GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 11:38:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop Static Issue  (Read 3593 times)

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
Prop Static Issue
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »

Never come across this before. I have a large prop around 1024* in source units compiled. In hammer it appears as a small white box in the model browser. If i place it in the level it shows up correctly in the orthographic views including textures but the bounding box is feckin huge. The model sits one of the bottom corners of the bounding box.

The model is also not viewable in 3D views.

This might be quite a common thing, might not, i have no idea. Anyone?

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Prop Static Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

The model not being viewable in 3D is normal, in Hammer props are only rendered if you're within 720 units of their origin, which means any model larger than that can never be seen as anything other than its bounding box.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:44 pm »

OH FFS

Guess i should have compiled it to see really... *facepalm.jpg*

Chz mate :)

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:08 am »

Ok so i compiled it and the model worked.

Problem is it doesnt light correctly because the bounding box is so huge it lies outside the map. This causes insanely detrimental lighting effects on the room in which the prop resides. I tried making the prop not cast shadows which fixes the room lighting but obviously not the lighting on the prop (which is jet black)

Im pretty sure this is to do with the bounding box. So i went back to max and imported the SMD to find that on compile my pivot had been moved miles off which is what ithought was causing the bounding box issue. I exported as an FBX and imported that and then exported THAT as an SMD then imported that to check and the pivot is fine (and the connecting bone) however the props bounding box is still messed up in exactly the same way.

I now have NO idea what the hell is doing this... and a black prop... wtf

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:41:09 am »

Why do you have a prop that big? unless its ridiculously high detailed it sounds like it should be made of brushes, or scaled down and placed in the skybox. Try using vertex lighting in the vrad compile options, that can fix issues with lighting origins by calculating lighting on the prop per-vertex.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:53:26 am »

Chz ill try it. Prepare to go nuts. Its essentially a rooms worth of railings. Its one giant prop because they have to be all bent and broken and messed up so as much as i could do it in sections and clone i thought there would be little point as most of the sections are unique.

The prop itself seems to work now. And im pretty sure if i can fix the bounding box issue the lighting would be fine. But i have no idea what the hell is causing it. Im guessing its a max pipeline issue but ive never seen it before and if im right none of you guys use max...

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:00:28 am »

You should split it up into smaller sections as seperate props. They can still share the same texture, and it'll be much more optimized with VIS hiding them seperately than having to show/hide them all as one. The lighting will be better too.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:30:21 am »

Will do... was getting lazy i guess... 20+ railing pieces here i come :P

Cheerz for the help guys

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »

You can increase the model render distance in Tools>Options>3D view, so it can be seen in hammer too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up