GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 03:03:08 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lots of reports of people's games crashing  (Read 7688 times)

null

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • null is looked down upon.
Lots of reports of people's games crashing
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:07:07 am »

Almost everyone i know has had their client crash multiple times, while i haven't been able to pinpoint why my game crashed, the only thing that helped were my settings in the screen shot I've attached.  I haven't found any good way to test this, maybe there are tools or logs i haven't looked into to help?

Null

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Lots of reports of people's games crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:34:15 am »

It's fairly well known that the main culprits of crashing are:

1) Playing on servers with higher than 20 player slots - game isn't designed or tested for this, it's pretty much objectively a broken game at higher playercounts and we're already pushing it with the resource usage in the engine with 16 players. The engine supports up to 32 players - Our mod does not.

2) Alt-Tabbing from / minimizing the game for a duration of time where the map changes to a resource intensive one - the engine farts hard and doesn't do anything well when it's not in focus. (Can be mitigated somewhat by running the game Windowed)

3) Servers not running our approved map chooser plugin - therefore circumventing our crash prevention method on map changes for people running in High texture detail.

4) Changing servers between or re-hosting local servers on resource intensive maps with High texture settings. This also circumvents our crash prevention method for map changes.
__

The temporary hotfix for #1 is server admins being responsible about the specs of their servers.

Other than #2 we're working on solutions for, for the next update. We can't do anything about #2 because we can't touch the engine's code.

For now #3 and #4 can be prevented by lowering your texture detail.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:41:02 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: Lots of reports of people's games crashing
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:24:51 am »

Also, I have read about people getting 4K by changing resolution back and forth between menus... In my personal experience, changing resolutions can make the engine unstable and crash. I use 2K with everything maxed in game, but Anti-aliasing, Anistropic Filtering, V-Sync I force on in Nvidia Control Panel and the game runs perfect. Something else worth mentioning is that trying to force multithreading via 'mat_queue_mode' causes a crash, I found this out from personal experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up