GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:47:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Music (genuine GE Style)  (Read 23516 times)

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
Music (genuine GE Style)
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »

Hello dear GE-Source guys,

I always have been a huge fan of Goldeneye and everything that has to do something with it.
Besides I am a huge fan of Eric Serra's music and I make music on my own.
I already did music for various German hobbyfilms, I did music for a radioshow here in Switzerland and I even made some music for a TV station once.
My secret and hidden passion always was making music in the dark and heavy style as heard in Goldeneye but also to improve it and make it a little bit more modern sounding, like adding good beats and electric instruments.
Recently I finally made a song coming very near to the GE universe (with all the remarkable sounds of Goldeneye like the "sonar" sound or the deep and heavy huumm-sounds), friends of mine and I had the idea to make this music public and I would love to make my contribution to this game and finally fulfill my dream of making Goldeneye music for something serious.

I hope there`s a way to send you this piece of music, or please give me the permission to upload it or post the Link to the file.
The reason I don`t want to post without your permission is, I don`t want anyone to get in trouble just because I shared a song with the bond pattern in it.

If you would like to hear anything else from me please visit my page: www.yanzen-solutions.ch

Contact me via: ranzen_13@hotmail.com (that`s also my MSN, feel free to add me)

My Programs are: Cubase 5, Sampletank 2.5 XL, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, EWQL Colossus

I would really be gratefull if could take my application seriously and I would love to work together with you guys and make this mod as good as it gets :)

Cheers,

Yannick
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:18:34 pm by Goldenzen »
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Music (genuine GE Style)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:40:22 pm »

Please give a link to the file, because we can't consider anything without seeing it :D.

ExtraNoise

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ExtraNoise has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:44:01 am »

I really liked the music on your website. Great work! Has a great Hans Zimmer feel to it.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:31:17 am »

Here is what the textbook no-fun side of me sez:

The music on your website contained some nice original ideas.  The instrumentation corresponded well with the intended atmosphere.

While the motifs were interesting, the pieces I thought were characteristically too repetitive - lacking movement.  I noticed this in melody, harmony, and form.  If that is what you intended, then you have met your mark. 

However, in spite of mirroring the melodic motifs through varying groups of instruments, and the addition of the electronic bells and whistles, the music presented should probably be considered for further revision.

Here is what regular me sez:

I really don't want to come off as mean.  Overall, I like it, it's just that I think that you could dazzle some more spice into it - add color and life, because right now, it sounds a bit copied and pasted.

You've got a good start, but I would definitely go back and see where elements may be improved.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:50:58 am »

We have about 4 people able to do the range of styles on this project already. Of course that doesnt mean all the music is done, classic remakes are far from done. 2 are done, almost 3 of the 20something needed.

If you DO classic remixes of goldeneye first and apply with those, then we see how good you are at that - it would be the quickest way to actually helping the mod, as opposed to being brought on as a music artist because you have talent from unrelated projects. We want results, not another talented artist - is my harsh point made.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:57:18 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:18:49 am »

Listening to your works reminds me of when I used to listen to old school Metallica songs played out on MIDI (back in 1997). They had the beats and the melodies, but they lacked the background effect, punch, and overall atmosphere required of Metallica (not to mention the killer riffs and vocals).

You would have to capture the MOOD of the level / game in order to truly succeed amongst our current sound artists. Listen to their music and do a side by side comparison to yours, you will hear what I mean. The music is there to engage the player, not to just be in the background to drown out some other shitty sound effects.

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 04:58:09 am »

Go ahead and post this Goldeneye track you speak of to give us a sense of your feel for the Goldeneye mood. Writing music for Goldeneye is very different from writing in the style of today's epic shooters as your music seems to tend toward (COD, Halo, Rainbow Six, etc).

I did listen to several of your tracks, and noticed a wide range of apparent skill. "The CBD Commando Theme" was very good with an obvious grasp of samples, whereas others were noticeably weak (such as the "Fight on the Edge" - those machine gun marcato strings need some work). I might recommend purging some of your older works from your page as you continue looking for new projects, as they might actually work against you. Better to have three or four killer tracks up for people to listen to than ten with several so-so ones mixed in.

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 06:21:50 am »

Hello guys,

wow thank you very much for all the comments, I really appreciate it. You are absolutely right, the big range of quality in my pieces commes from the fact that some of them are a bit older. I am going to delete some. The CBD stuff is quite new actually, and meanwhile I have even better programs.

Here`s the Goldeneye track, hope you`ll like it:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The_GE_Walkthrough.MP3

Greets,

Yannick
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:25:48 am by Goldenzen »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:01:14 am »

I used to listen to old school Metallica songs played out on MIDI
Hear that? That's Lars hopping into the Justicemobile, coming to break your kneecaps for soundcrime.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:58:12 pm »

shall I delete the link ? Was that comment for me ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:59:56 pm by Goldenzen »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 05:14:36 pm »

Ignore vc, it was a metallica joke directed at killermonkey, see the quote he posted? Nothing to do with your music, he went off topic.

Now a refined word from me, I finally get your intention now that ive heard this sample track.....you want to make your own movie SCORE in the style of GoldenEye but more friendly to videogame music? Pretty neat if thats so because you REALLY stay close to serra's style.

The one thing to note is your arrangement is a little too messy, and its not mastered well at this point.

My final question, are you planning to be doing original eric serra score style for our levels, or taking each levels arrangement from the GAME and tailoring it to an eric serra score style with your samples. Thats the only thing i cant work out :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 05:28:44 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

No, it was a subtle anti-anti-piracy dig.

Just listened to the GE one and to me it sounds off. The sound effects are all over the place, they feel scattered, everything seems to be off the beat like a junior high school band, and there doesn't really seem to be a melody beyond the normal four-note 007 theme.

I really liked CBD even though the style doesn't really fit what's already been done for GES. The only weird thing about it (for me) is it sounds a lot like Kiss Him Goodbye.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 06:29:22 pm »

Hi there,

thanks again for your comments. This song was just an example to show what is possible. I can try and work out more complex song structures and look for the song to be a little more less messy as some of you described.

@wakeofthebunt: Yeah ! That is absolutely my intention. I like Serra's style but also the GE game music (still got the music on my MP3 player ). I want to get beat and the rhythmic of the GE game, the dark style of Serra and a good load of my artwork to make it special.

To be very honest I would like to do my own tracks, but if you need me for something else we sure can talk about that.
Could you please also describe what you mean with the "bad mastered" thing ? How could I do it better ?

If you like we could get in touch or talk about an "auditioning piece": I do a piece of music you could need, with some of your instructions. Together with your great hints I am sure we can work out some good tracks.

Thanks and cheers,

Yannick
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:43:18 pm by Goldenzen »

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »

Complex structures only work if the smaller components compliment one another, and facilitate larger sections, if not the entirety of the piece itself.  There's no point in putting a fugue in the middle of an expanded rondo from if it doesn't make any sense.

If there's one lesson I've learned, it's that simplicity is unmistakable - in more ways than one.

If the orchestration, harmonic, rhythmic, and melodic motion are intricate, concise, well arranged and implemented, then the form can be very simple.

I would recommend not only listening, but studying the work done so far - it will give insight into motion (the "plot line,") provide ideas for variations of the motifs, and illustrate examples for how to foster continuity between musical concepts and ideas into a manifestation through sound.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:34:13 pm »

I personally liked the overall sound his track, it reminded me (a lot) of my favorite part of Eric Serra's GE Movie soundtrack, "The Goldeneye Overture", with the background ambient noise, the strings playing the bond theme, and the timpani (I think that's the name of it) playing a steady beat in the background. Also, it's much different than anything I've heard from Basstronix or Audix, in that it has a much darker sound very reminiscent of the movie.

Only complaint is the seemingly random bits here in there, kinda like what mookie said.

(Examples: the seemingly random background sound effects at 0:51, 1:00, 1:22, especially 1:34, and 1:41, and the like.)
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up