GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:40:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 Music Revisted  (Read 45961 times)

L. Spiro

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!
Re: GoldenEye 007 Music Revisted
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 11:06:08 pm »

As a result of this conversation (http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=72173&sid=52a934c65c9827fc7ecd7ec0870282cf#72173) I will redo GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark one last time.

I had previously resigned myself to the fact that there are no practical solutions to the X-pan vs. arc-pan volume issues, but was aware that in special cases, such as those in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, where all samples of all instruments have a centered pan, it is possible to get the correct results with my "expression" adjustments.

This is being demonstrated even right now as I put up more and more 100% balanced Banjo-Tooie songs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727OfHutCk6mlIbr0AGk61HOn
The balance in every single song is spot-on with the game.

Since I am determined to provide the world with the "final" set of recordings for all of their favorite Nintendo 64 games, I can't accept this X-pan/arc-pan volume issue unless there is 100% no way to solve it.

Well, there is a way to solve it.
The way to solve it is to move the non-centered samples to their own tracks and use MIDI "expression" to handle them there.
Having done this in the past, it can create an explosion of tracks, and I can only record 16 at a time.  If you have 33 tracks, you have to record 16, then 16, then 1, and then combine their WAV's into the final song at the end.  My scripts do this for me and are accurate to the sample, but that means 3 recording sessions for 1 song.
If you move all the non-centered samples to their own tracks, you can easily end up with 60-100 tracks.

In short, there is a solution.  It's just slow and tedious and will increase the amount of work I have to do for each OST significantly.

But whatever it takes is whatever it takes.
I will record GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark both, one last time.

Just let me finish with Banjo-Tooie and Banjo-Kaoozie first.

I will also be announcing a new project related to GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark soon, and it's not small news.  I have an epic-level project starting up soon, far bigger and more exciting than these never-before CD-quality music release (a new never-before is coming), but I want to make a prototype before I give a full explanation/release.

Regards,
L. Spiro
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:43:25 am by L. Spiro »

JamieF4178

• Y2K Girl
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • JamieF4178 has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:52 am »

A level project? Like a new map? Or even better, a map pack? Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see it :)

L. Spiro

• Agent
  • L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 07:42:20 am »

A level project? Like a new map? Or even better, a map pack? Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see it :)
As shown in my introductory post, I do indeed have the 3D level data and textures directly from GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark (I don’t just have musical assets) and other games.
https://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,8674.0.html
And it will indeed be used for what I will announce.

But this epic project involves Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, and more…
And it’s the kind that drives fans crazy, but what could it be…?

Just be sure you have a safe spot for your body to land when you faint from reading it.  Just a few more weeks…

L. Spiro

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 03:10:51 am »

Perfectly balanced GoldenEye 007 (final recordings, forever) added to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727PT17V5AzCkZYEQqeuVm01E
FLAC available for download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kahlllo8ddyh6c7/GoldenEye%20007.rar?dl=0

Perfectly balanced final recordings of Perfect Dark in-progress.

L. Spiro

Captain George

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Captain George has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 04:38:02 pm »

This is pretty neat, thanks!

L. Spiro

• Agent

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 04:01:40 pm »

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:10:37 am by L. Spiro »

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 08:05:43 pm »

Awesome!

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 09:31:35 pm »

After speaking with the composers and the guy at Rare who did their MIDI implementation, as well as updating my synthesizer to a new firmware that has fixed a bug I reported to Yamaha, this Perfect Dark restoration represents the pinnacle of my work.  It is completely accurate in terms of panning, balance, etc., and will scratch the itches of all people who are looking for the ultimate in a faithful crisp clear clean restoration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tol8ri2bba3v063/Perfect%20Dark.rar?dl=0

GoldenEye 007 is already being recorded using all the same settings and accuracy.
YouTube videos will be available within the week, at which point I will bump again.

L. Spiro

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 12:38:25 am »

After speaking with the composers and the guy at Rare who did their MIDI implementation, as well as updating my synthesizer to a new firmware that has fixed a bug I reported to Yamaha, this Perfect Dark restoration represents the pinnacle of my work.  It is completely accurate in terms of panning, balance, etc., and will scratch the itches of all people who are looking for the ultimate in a faithful crisp clear clean restoration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tol8ri2bba3v063/Perfect%20Dark.rar?dl=0

GoldenEye 007 is already being recorded using all the same settings and accuracy.
YouTube videos will be available within the week, at which point I will bump again.

L. Spiro

I can't wait! Keep up the good work for us fans!

L. Spiro

• Agent

eriksan008

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • eriksan008 has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »

Nice work! I listened to the PD and GE007 tunes a lot as a kid!

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 11:41:32 pm »

I thought I had mentioned it here but I guess not.  Normally I would post my previous recordings with a caveat that they would be redone if I learned about the exact algorithms used for reverb.
I finally did learn all the details regarding how the MIDI reverb works in GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark, and it turns out that it is actually very important to match the dry->wet balance for everything to truly sound good, and the reverb in GoldenEye 007 (but not Perfect Dark) draws sounds nearer to the center, so there are also certain characteristics of the reverb that are critical to mimic during the restore process.

The balance from dry to wet is what gave me balance problems in the past and why sometimes certain sounds would be too loud etc.
With that part of the puzzle solved I now am able to make truly mathematically correct restores in terms of balance and pan.  Have a listen for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727OrLod3kmWZWrj6tl7IQiO- Perfect Dark
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727PT17V5AzCkZYEQqeuVm01E GoldenEye 007

I have marked the sets that correctly replicate the dry->wet balance as HD (Pilotwings 64 also has this although I did not mark it as HD).
Everything marked as HD is completely final.  There are no further reasons for me to re-record these OST's.
I have gotten many complaints about the sounds of Runway X, Dam X, and Silo X.  Here they are, finally correct, exactly as they are in the games but in HD, crisp and clear.

Enjoy!

L. Spiro
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up