GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 07:49:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 91215: Good Idea, Bad Idea  (Read 11766 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 91215: Good Idea, Bad Idea
« on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »

Good Idea: Finally watch Live and Let Die on DVD to study the Baron a bit and get a feel for the appropriate giggles.

Bad Idea: Become immediately infected with the Grey Death by a member of the shopaholic public while at work, losing the ability to speak or go more than three hours without half-napping for an equal amount of time.

So I'm not recording until the vox comes back, so that brings me to the scripting.  KM set me up with some templates so I'm sudying them when I'm concious and hopefully I'll get Living Daylights and maybe L&LD in progress this week.

The best part about killing viruses with runaway fever isn't the green-brown sinus slime, it's telling the internet about your almost-needing-drugs-to-induce-them dreams.  I played a few designs of Goldeneye: Source: Missions (lovin' that colon chain) and awoke with some notes on how we need to score the thing.  Just as gameplay will likely be similar to L4D, since L4D is Rush/Survive vs. Disrupt/Destroy and GE007 is Rush/Survive/Objectives vs. Disrupt/Destroy, we need to give some thought into how to arrange things.  People won't likely have time to play through the whole game of missions, everyone will want to be Bond and Sidekick, but we can't even rotate through all players that way without playing through all the missions, and we must augment the objectives a bit, since Bond can't look at his watch and restart the mission because he shot Doak in the ass.  I also need to in-depth stats on damage (been lazy about that, parking it behind the whole mapping thing) and I'm thinking that we will probably need to ensure that the Guards are normally pretty bad.  First thoughts: half-normal running speed while equipping a weapon other than Slappers, halved fire and reload rates, no motion while aiming, and limited strafing potential.  We also need Animation to help them do a barrel roll, since that's actually a guard tactic in this game.  (Press crouch and strafe twice!)

Also, whoever mapped the part of mydream_dam.bsp that runs from the blocked end (beyond the bungee spot) into that shit that was really a CSS custom map that my brain inserted in there, watch the clipping, crates should not intersect with rock displacements, don't fuck up the weapon spawns.  RCP90 does not belong there.

You read that correctly.  I dreamed of bad mapping jobs.  Spawns were crummy too.  The first two russian guards had Oddjob and (old) Ouromov models as stand-ins.  Ouromov hit me in the foot with a throwing knife as I was leaving spawn.  Asshole.

My head hurts.  Two more hours before I get to go to the medicine cabinet and emit a rasping pills here!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:52:20 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: VC's Laboratory 91215: Good Idea, Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »

Also, whoever mapped the part of mydream_dam.bsp that runs from the blocked end (beyond the bungee spot) into that shit that was really a CSS custom map that my brain inserted in there, watch the clipping, crates should not intersect with rock displacements, don't fuck up the weapon spawns.  RCP90 does not belong there.

You read that correctly.  I dreamed of bad mapping jobs.  Spawns were crummy too.  The first two russian guards had Oddjob and (old) Ouromov models as stand-ins.  Ouromov hit me in the foot with a throwing knife as I was leaving spawn.  Asshole.

One of the best parts of being extremely sick is the crazy hallucinations. Whenever I get sick like that and I'm lying on the couch or bed or whatever, my brain always has to cycle through every object in the room or thought in my head five times, pull it apart and see how it works, then re-assemble it with magic fairy dust or something like that and place it back neatly wherever it was.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:36 pm »

Nice ideas you had there. I'd love to see some barrel roll online action.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:55:23 pm »

[Peppy]Do a barrel role!!![/Peppy]
Not sure if i should say get well soon, since your hallucinations are quite entertaining... at least for us.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:55 pm »

My head hurts.  Two more hours before I get to go to the medicine cabinet and emit a rasping pills here!
Well, at least my dream insertion device works.

Did the pseudo-hallucinogenic guards make the correct pain and death noises?

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »

It always amazes me how VC can come up with such crap during certain times where I would be out sick like a dog passed out on my bed. Hazah!!

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:00:35 pm »

Today work was really boring, so I cooked up a way to support Team Living Daylights.  It'll probably work once I finish debugging the idea.  I need to ensure there aren't any ways to exploit the system or any dominant strategies.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »

Things that be, if you ever played ge_caverns.hom.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 01:21:06 pm »

Nyquil puts me in an instant hallucination usually involving dwarves

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:26 pm »

Good choice.
I should start using it when sick, 'cause then the blur will seem interesting.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:22:36 pm »

Nyquil puts me in an instant hallucination usually involving dwarves

OHhhh shit mee too dude, its like im on speed. i had to stop taking it when i was a little kid cause some chemical in it screws me up makes me run around all crazy... maybe i should start partying with nyquil?
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:02:59 am »

Old NyQuil turned into nyquiladas and hilarity ensued, but now that anything as strong as Tylenol requires photo ID, SS number, and an ankle bracelet, all the good stuff was taken out so it doesn't have much in the way of medicinal property anymore.  Still makes you dizzy though so knock yourself out.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 01:36:05 am »

Still diseased as hell but I'll see if I can get the most basic Living Daylights implementation set up tonight.

Off Topic Weblog Blah: There's this guy who keeps asking me what's up in the GESiverse every few days.  I talk enough already, so watching this thread is a lot better than popping up on my screen every time I open Steam.  As in, Steam hasn't even finished loading and there it is.  So anyway, tonight he asks a dumb question, I give a dumber answer, and he tells me to shut up.  As you all know, I love fulfilling requests, so I blocked him so there wouldn't be a chance of him accidently messaging me and me accidently breaking the "shut up" request by responding.

I also literally lol'd, which was bad because my throat still hurts.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:02:59 am »

You're good at keeping promises...
(Whether the promise is made verbal or not.)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:17 am »

VC...driest humor I know...:)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up