GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 01:46:51 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory: The Living Daylights, first draft.  (Read 20959 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory: The Living Daylights, first draft.
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:10 am »

KM expressed a desire to get The Living Daylights up and running for Beta 4.  Obviously, not unlike The Man With the Golden Gun, it will need some tweaks to handle 24 pub monkeys spamming it up.  Live and Let Die testing in OWS has shown that the one-vs-many opens the door for many players to not be able to do much, and thus have difficulty having fun.  (Which is something I will ponder on for when I re-tool L&LD)

So, while teaching my lunch the meaning of OM NOM NOM NOM, I told myself to fix The Living Daylights, and so I did.  Here're the details.  Obviously figures are subject to testing but I think this set of mechanics addresses all the gameplay issues I could think of between NOMs.

The Living Daylights

Scenario: Players compete for possession of the token, which is required for normal earning of points.  The flag-bearer player is forced to be unarmed and cannot drop the token -- it is held until the player dies.

Gameplay Mechanics

Holding the token.
Picking up the token earns 1 point.  Additional points are earned every X seconds, where X is the token's value level, which increases by one every time a point is earned for possession, limited to 10.  (Thus, you get a possession point after 1 second, then after 2 seconds, then after 3 more, etc., up to 10 second intervals.)

Flag-bearer melee.
The flag-bearer has only one weapon, slappers.  A slap delivered to any player steals one point from that player.

Suicide.
If the flag-bearer commits suicide, points are lost equal to the token's value level.  (This effectively removes all time-earned points, unless the token has been held for a minute or longer.)

Health and Armor.
The flag-bearer is restored to 100/100 when the token is acquired.  Armor cannot be acquired by the flag-bearer.

Pickups.
Since the flag-bearer has no use for items -- ammo cannot be fired, weapons cannot be used, armor cannot be gained -- pickups are converted into time applied to the possession clock, thus:
Ammo Crate: 2 seconds.
Weapon: 3 seconds.
Armor Plate: 5 seconds.
Body Armor: 7 seconds.

Escaping combat.
When the flag-bearer is wounded, a ten-second clock is started. If the flag-bearer survives until that clock expires, a point is earned for a successful escape.  (Any damage before the clock expires resets the clock to 10.)

Player speed.
The flag-bearer receives a speed boost.  +50% is probably about right.  (This ensures that the game is about map strategy and not just 11 people following behind one guy spamming Klobbs.)

Swiping the flag.
If a player kills the flag-bearer with a melee weapon, a bonus equal to the token's value level is immediately stolen from the flag-bearer.

Extra flags.
Tokens will be spawned such that there is one for every four players in the game.  This spreads out the action and prevents people from suffering spawning in a "dead" part of the map.  When the player count decreases such that there are too many tokens, when a token would be dropped, it is instead removed from play, and the player who killed that flag-bearer earns points equal to half of that flag's value level, rounded up, since that player did not receive a chance to carry the now-removed token.

Achievement Draft.
Boris the Bullet-dodger
While playing as Boris, escape after receiving bullet damage eight times during one possession of the token.

Jolly Roger (4+ players)
During one possession of the token, steal at least one point from each other player by slapping them.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
Re: VC's Laboratory: The Living Daylights, first draft.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:49:44 am »

Sounds sexy, VC. Although I'm a little puzzled with the Pickups part. Do they count as that many seconds towards you hold time?
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:23 am »

Correct.  If you picked up the flag and immediately touched a body armor, you would get 1 point for getting the token, plus 7 seconds for armor, which would give you your first three possession points (1 second + 2 seconds + 3 seconds = 6) and one second toward your fourth possession point.

Thus, in the same time, you get more points by running around and grabbing items than if you just hide in a corner.  Since the easiest points are the early ones (you get No. 10 at 55 seconds and No. 20 at 155), in a populated game, pickups will allow you to get more points out of short possessions.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:29 am »

Right on, just clarifying on that one. Sounds like a solid game type.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to owning you in it. :P  :angel:

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:07 pm »

One question:
Suicide.
If the flag-bearer commits suicide, points are lost equal to the token's value level.  (This effectively removes all time-earned points, unless the token has been held for a minute or longer.)
Does this ensure it's more than being killed by another player (by a melee weapon, that is). Otherwise we'll be seeing people jumping off the end of the ramps in order to lose fewer points than getting knifed.

It's looking great, very promising. Been waiting for this mode for a long time.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 12:25:40 am »

You would lose the same amount by suiciding as if the token is stolen. The difference is that the assailant wouldn't gain any points.

The use of suicide to circumvent game mechanics is a problem greater than just this scenario.  But it's easily solved: put kill and explode on a ten-second delay so it's only useful if you are legitimately stuck.

Hey KM, put kill and explode on a ten-second delay so it's only useful if you are legitimately stuck.

Oh, and I'm probably going to add a constant of 2 or 3 seconds atop each possession point cycle and reduce the pickup values to 1/2/3/5 before the first test.  I think the draft amounts put too much emphasis on trivial possessions and a large server is going to have ten-second item respawns, which will make whoring an item-heavy area too lucrative.  The upper level of the Runway Hangar would be at least four crates, three weapons, and a full armor. (I forget if the punk weapon has crates up there?)  That's 24 (28?) seconds of item credit in one pass; I think 15 (17?) is much more respectable.  I want the items to be an edge, not the goal.

We need to get our asses in gear!  With some sexy modelling work, when not slapping, token-bearer should have his Q Watch held up zomg liek teh Spy with the hands indicating the escape timer, points earned this possession, and time to next point.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:40:12 am by Viashino Cutthroat »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:16:04 am »

Ah, I've been thinking about LDL since 1.1h. Awesome news.

With some sexy modelling work, when not slapping, token-bearer should have his Q Watch held up zomg liek teh Spy with the hands indicating the escape timer, points earned this possession, and time to next point.

I'm liking the sound of that.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:01 am »

We need to get our asses in gear!  With some sexy modelling work, when not slapping, token-bearer should have his Q Watch held up zomg liek teh Spy with the hands indicating the escape timer, points earned this possession, and time to next point.

Or more importantly, we need a flag model for the player to pick up.

Seeing the Bond watch actually keep time would be amazing, and now that I think about it not too hard to do.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:02:06 am »

Seeing the Bond watch actually keep time would be amazing, and now that I think about it not too hard to do.

That's been tossed around by a lot of people since 1.1. ;)
But yes, the mode's "token" model (lawlawl) would be first in line.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:03:58 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:34:04 am »

Or more importantly, we need a flag model for the player to pick up.

Not that hard to do with the new python interface. Does a modeler want to make a flag?

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:24 am »

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:03 am »

EXCELLENT! Except that will the point system be 1pt for 1 second, an additional 2pts for 2 seconds, and an additional 3 points for 3 seconds, or will it be 1pt/sec?

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »

My plan is regressive.  You get more points per time at first and it slows down.  This prevents one long run from dominating the points awarded.

Aside: dealing with some computer and non-computer crappery; didn't get any python study in last weekend.  Bah.

What we should do is use the integrated web browser in Source.  You would hit the HALP MEH! key and it would load a special wiki page that gives a quick explanation of the current scenario.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:57 pm »

What we should do is use the integrated web browser in Source.  You would hit the HALP MEH! key and it would load a special wiki page that gives a quick explanation of the current scenario.

That should work.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up