GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:44:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90830: Video Fail  (Read 17954 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 90830: Video Fail
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:50:01 pm »

Apparently my video card has gone emo.  Last night it started throwing texture corruptions at me and then it started drawing sparkles on my desktop and this morning it's drawing regular patterns of text garbage over my POST and I can't get beyond the terminal prompt without the whole system rebooting itself.

I'm completely out of the loop in regard to what's a good deal, so I'm taking advice.

1) Just replacing the video card.  No sense in going for power here since Source bottlenecks on the processor.
2) Getting a whole new box on the cheap.  It would be an opportunity for more FPS, but I've heard Intel has big things coming in the next year so it may be a dumb time to buy up.

I was on an 8800 GTS, which apparently is extinct, so I don't know what the closest match is, but if I can get the closest match for cheap I'd like to just throw that in and get rolling.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: VC's Laboratory 90830: Video Fail
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »

well, all I can really give you to help is an article from Toms Hardware saying the best graphics cards for the money you want to spend for August 2009.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2387-2.html

It has the different price ranges in there. Hopefully, that will help. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »

I'm still running an 8800 GTS and I love it, just buy another on newegg for like $50

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:08:33 am »

I loved it until it smoked crack.

I tried Newegg, it is deactivated.  Otherwise it would be on the UPS truck right now.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01:21 am »

did you try looking at some of the ones on that website? There are some between 50-70 dollars...unless you already found something you were looking for.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:37:59 am »

I'd say go with a cheap Nvidia 260 for like $170. Big performance and somewhat cheap(of course thats if your pushing a large resolution, maybe 1680x1050 or higher).

Maybe a 9800gtx for like $130.

ATI 4850 is pretty good. I have the 4870 and no real complaints, but I like Nvidia as more technologies support them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:40:19 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:36:22 pm »

I did the Toms Hardware thing and got a 9600GT on order.  Now to find things to do while I wait.  Maybe build some new furniture.  My old desk just doesn't have as much FPS skill as I do, and I think it is holding me back.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:42 pm »

Cheap NVDIA 9600 GTS (comparable to the 8800): $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121314R

NVIDIA GTS 250 w/ Free Shipping: $109
INCLUDES $20 MAIL-IN REBATE, makes it $89!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127423

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 03:22:32 pm »

Too late. You had your post, you said to get more of the same.

Seriously, every fucking thing this week is going fucking shitty for me. Now I've got a fucking scrub video card when I could've had something non shit. God fucking dammit.  How many hundred dollar bills am I going to see burst into fucking flames next.

I should've just gone into debt and bought a whole new system, then taken this EVGA money pit out back.  Then I could use it to break-in my new rifle.  The northbridge could count as the 10 ring.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:27:01 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:25:57 am »

You can cancel an order quickly... or return it.. or continue to cry...

Test your rifle on a 2L soda bottle, it's much more dramatic then a computer

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:12:41 am »

I don't drink that crap anymore. I decided that it was better to lose weight than to lose teeth.

It already said the order could not be changed when I posted.

Returning is probably more hassle than just buying another video card when I do build a new machine someday.

CCsaint10

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:24:32 am »

I don't drink that crap anymore. I decided that it was better to lose weight than to lose teeth.

It already said the order could not be changed when I posted.

Returning is probably more hassle than just buying another video card when I do build a new machine someday.

Hey man, I wouldn't worry too much. Like you said, source generally bottlenecks on the processor...therefore you should be ok, right? It isn't like the 9600 GT is a bad card. Yeah, you might have been able to get a better card, but would it have really made that much of a difference with the rest of the rig you have? I don't know, personally, I would love to have a 9600 GT right now since I am stuck with a Radeon 3650 :(

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 09:06:17 pm »

Overpriced, underpowered video card is installed and running.  Now I need to find some more excuses to lazy.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »

Overpriced, underpowered video card is installed and running.  Now I need to find some more excuses to lazy.

Wonder what you'd say if you were running on a Radeon X1600 Pro, like me...

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »

I would say "What the hell is this ATi shit doing being in physical contact with my property?" and then defenestration would ensue.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »

I would say "What the hell is this ATi shit doing being in physical contact with my property?" and then defenestration would ensue.

Glad to know you like Ati's so much.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »

A word exists for throwing things or people out of windows. Go figure.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up