GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 03:41:58 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90808  (Read 23139 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 90808
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:54:36 pm »

Been a while.  After I noticed too few playtests of my maps, after complex annoyed me, and after I didn't see my grenade launcher get a proper model, or pickup item, I decided to ragequit for a few months.

However, those of you who are playing 3.1 have probably seen me pop in at WNx Club during the last few evenings.  I'm trying to get myself motivated and started on classics again.  Mostly because I'm close to starting on a new version of my little mapping tool.  I'm tossing around the idea of making it bullet-proof and releasing it as a real-live tool for GES mappers to make making on-scale maps easier.  Since Goldeneye's map scale doesn't fit well with Hammer's idea of a unit, making things fit is difficult.  So I'm looking into a system that will scale the geometry, adjust the textures, all that fun stuff outside of hammer.  My vision is you'd make the map in hammer on the usual scale, then wash the VMF through and out pops a map with the generic tile size adjusted to the size used on the classic map of your choice, like Temple or Facility.  Or heaven forbid Complex.

Cougar Magnum is going to be cruel on Complex, I can feel it.

So there; I'll probably be mapping again sorta-soon if nothing gets in my way (and many things have been recently), and since we have someone doing textures now, things will probably be looking sharper, too.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: VC's Laboratory 90808
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:12 pm »

That sounds really good. Glad you picked up some pace after that short hiatus. I'm glad too for the fact I didn't run into you on the club because otherwise I'd be hitting the floor on the rank table. I wish you good luck with that toll you're thinking about developing.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:02:48 pm »

I wish you good luck with that toll you're thinking about developing.
<insert witty comment>

He comes back no longer as Magna Centipede. (X's 1-3 are for the win, by the way)
Almost joined a few WNx rounds, but stopped as I'd have just been dropping my ass to the grass.

Great to hear the end of the extended rage quit, and thumbs up giving extra power to the people.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:20 pm »

I hate playing on WNx because the server can't handle the player load.  I wind up spamming AR33 and UFO because AuG isn't fatal after three or four blood decals.  So bad.

1 was the best, 2 was the most interesting, 3 was a little weak, but mostly it was the end of the era.  Went off a cliff after that.  Last time I switched back to VC on Steam Commie, one of my friends dropped me because she's like "who the hell's this?" and somehow she didn't notice the avatar icon... girls are like that.  A big picture of a guy riding citrus is ignored, but you say one word that could possibly be misconstrued and they never miss it.

The bad news is that KM is going to break for a little while, which means no code and thus no testing because no one does tests unless KM does the rounding-up of doods.

I got today off so I invested the time into solving physics.  Made some headway, too.  Makes me feel like accelerating some particles.  But first I'll need money to build one.  I should collect a toll...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:28:36 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »

Hey VC, I'm glad you're back  :-) - although I didn't notice you were gone since I was doing other things myself. :-/

As for KM I think it's a shame he's taking a break right now when you've just returned, but I guess he surely did a lot in the meantime (or it wouldn't be KM ^^).

Offtopic:
When I was playing on a WNx server recently, someone was saying something like "why don't you do the runaway SP mission for beta 4?" or "would it be possible to do the runaway SP mission in beta 4 since it shouldn't take that long?" and as I recall he got a positive response (I'm not exactly sure if it was you who replied to that question but I think at least it was someone from the dev-team). Anyway is this SP mission under consideration?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be just one mission made for one map like Runway (not "runaway").

Programming SP AI isn't easy at all (from what I understand) and you also have to take into consideration the huge amount of art assets required as well (guard models, large numbers of character animations, objective items, mission-specific weapons, etc.) I'm pretty sure it'll be a long time before any sort of SP will come out.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be just one mission made for one map like Runway (not "runaway").

Programming SP AI isn't easy at all (from what I understand) and you also have to take into consideration the huge amount of art assets required as well (guard models, large numbers of character animations, objective items, mission-specific weapons, etc.) I'm pretty sure it'll be a long time before any sort of SP will come out.

Making the missions and the story line is the easiest part of development that is all entity I/O, but like yuo said, its the assets that take for-the-fuck-ever

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:41:58 pm »

Ooops, my typo. >.<

You're right AI seems pretty tricky but then again except for the guard models and the tank the rest would be there. (you could of course argue about the map-layout not being classic if you just used the version that is used for multiplayer atm)
I was just asking cause I read that in the ingame chat.
It just sounded strange (since I know everyone always said "multiplayer first") so I wanted to have that either confirmed (less likely) or denied (more likely).

Anyway, thanks SSL, I'm informed now ;-)

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:20 pm »

You heard correctly.

KM and I have already kicked around a lot of ideas regarding Single Player.  The problem is that there is no real need to replicate Goldeneye 007 Single Player.  You have it on N64 and on your emulatadores.  It would be nice, but it's still a bottom priority.

So, what we're looking at is the plausibility of what is tentitively named Goldeneye: Source Missions.  I was thinking about Single Player and the good and bad parts of Left 4 Dead, and worked up a proposal.  KM gave it a 90% thumbs-up, and as we know, I've persevered in the face of 100% GTFO responses, so that's no problem.  Anyway, Runway was a good idea, because it's something we can script up pretty easily.  I'll probably fiddle with it once 4 is in the wild.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:35:20 pm »

You heard correctly.

KM and I have already kicked around a lot of ideas regarding Single Player.  The problem is that there is no real need to replicate Goldeneye 007 Single Player.  You have it on N64 and on your emulatadores.  It would be nice, but it's still a bottom priority.

So, what we're looking at is the plausibility of what is tentitively named Goldeneye: Source Missions.  I was thinking about Single Player and the good and bad parts of Left 4 Dead, and worked up a proposal.  KM gave it a 90% thumbs-up, and as we know, I've persevered in the face of 100% GTFO responses, so that's no problem.  Anyway, Runway was a good idea, because it's something we can script up pretty easily.  I'll probably fiddle with it once 4 is in the wild.

Cant wait!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:20 pm »

Too bad. You're going to.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 03:17:35 pm »

Hope to see you mapping once again soon, VC. I'd rather see more thorough work on current works before you go into "single player" stuff.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 03:22:59 pm »

Indeed.  Mostly, any attention to single payer at this point is a matter of it being convenient to play with at the time.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:06:42 pm »

*cough* bunker classic *cough* :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

*passes Robitussin*
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »

Ah, yes, that thing that made me say AW FUCK DIS SHIT and throw my computer out the window and vow to not do a damn thing until I finish working on custom software to handle the offset detection.

I'm going to either be jury duty or four-hour shifts this week, so I'll probably have time to get something done in that direction.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 04:04:30 am »

Oh that is right! I forgot about the program you were talking about that is supposed to spit the right scale out for you. Hope it works out man.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »

It will once I get it up and running.  I made a big list of things I need to do and the order they need to be done, and it fell about halfway down the list.  I've been keeping busy enough that when I find two hours I feel more like wasting it in TF2 or L4D than in trying to work on code.

But since I work the night shift today, I'm hackin' at code right now.  Wheee, sorta.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »

I've been keeping busy enough that when I find two hours I feel more like wasting it in TF2 or L4D

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 11:49:13 am »

Yep. Like last night.  But I slept all damn day yesterday and I work only a half-shift today, so maybe I'll do something productive.  Or at least I'll just keep telling myself that.

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 11:23:41 am »

yeah cool i hope there will be s GE:S Mission as soon as possible. Ha i am interesting how facility would be to play. Make an CO-OP Mission with Trevelyan, fight trough the bottling room, and so on,..... Ha everything like in the movie. Great.

Still any updates/information about GE:S Missions ?
Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »

The only thing to be said about missions is "in the distant future."  Missions is nothing more than a name and a concept at this point.

• Secret Agent
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 01:21:48 pm »

I hope this "future" will not be in 2012 or up. I don´t want to wait so long. Well who want it ?
Or maybe only one mission... ?  For example facility, or Cradle ?
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »

If we can do one we can do them all.  All the work goes into making the first one function.

• Secret Agent
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »

Yes i only thoght about a littel GE:S Mission Demo, where you can play in only 1 level. Only for example.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 05:04:26 pm »

If we can do one we can do them all.  All the work goes into making the first one function.

Golly gee, your just Chock-full of quotes! :p

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up