GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 10:34:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Cartogratorium: Library  (Read 12932 times)

jjmusicnotes

Re: VC's Cartogratorium: Library
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »

If the grated platforms above you are just as thin as the original, what is feeding the light bulb on the left-hand underside of the platform?

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »

If the grated platforms above you are just as thin as the original, what is feeding the light bulb on the left-hand underside of the platform?

Love

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

I considered the silly brushwork that would be necessary to make zero-thickness catwalks and what gamplay impact the detail provides and decided against it.  They will be simple one-unit guys.  Since glass is in the same boat I forego the bother of creating about five brushes for each surface to replicate a solid using tools and func_.

The retiring classic used models for the catwalks, and they only looked like they were zero-thickness, anyway.  Smoke and mirrors ahoy.

To power the lamps, the cats are electrified.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:21:20 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 02:58:24 am »

That totally makes sense.

Lamps in real life must also work that way because every time I turn on my desk lamp I hear: "zzzzzttt!...mraiw.."

Let's be honest, I've never heard a cat say "meow," mostly they're derivations of "mrair," but it could be just a New England cat thing, I don't know.

Or if your cat is like my autistic cat, he says: "meeyaw"

Do I need friends?

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:17 pm »

Great Job VC. keep up the good work i cant wait till fridget classic  ;D

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 06:26:53 am »

I know I am a little off on this topic when it comes to comments, but I really think the color should be made a lime green on the walls. To be honest, the other color kind of has a barf feeling to it :D   I just think it would look sharper if it was a darker green too.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:17 pm »

I considered the silly brushwork that would be necessary to make zero-thickness catwalks and what gamplay impact the detail provides and decided against it.  They will be simple one-unit guys.  Since glass is in the same boat I forego the bother of creating about five brushes for each surface to replicate a solid using tools and func_.

Wouldn't it look very similar to having a zero-thickness brush if you nodraw all of the sides of the already thin brush except the ones you want to see? (You'd only see the top and bottom.)

1-unit sides nodrawed, the illusion of zero-thickness

The same 1-unit brush with the sides textured
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 10:22:04 pm »

If you nodraw all sides except of the upside, you won't see it from below.
(i guess $nocull only works with props)
However there are a few circumstances where you use this technique, like when you make a glass window with func_breakable_surf or a water volume.

Another problem could be the players feet clipping into the floor.

Nodrawing only the sides of the brushes and keeping upside & downside textured might work at most of the walkways where you don't get close to them, but at the ramps it would look odd too when recognizing the 1 WE gap.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 10:49:26 pm »

If you nodraw all sides except of the upside, you won't see it from below.
(i guess $nocull only works with props)
However there are a few circumstances where you use this technique, like when you make a glass window with func_breakable_surf or a water volume.

If you create a brush textured entirely with nodraw, you still collide with it, nodraw doesn't have any effect on a player's normal collision with a brush. You can have the top and bottom textured with the grate texture, then just the 1-unit thick sides invisible (nodrawed), and it'll act the exact same as with the 1-unit sides having visible textures.

You've got a point about the ramps being noticeable, but it would probably need some experimenting if it would be considered for use.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 11:08:58 pm »

Visually 0-thickness with 1-unit collision thickness is easy to do, but it's ugly.

And I've had my share of ugly in Complex...
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up