GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:04:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Discussion on Game Types  (Read 34968 times)

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
Re: Serious Discussion on Game Types
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 09:41:30 pm »

I wouldn't say DM is noob friendly, it's the complete opposite. Whenever someone that knows plays a DM-based mode, they'll most likely win. LTK and specially Arsenal removes the needs to know the basic gameplay.

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »

Well, I said that because I entered at 4.2 and I was taught things in DeathMatch.

...However, maybe because of TF2 I already knew how to do some things here and there. I don't know. :/-
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »

Well, DM will teach you how the "base" game works, as it's pretty much meant to be played around DM-based modes.

A Moist towelette

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • A Moist towelette has no influence.
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:49 pm »

v5.0 takes no skill. That is why I like 4.2.4 or even 3.0 way better. You cannot appease everyone. Christ I miss the cold war.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:03 pm »

They should revert back to the same invulnerability after spawning element of the game which was included in the original n64 game and every ge:source version except the last one.  I've said this a few times so if anyone else agrees please speak up.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 07:10:08 pm »

Invulnerability isn't the problem...  :P

A Moist towelette

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • A Moist towelette has no influence.
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 10:30:00 pm »

Invulnerability isn't the problem...  :P

Actually it is.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
    • YouTube
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:52 pm »

Looking back at it now, the invulnerability made no sense on GE:S. The spawn invulnerability is still there, just not the one after each shot.

It's a singleplayer mechanic that carried over to MP due to a rushed development. There's no reason to keep it.

Spry

• I Feel So Funky
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Spry has no influence.
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:11 pm »

I'm interested in this, aside from the radar hiding the characters, how much invulnerability is there on spawn? I've died immediately many times by spawning on top of explosions, there isn't even a second to react to it. Am I the only one it's not working for, because I've heard a lot of people say it's there but I haven't really noticed it.

And is there any spawn logic for explosions, maybe in 5.1 if it isn't in already, so it picks a different spawn if it detects an explosion in the area? I tend to have the worst luck with that.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 12:06:26 am »

TDM remains my favorite gametype.

Always wanted to play TDM on original GoldenEye levels growing up with more players. This mod allowed me to live that dream.

But the dream dies when I log on and can rarely find a server that even has TDM in the rotation... it is what it is, I guess, but I would love it if that group of 40-50 players that is ALWAYS playing arsenal or turbo LTK would get tired of it now and then (like I do) and switch the server to TDM or other modes.

Of course, my second favorite gametype is CTF, which is even rarer nowadays... nothing beats being in Library, Aztec, or a similar big level with a 10 vs 10 CTF, especially when teams are actually working together with a few players "defending," a few players "attacking" - don't always see that coordination, but when it happens it's a beautiful thing and so much fun... FPS at its very best...

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
    • YouTube
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 07:27:13 am »

I'm interested in this, aside from the radar hiding the characters, how much invulnerability is there on spawn?

You're fully invulnerable for a few seconds after spawn and won't show on the radar if you don't shoot or pick up a high tier gun / armor.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 01:22:04 pm »

I agree with Spry.  I'm just an end user so maybe I was wrong about why the game feels different in this version but I too get blown up immediately over and over after spawning.  Maybe the invulnerability after spawning needs to be longer or perhaps the ridiculous number of players allowed on maps meant for up to 4 players needs to be tweaked. 

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
    • YouTube
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 02:08:05 pm »

By default, smaller maps will be ignored in the rotation when there's more than around 6-8 players on the sever, switching to bigger maps. This depends on the server and they could've disabled it.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 03:35:22 am »

The way spawn invulnerability behaves depends on the gamemode.  Gamemodes where it would only be frustrating like LTK have no spawn invulnerability, while gamemodes where team spawn camping is possible like CTF have 5 seconds of spawn invulnerability that will not be removed until the timer runs out.

Most DM style modes, including arsenal, use the spawn invulnerability that Graslu described earlier.  One minor quirk of this system, however, is that spawning with a high level weapon will instantly break your spawn invulnerability and thus make you vulnerable the instant you spawn.  This is desirable behavior, but because of this it's possible to spawn and instantly die to an explosion if the weaponset has a high level weapon in slot 1, or if the gamemode is Arsenal and you're on the lower levels.

Anyway, this is really only a huge issue if the standard map selection behavior is bypassed, but I'll work on ameliorating it for 5.1.  It's not as easy of a fix as it appears on the surface but should still be doable.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »

Glad to hear you are working on tweaking the map selection.  If people would stop playing arsenal and turbo LTK 24/7 then maybe the instant spawn kills wouldn't be such a drag.  I like these game modes but not all the time.  Variety is the spice of life hombres!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up