GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:31:11 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Map Release] [Deathmatch] Central  (Read 6130 times)

Criasus

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Criasus has no influence.
[Map Release] [Deathmatch] Central
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:05 pm »

A small deathmatch map located inside a building. Includes bot support and cubemaps.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/TW5lb (I'm having some trouble adding them here, unless Preview is just messing with me)

First release: https://www.mediafire.com/?gg54nhgqgow7k87

If they're any suggestions to fix or update this map, please add them below.

;)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Map Release] [Deathmatch] Central
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »

Not a bad map, but I do have some ideas on how you can improve it. First off, the boxes you have placed are physic props, and not static ones, so I can push and move them around. Not the biggest of issues, but I did get glitched between one and a wall, resulting in me being thrown against the wall and dying.

I also feel like the textures could be changed away from the Half-Life 2 ones to something that was higher in resolution. The biggest texture issue I have is with the glass railings, as it was hard to even notice them right away. Changing them to a standard handrail would help with that.

Also, with the map being very monotone in its texture use, I wound up getting turned around on what side was what. Maybe make one side visually distinct from the other so you can gauge where you are at a quick glance. The only other suggestion would be to add some more lights around the map, as the center area is dimly lit.

It seems like a neat map for a 1-1 or 2-2 type match, keep up the good work!

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »

There are a few GoldenEye: Source barrel models available that could replace the brush-based barrels that are currently present, along with the crates as well. The Half-Life 2 assets are really showing their age nowadays, but a bit more colour and variety will go a long way.

Also make sure to include all the weapon spawns, it appears that the map is missing weapon spawns 2,3,5 and 7 (in Hammer they are actually 1 number behind the in-game assigned numbers, so you need 1,2,4 and 6 within Hammer). This will be problematic for a lot of the weapon sets if you're missing half of the available weapons.

The map definitely has some promise, good stuff! Have you done any mapping previously for other games?
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

Criasus

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Criasus has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:21:44 am »

Before I start replying, I would very much thank kraid for helping me out with the map issues (Great remake you've made! Hopefully it can be published at this thread  ;D), and pointing me out some errors and mistakes that I've made. Since I don't have much experience with some advanced Hammer features, the map is quite unpolished, after what I saw from him.

The map definitely has some promise, good stuff! Have you done any mapping previously for other games?

I'm more of a coder guy, but I already did some mapping in TF2C and HL2:DM.

There are a few GoldenEye: Source barrel models available that could replace the brush-based barrels that are currently present, along with the crates as well. The Half-Life 2 assets are really showing their age nowadays, but a bit more colour and variety will go a long way.

Also make sure to include all the weapon spawns, it appears that the map is missing weapon spawns 2,3,5 and 7 (in Hammer they are actually 1 number behind the in-game assigned numbers, so you need 1,2,4 and 6 within Hammer). This will be problematic for a lot of the weapon sets if you're missing half of the available weapons.

I didn't know about the barrel and crates models! I did a quick search on Hammer before, but I didn't find anything (maybe I just searched on the wrong directory). Are missing weapon spawns a very big flaw? I've tested before with all of them, but for some reason, 0 & 1 were the same weapons (the same goes with 2 & 3, 4 & 5, and 6 & 7), but that could be just because of a smaller weapon set.

Not a bad map, but I do have some ideas on how you can improve it. First off, the boxes you have placed are physic props, and not static ones, so I can push and move them around. Not the biggest of issues, but I did get glitched between one and a wall, resulting in me being thrown against the wall and dying.

I also feel like the textures could be changed away from the Half-Life 2 ones to something that was higher in resolution. The biggest texture issue I have is with the glass railings, as it was hard to even notice them right away. Changing them to a standard handrail would help with that.

Also, with the map being very monotone in its texture use, I wound up getting turned around on what side was what. Maybe make one side visually distinct from the other so you can gauge where you are at a quick glance. The only other suggestion would be to add some more lights around the map, as the center area is dimly lit.

It seems like a neat map for a 1-1 or 2-2 type match, keep up the good work!

I've added the physics props as a novelty, since I rarely see them being used in a map (and that could be because of the glitches that you've related). I didn't have any other textures to use, so those HL2 ones kept as a temporary solution.

I also tested this map in TF2C (scaled up a little bit, since the players are quite bigger), and it seems like that 2-8 players is the ideal for it (since the weapons for that game are completely different, it was a huge carnage).

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:34:05 am »

I didn't have any other textures to use, so those HL2 ones kept as a temporary solution.

You could have used any of the textures already in the mod. I'm sure you can find a nice looking wall texture from Facility or Archives.

Are missing weapon spawns a very big flaw? I've tested before with all of them, but for some reason, 0 & 1 were the same weapons (the same goes with 2 & 3, 4 & 5, and 6 & 7), but that could be just because of a smaller weapon set.

You likely had a set with a low variety, Pistols Classic for example only has 3 different guns. With some weapon sets, you could likely get away with half of the spawns, but others use all 8 slots, so you would be missing out on some potentially fan-favorite weapons. I would add all 8 weapons just for consistency sake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up