GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 08:16:29 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First blog (March 4, 2008) - about me, music etc  (Read 15041 times)

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
First blog (March 4, 2008) - about me, music etc
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:38:57 am »

edited "About Me" as of February 26, 2009

---------------------------------------
ABOUT ME

Hey guys, some of you may know me by my music artist name of Audix. I did a number of tracks for the Goldeneye: Source soundtrack, which you can preview , and download here.

I have a dance/electronic album released, "One Day Millennium," with Protagonist Records. My biggest projects to date have been producing the Valparaiso University men's basketball team (NCAA Division I) starting lineups track, which you can watch/listen to , and producing the men's and women's starting lineups music at the University of Virginia.

I'm fairly involved in creating remixes of game, film, and artist tracks, which can be downloaded at my homepage.

All that aside, on to my thoughts on creating "Rocking the Cradle."
---------------------------------------
THOUGHTS ON "ROCKING THE CRADLE"

With that said, I'll elaborate a bit on my recently posted Cradle mix. I'll comment more on the arrangment of the mix to cater to the readers at this forum, but for those who would be interested, feel free to ask questions related to the production side of things.

I loved Graeme Norgate's original buildup to the beat and the syncopation between the timing of the piano and snare, so I tried to retain as much of that as I could in my mix. I didn't want to transition to the main section (at :48) right away, so I incorporated a slower section at :25 that served as the perfect backdrop for a big build into :48.

At :48, I resisted the urge to go all electro, sticking with the french horns and strings to stay with the classic soundtrack's feel a bit more. 1:33 serves as a good "resting point" for the listener, with the fiiltered beat dropping out to maximize the next sections' impact at 1:44. At 1:56 I initially had a more modern electric guitar playing the familiar Bond hook, but dropped that in favor of a more classic-sounding Bond guitar.

At 2:18, I didn't want the listener to think that the song was just looping, so I slid in a minimal synth to change it from the first time through. 2:44 introduces an entirely new synth idea, as well as using an unfiltered version of the background synth to make it sound more full than the first time. 3:06 introduces synths in place of the initial french horn, as well as a background synth line I came up with that I think really adds a lot to the feel of the track. 3:30 introduces strings and the french horns again at a lower volume to fill up the soundscape even more.

The marcato strings at 3:51 are a new addition to set the second half of the track even further apart from the first, until the "chorus" returns again at 4:14 to bring us back to familiar territory. The track hits at 4:37 and fades out to loop again.

All said and done, this track probably took around 15-20 hours from start to finish. The majority of the time is spent doing sound design and mixing/mastering as opposed to actually arranging the music.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:42:24 am by Audix »

nowhere

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nowhere has no influence.
    • Janus Syndicate
Re: First post (March 4, 2008) - about me and etc
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:41:29 am »

I think personally this is the most interesting blog post I've read so far. I look forward to more of your posts about breakdowns of the tracks.

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
Re: First post (March 4, 2008) - about me and etc
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:44:57 am »

Thanks, I plan on doing this for everything new of mine that gets posted. Good to know it's enjoyed. :)

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
Re: First blog (March 4, 2008) - about me, music etc
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:36 pm »

Cool. What programs are you using to do all your mixing/creatrion, etc..? I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit so that Orion Platinum runs smooth for me when I have lots of instruments going. I really love music and sound as well....your mixes rock.

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:35:47 pm »

FL Studio for mixing, then export into Sound Forge for the final master. All my synth work originates from mostly the Image-Line line of synths: Morphine, Sytrus, Toxic, Poizone, etc. My orchestral sounds are all EWQL, and drumwork is a mixed bag of loops that I created layered with beats I've found/bought, or whatever else I think works.  :)

I've actually never heard of Orion Platinum, but I can relate with your problem of needing to upgrade your PC. I just bought mine a year and a half ago and I'm already feeling the need to expand.

DaDude

• Secret Agent
  • DaDude has no influence.
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:48:50 am »

Wow, I hope you continue your "blog posts", as they are very interesting for me, and I'm sure for others too. :D

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:37 am »

Wow, I never knew it took so much to piece together a single track.

Great job! :)

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:47 pm »

You should definitely check out Orion if you have a chance. Korg legacy edition is also pretty damn sweet. If you have an extra 250 bucks, get yourself a micro korg synth (keyboard synth)....badass little piece of equipment. Looking forward to hearing future work...

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:08 am »

You should definitely check out Orion if you have a chance. Korg legacy edition is also pretty damn sweet. If you have an extra 250 bucks, get yourself a micro korg synth (keyboard synth)....badass little piece of equipment. Looking forward to hearing future work...
Heh, thanks but I'm pretty set over here. :) I'll be posting a blog for my runway track once the next update gets posted with it.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:58:22 am »

I always hate necro posting and all, but as a music fan, I feel I have to. I absolutely love this song. It has held my every expectation of the original song, and exceeds every one of them.

Audix, everytime I hear any of your songs, I have to say in game that they are amazing.

Keep up the great work!
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:24 am »

Oops, missed this. Cheers Ruone, much more to come. :)

Godwhacker

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:33 am »

First of all I loved it!!!

And Second of All would you like a Clarinet version to edit?

I'd Record it in a little while

Third of all: You Only Live Twice, SO HAVE A NICE DAY!!

- Godwhacker
Pages: [1]   Go Up