GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:42:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Gametype) Thunderball  (Read 12912 times)

Rukifellth

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Rukifellth has no influence.
(Gametype) Thunderball
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:47 am »

The title bothered me for some time, but I think I've figured out a gametype fitting the title.

It plays out like a usual Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch, but with a shorter game time. When time runs out all players are informed that:

"All player scores has been accounted for. The player with the lowest score is..."

Followed by the player with the lowest points getting killed by electrocution or an explosion (your choise).
That player is now "eliminated" and the next round begins without that player.

This continues until only one player is left and appointed "Nr.1"

Generally I based the idea on the famous Spectre meeting at the start of the movie, where the member who had failed Spectre was executed on the spot.

In keeping with the fear and paranoia, players cannot see their scores in this gametype, thus, the elimination process will put all players on edge, just like the meeting in the film.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: (Gametype) Thunderball
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:05 am »

I like the idea.

Wouldn't work great for public servers where the players don't know how it works, but for say a tournament or sponsored game day, this mode would be fun.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:44:17 pm »

A gamemode that makes players wait in spectrator for a long time is a bad idea.
Watchers get bored, leave and join another server.

So the goal should be to minimize these spectrator times, not to enlarge them a lot.

Just imagine how long it will take for 16 players to play a round of that gamemode even if you have just 1 minute gametime.
(beeing last one in the first round would mean that you have to wait 14 minutes)

Also, what happens if several players have the same kills/deaths?

Rukifellth

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Rukifellth has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:00:55 am »

That's why It would have to be short rounds in between and not too mnay players to begin with.

Alternatively, what if the worst player is out the next round, but comes back for the round after that? The system could be altered so that (Idunno) the top three get a point after a round while the rest get no point, and the last lose a point and is out for the next round.

That way it still becomes a penalty and detrimental for your own victory.

A third option, what if the lost player returns the next round as russian soldier with no other goal than to sabotage for other players. He/she can't win however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up