GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 02:41:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: func_tracktrain  (Read 7114 times)

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
func_tracktrain
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »

Hello!

I'm working on a ge:s map and I need help for a little tracktrain issue.
I put path_track around my map and connected them to each other so the tracktrain turn around it continuously.
The problem is, not every path_track is put on a same height, so when it moves, the moving plateform tend to change position vertically.
It adopts the angle of it's next destination, in other words.
It's not a big problem, of course, but still. :P
I already looked at the wiki help but without finding what I needed : http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_tracktrain
And since it has to turn, I can't use the Fixed orientation option.
If someone can help me and/or if you need more details (pictures or class info), go ahead! =D

Oh, and by the way, if you have any advice on how to make my plateform move more smoothly when it has to turn (sudden 45° angle)...

Thank you for your attention.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: func_tracktrain
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:14 pm »

Use the No Pitch flag.

For smoother turning add more path_track entities.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:12:58 am »

Yeah well, I don't know why I got confused since I used it once but probably didn't noticed it while being absorbed by an other problem   :-\
That was easy, thank you.

As for adding more path_track, I already tried that but I get more or less the same result.
Maybe I should try 20 or something? =D
I think the result I got are quite okay, though.
So, if there is not any magical trick I'll just stick with what I have now.

For func_tracktrain, should I pick linear blend or ease in/ease out.
I really don't see any difference...

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »

Hello.

I wanted to ask if someone could help me or send me to a good tutorial on how to create a good... rock.
Well, I've watched many videos and read other stuff about that but it's not helping me with this issue.
It's the second time I try to make something but then, after I reload my map I got this: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5755/capture001g.jpg
Hehehehe.
I used the vertex tool to shape the blocks, then I applied displacement to use the blend texture and the noise thing.
I also had errors (telling me it's a vertex issue) when I checked for map problems, and also (same issue) about blocks I shaped with vertex for a cliff (without any changes).
So, what do I do wrong?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:58:23 pm »

There's no need to shape the brushes much before turning them into displacements. They always have to have 4 sides, so if you made any triangle faces and tried to displace them that would screw up.

I recommend you start again, make two brushes, one on top of the other so that their sides meet up, then select the sides and the top of the top one and make them into displacements. When you manipulate them select them all so that you don't cause gaps, as long as the brushes met up before you made them into displacements you can use 'sew' to fix holes. Don't use the noise tool, it's lame, you should learn to manipulate the displacements using the height tool along each axis: X, Y and Z. Have a play around with it until you have something you like.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:29:48 pm »

Thanks for the fast answer <=o)
You can't see it in the image I posted above because it's not what I had planned, but I try to make a little slope (right word?) so that the player can reach the top of it.
And... hu... let's say the whole thing should look more or less like a pyramid:
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/8020/capture002q.jpg
When you manipulate them select them all so that you don't cause gaps
Yes, I also had a problem with that. When I use displacement and if all sides are selected, then the side behind the one I'am working on is also moving. =/ Not a problem anymore =o)
So, no vertex at all?
And how can I make the corners look smooth?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:55:59 pm by Falko »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »

These kind of things happen if you vertex manipulate brushes the wrong way (e.g. only move one vertex point) so they get invalid faces.
Every 4 sided face has to remain planar, and you'll need 4 sided faces to turn them into displacement.
Even without the displacement the editor would move the vertex of this brush till the face is flat gain.
Disps only make this more recognizable since a 1 unit offset is able to result in a much bigger hole.

When vertex manipulating for disp., make sure the face remains flat.
For non displacement stuff you can slice the brush into triangles if it's really neccessary to have it in this shape (e.g. a curved ramp).

As for working with displacements i found that subdivision is a very neat thing.
Basically you build your enviroment from brushes of a certain size (e.g. 1024x1024x1024), turn the visible faces into displacement and use subdivide to get it nice round and smooth. (also prepear to get a cup of coffe once you clicked the subdivide button, it might take a while till the editor is done)

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

Ok ok, thanks for the tips!
Btw, why should I make the brushes of a certain size?

So, am I in the right direction with these? (hehe, I'm asking you that like a kid  :D ):
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7122/capture003.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7674/capture004.jpg
And what if I resize the whole thing?
Well, the textures are already working weird with each other, I guess that would be wrong...

Haaa, this is a nightmare^^
My whole map is hill shaped, and is made of cliffs and rocks and mountains.
I guess I need a lot of practice.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:13 pm »

Yea practice makes perfect. Your on the right track. There isn't much technically speaking "wrong" with the second rock pic you posted. Its just preference from there; experience too, being able to convert what you see in your mind as a rock, onto the computer. 

You want to keep brushes on powers of two. 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,...,... . We do this for a few reasons
A) The engine VVIS process cuts the map up every 512 units.
B) Textures are designed and aligned for these units.
C) When you displace an entire map, it is easy to "sew" different brushes together when they are on these powers. You can have one brush at 512 units, and the other at 1024 units and "sew" together (assuming the vertex points align on one face).
D) In the most general concept, the game has been designed to work best with these 2^2 units

If you want to add a clear displaced path for a player to walk on, learn to use the "vertex manipulation (VM)" tool. Basically create the brush, displace the 2-5 sides (including the top) and keep the displaced brush a box at the moment. From here, Go to the VM tool and depending on how you built the map, look though the Y or Z axis and drag the top two vertices, vertically/foward and back, until you can align it with the cliff face next to it.

Sorry I could not get into extreme detail, I am Chocolaty wasted. (well, Post-Chocolaty wasted)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:49:23 pm by Jeron [SharpSh00tah] »

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

Ha, don't worry, I like to learn things by myself.
I guess vertex manipulation is not necessarily useful to me right now, I'll try more later.
I wonder if mappers use it at all =o)
Anyway, what I've done so far look already better.
I felt so stuck before.

Thank you all for the help!

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:16:38 pm »

Mapping without vertex manipulation is like eating steak without peppercorn sauce...

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:36:56 pm »

^ +1

The tool is there for a reason. Go try to make a convex roof without it (and atleast have it look good)

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Falko

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »

I'll try to make no convex roof then :-*
 ;) I might actually don't need that tool at all.
But I do like peppercorn sauce with my steaks.
We'll see, I guess. Well, I.
Pages: [1]   Go Up