GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 07:49:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Release date of GE:s Beta 3  (Read 26209 times)

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
Re: Release date of GE:s Beta 3
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 10:28:24 pm »

TBH i think i can speak for the whole team on this, for us its not about the fans haha. fans are a bonus for the project, but we just really want to play an updated version of golden eye. its the teams passion to play this dream game that keeps us going.
we could care less if 1000 people or 300,000 people play the game, we just want to make the best game possible. which i guess is part of our corporate culture, and why we kinda suck about PR hahah.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 10:34:11 pm »

TBH i think i can speak for the whole team on this
I hope you don't. Really.

monkeyface

• Agent
  • monkeyface has no influence.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 11:06:29 pm »

The goal of continuous updates and PR is to make people see the mod. That would increase the number of people playing it, thus you'd get more response on your work and you'd have a better idea on of how you should go on about it. A larger amount of players would also mean more variation for the people that are playing it. Also, a successful mod (one that a lot of people play and know about) would be a great merit if you'd choose to continue to work in the games industry.

I don't criticize you, I'm not particularly good at working with deadlines myself, but the concept of continuous updates is not a stupid one, it's more likely to be a healthy choice for a mod that's coming up. As a dropped out trial member I'm perhaps not the one to talk, but I do wish the best for the mod, and right now I don't see you making the right choices when it comes to PR.

I'd even volounteer if there was such a position. Even if it would only be a weekly update made up from forum tidbits, I'd do it.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 11:18:37 pm »

I take the point of view that improvements can be made, but certainly not by the core developers because they comprise of people that make the mod only and have spider's attitude towards overdoing PR.

There is meant to be a PR helper dev and one was brought on from the 2005-06 tester group, but that isnt the case atm. that is what needs to change ; rather than the insistence that the whole mod team needs to radically change their approach. Let them focus on the assets and im betting the other thing we call PR may be improving soon.

the concept of continuous updates is not a stupid one, it's more likely to be a healthy choice for a mod that's coming up.

A 3 year running mod? up and coming? not really. This mod is really special, because its ever so popular an idea, but ever so backseat of a passion for most modern gamers once they play it. I think the true potential hasnt been reached because a certain tweaking and perfectionism cant be reached until all the elements are made, and that isnt the case in any public release so far. Time and patience my pets, I've got it have you?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:23:38 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 11:47:26 pm »

I vote for him ^ ^ ^

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

monkeyface

• Agent
  • monkeyface has no influence.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »

Quote from: Wake[of]theBunT on Yesterday at 18:18:37
A 3 year running mod? up and coming? not really. This mod is really special, because its ever so popular an idea, but ever so backseat of a passion for most modern gamers once they play it. I think the true potential hasnt been reached because a certain tweaking and perfectionism cant be reached until all the elements are made, and that isnt the case in any public release so far. Time and patience my pets, I've got it have you?

The game hasn't gone gold, and I personally think it hasn't proven or distinguished itself yet. And the team (as the GE:S team) hasn't made anything earlier to rely on. At the moment it's HL2 DM with some new maps and skins. I can certainly see the potential in this project, and I know all of the forum goers can. I believe you when you say that the mod will reach new heights with the next release, but the general public doesn't know what to expect, other than it's a remake of that good ol' classic N64 game and that the mod was announced three years ago. Personally, I still think you're the underdogs, and that the mod still has to prove itself, but maybe that's only me romanticizing. If you don't think so, don't pay attention to what I said about the mod "coming up", it really doesn't matter. What I wanted to talk about was PR. Even if the name by itself and "word of mouth" get people to play it, you could still use better PR.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:30:54 am by killermonkey »

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:45 am »

Ya we could release a bunch of pointless pictures of props like every other mod. Our media releases are when we feel that we have enough clean finished work to present that is big not small like a random model here and there. Sharp took over the PR position from xanatos as well.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 01:23:21 am »

Here's a prop I made for Temple if it makes you feel better <3
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 02:40:43 am »

here's a new view model hand

OMGZXZZ leaks

we do need really solid PR, i agree, if someone wants to jump up to that position and proves themselves to be responsible to help out Sharp with organization and writing we are more than willing to listen to a pitch. Xantos left some big shoes to fill hehe. nothing is stopping anyone in our community from going out there and drumming up support for us. (its a great way to get into the team if you get some real noise made haha)

i totally get everyone concern with wanting the mod to be big, we want it to be big too, its just that keeping PR up and keeping the mod on track is really hard, when we do a PR release the whole team has to organize around that, and take our eyes off of production for a bit. and when we are on our way to getting this thing out the door, that's not something i want everyone to be doing really often.

Dr.No its better that GES is full of people who are passionate and crazy about making the game, rather than being full of a bunch of dudes who love to hear the roar of a crowd every time we release a picture of a prop. i know that PR is important, and can help everyone on the team and the community at large, but right now its not at the foreground for the team. when the game is done we will try to media blitz as best we can, and hopefully we have a great game that people love to talk about and word spreads about how fun it is. because our past 2 releases we had quite a big buzz around them, but the game was sort of a flop on gameplay, i would rather have a bad ass game and a small number of people playing at first that will grow, rather than a big number in the beginning that turns into hardly anyone playing 1 month later.
Fonfa
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 03:23:40 am »

Here's a prop I made for Temple if it makes you feel better <3

Strangly... I do feal better  ;D !

Hey guys I have an idea. Why just not wait for the release? God damnit, we are able to wait!!! Stop crying and let the developpers work, that's all. And when the beta 3 will come out, we are all gonna be happy.
That's it. Nothing more to say.
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 04:13:19 am »

I think we need to just start slowly fixing this. I think the first thing would be redesigning the homepage, so it can except the frequent updates, and would be very easy to update.

Next step would be a dedicated PR guy that sift threw all the content and make it seem very exciting and keep it up on a regular basis(maybe one every 2 weeks, or maybe just a big one every month) and give him maybe a little blog and he could just post screenshots of playtests or general feeling for the mod, or his reaction to a test and show the public that its moving the right way(being tested, a lot).

last maybe as suggested a progress counter that would show the progress for the release. A lot like Mario Cart Source
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:33 am »

Ever since I first started playing GE: Source, I've had several people ask if this TC is dead.
I always say "Nope. Not at all. BETA 3, bitches!"

Then I just type "GoldenEye Source.com. Check the forums."

^^
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:15 am »

At the moment it's HL2 DM with some new maps and skins.

I don't think you have played HL2DM recently then because this mod is nothing like that. I have written over 10,000 lines of code for this mod and probably have another 10,000 to go before the release (no that does not mean its 50% done more like 65-70%). We have implemented a lot of brand new features in Beta 3 already and expect more to come soon. With the demand for interactive and meaningful video games these days it is extremely difficult to deliver the results. You have to realize that we cannot make a game from complete scratch that is impossible let alone never going to be released lol.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:44 am »

BTW that's 65% on the code side, and implemented features.

our content is further along that that, a lot of the levels are at or near final stages (but they are always doing tweaks and tune ups)
and all the guns are done (some are getting face lifts like characters)

and that's 65% is what monkey has done in the past few months since he got back from being out to sea, so stuffs moving really fast, some people will do the math and get their own estimates from that hehe.

also the game could go public before we hit the full 100% code side (Content side i want it at or very close to 100%) it just depends on what the game is like as it gets close to the end.
Fonfa

SLX - bring condoms

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
  • FlyBMXer4130 has no influence.
    • My Face
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:33 am »

...we also have lives outside of this mod.

Losers!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up