GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:44:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating First Dedicated Server in Chile - Some Questions  (Read 11162 times)

dieglhix

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • dieglhix has no influence.
Creating First Dedicated Server in Chile - Some Questions
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:49:45 pm »

Hi there, I absolutely love this game.

I am creating a 16-player server and would like to mod it but I am yet to find some things on here:

- Quake sounds (Headshot, Dominating, Hattrick) etc. Where can I find the script and files?

- GeoID? (When someone connects and shows city and country) Is it integrated in gesource server or it is a script?

- Game Mode votation and Map votation, is it a script or embedded in the gesource server?

- Any public HTTP server for GE fast download of media and maps?

Only that for the moment. Any server admin can give another suggestion for a new GE:S server starter? I used to create custom CS 1.5 servers with weird mods (like adding HL monster in-game so I have some experience.. but that was like 15 years ago and I was like 13...)

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
Re: Creating First Dedicated Server in Chile - Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:52:59 pm »

-Please please please don't add Quake Sounds. They add a lot of files for players to download the first time they login to your server and it'll be really slow and annoying if you don't have the FastDL server, and even if you do, it'll be annoying as it's something players didn't ask for.

-As for the city and country that's usually a stats plugin, but I'm sure there's a standalone somewhere.

-You can get the map vote plugin here - http://team.gesHL2.com/serverplugins/GESMapChooserV5.zip

-There's no free public FastDL server and you'll have to rent your own.

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:36 pm »

-Please please please don't add Quake Sounds.

I'm going to second what Graslu said. I (and a lot of other people) play this mod because it's GoldenEye, and we like GoldenEye. Those sounds take me out of GoldenEye (and into a game I never even played and couldn't care less about), and I can't stand when they're thrown into a server config.

The servers that have them infuriate me until I figure out a way to turn them off. I get it, some people like them. But a lot of people don't. Especially me. And other people I know who are regulars.

The sounds in the mod are just fine the way they are. I don't care what you do client-side... but setting up the server to use modded sounds just makes it less enjoyable for a lot of us. There's nothing fun about hearing a voice yelling HEADSHOT and DOMINATING every 4 seconds.

Same goes for unnecessarily modded weapon skins...

dieglhix

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:43:07 pm »

Fair enough, but what about using the Quake script but WITHOUT sounds? So people realise when someone got slapped and having the message displayed. Too tacky, still?

I've found the MapChooser, thanks for the link.

- The Game Mode vote is a different script?

- The Stats plugin works globally or only serverwide? Possible to run it without a web site? Does have to run on a local server DB or can it be used on a public global DB?

- Possible to use Stats and people to say /stats or /rank in game for querying? As I have never seen this feature in GE:S

I know you guys are in the Discord but I guess this forum is better so others can find answers in the future.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:49:53 pm by dieglhix »

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »

Any sort of voting is a separate plugin.

The Quake sounds plugin lets you set the default setting for new players. If you must have them, please default to off.

Connect Announce can be used for displaying players' approximate location: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=77306

For stats, I think you don't need a website for HLX:CE but you do need a server for the database and the listener that logs all the events to the database. I'm sure there's other plugins that don't need any other servers (I may have seen a few servers with this over the years). As you probably guessed from this response, there are no global stats and stats are collected only by the individual communities.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:42:51 am »

they're ut sounds though not quake ;)

dieglhix

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:30:01 am »

they're ut sounds though not quake ;)

Actually I used to think they were UT sounds, but heard somewhere they were Quake sounds so I thought that. (Though I never heard them on Quake).

@soupcan - Thanks!

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 07:16:31 am »

As for the Quake/UT sounds, this is always the first thing i deactivate when a server is using them.
They are annoyn and kill the mood.

I don't get why ppl didn't even try to change these sounds to something more suitable for a Bond game.

Would be still annoyn to hear the same sounds over and over again, but might at least be a little fun to hear boris yell: "i'm invincible" instead of let's say Ultrakill.

dieglhix

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »

As for the Quake/UT sounds, this is always the first thing i deactivate when a server is using them.
They are annoyn and kill the mood.

I don't get why ppl didn't even try to change these sounds to something more suitable for a Bond game.

Would be still annoyn to hear the same sounds over and over again, but might at least be a little fun to hear boris yell: "i'm invincible" instead of let's say Ultrakill.

Nice idea, a UT sound plugin with Goldeneye movie and N64 game sounds.

dieglhix

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 05:03:05 am »

Still not able to get votemap to work... also never found the GeoID plugin :(

Do I have to install metamod for the latter?
Pages: [1]   Go Up