GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 09:44:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiki updates and advertisement  (Read 4142 times)

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Wiki updates and advertisement
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »

So those annoying ad bots aren't only spamming forums but also the wiki.
If you have a look at the recent changes you'll see many spam entries created.

I just noticed it, because I was on the wiki yesterday adding another in-depth achievement page (004), because I think many of them deserve additional information such as strategy, restrictions and trivia concerning the achievement name.Today, I wanted to see if anybody else had made any updates and was shocked to see all these crap articles listed.

So here's my call to the community: let's clean this mess up and improve the information available while we're at it! (And of course have those accounts removed that spammed it full of shit; I saw Luchador was already struggling deleting shit)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: Wiki updates and advertisement
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »

I just need to know how to flush pages and I'm on it. (This might sound stupid, But apart from the "Install GE:S" page, I have never played around with editing/creating/deleting Wiki pages on any wiki ever.)

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

Couldn't find an exact delete command myself, so this leaves me with the conclusion that every normally registered account (= not the devs) can't delete anything (for some... I guess rather obvious reasons when I think of what those bots could have done instead).

Anyway, second part still stands: try improve pages and add some.
If you don't know about formatting just look at a good other wiki site that has some formatting you want to use and click edit, locate it in the text. To add a wiki page just use the search function with the exact title of the page you want to add and if it's not already in existence you'll be given the option to create it.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:34:16 pm »

Ok, I'm going to add a few things to this.

The bot pages have been removed thanks to Luchador and myself. I am also looking into using re-captcha as a anti spam measure on the wiki.

I also don't think that specific achievements should recieve their own pages. If the achievement is un-clear, then maybe suggest that we re-word it for the next release.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in becoming a moderator on the wiki, contact me and I can see towards making super user accounts for you (as opposed to mod accounts).

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »

Make sure nobody can create user or talk pages, as I noticed that was primarily how the bots were creating spam pages and then renaming them into articles, some loophole.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:03:28 am »

With a captcha, they could have to still have to answer one for any edit/move/creation, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up