GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 10:33:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using maps from other Source games  (Read 5624 times)

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nymph is looked down upon.
Using maps from other Source games
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:50:19 am »

Hl2dm maps are not designed for ges. All the spawns (player, weapons, ammo, armour) need to be redone. However, this doesnt mean recompiling the map as you can get entity editors and remove all the old and place new ones in.

Heh, our wepaon spawning system is unique to our game, of course maps from other games aren't going to work.  If someone wants a map from another game to work, they'll need to fix their map to match our spawning system.  You change the map to match the game, not change the game to match millions of possible maps from other games.

What is this 'entity editor'?
It couldn't be VHE, as I would need to recompile/convert it to edit it.
Is there anyone who could please at least mentioned the name of this 'entity editor'?

All I want to do, is remove all the entities in CS:S maps and add GE:S entities to them.
If there is no tutorial for this, could someone please explain to me how to do this?
I would be forever grateful :)

PS!
I'm not asking for your opinions, and if you don't have anything to contribute: don't post!

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:51:04 pm by Nymph »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Using maps from other Source games
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »

Urgh, that's the last thing I want to see, CS:S maps in GE:S.

Really I mean this sincerely, don't waste your time even thinking about it. Firstly you'll piss off the majority of the community, who like any sane person, doesn't want to see Goldeneye: Source tarnished with a bunch of quite frankly shit maps. I will literally top myself if I ever see a ge_dust2 LTK 24/7 server.

CS:S is in no way the pinnacle of game design, it's completely overrated for what was once a simple multiplayer mod that just happened to be the first in its genre.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »

Couldnt disagree any more. CSS is a masterpiece, dont blame the game for what the community made of it. As much as i dont want to see de_dust2 on GES. If you are going to say its a badly designed map you really should think again....

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:37 pm »

@ Mangely
I think the CS:S maps would be perfect for gameplays as Team Deathmatch, Capture the Key and such.
And if you're that against CS:S maps, don't play on that server, simple as that.
And as you talk for the whole community, you shouldn't be afraid for some CS:S maps.

Also, like Kinkey says, the CS:S maps are from no way badly designed.
You have to seriously be blind as a bat to think that GE:S maps are well designed over CS:S maps.

@ Kinkey
Indeed.
I was thinking of maps as de_piranesi, de_tides, de_chateau and cs_havana.
Maybe the standards too, but I think these maps mentioned above would fit perfectly to Team Deathmatch and Capture the Key.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:28:24 pm by Nymph »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:25:13 pm »

I didn't say CS:S is badly designed, but I see it as a very, very negative thing to be associating with GE:S.. The way I see it, a mod is there to give you a new experience, and people may not enjoy playing the same CS:S maps that they've played for hundreds of hours before when they're really looking for a refreshing experience.

By the same sheer principal I would never want to see Team Fortress maps or Day of Defeat maps in GE:S. Not to mention I don't agree at all with ripping maps to other games.

At the end of the day they are two separate games that play very differently from eachother. Sure, GE:S has TDM but CS:S maps aren't tailored to GE:S gameplay at all, not to mention all the variety of game modes that we have.

Sure they may run on the same game engine and have a lot of the same players but that's really all they should have in common. I don't think I speak for absolutely everyone, but I'm certain I speak for everyone who doesn't like CS.

You guys are just cs fanboys nanana :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:29:25 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »

I do not think maps from CS:S wouldn't fit to the GE:S gameplays.
I think the maps that I've mentioned would fit perfect for GE:S, and that if there's alot of CS players here, most of them would like maps from their favourite game to their favourite mod.
I love seeing maps from other games made to CS:S.

Anyways, this discussion can be talked about in PM or a new thread.
As I was asking for how to do this, not discussing wether you like it or not :P

Best regards,
Nymph.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:55 pm »

You can't shouldn't play CSS maps in GES because:

- The spawnpoints aren't properly placed for GES gameplay (they're grouped together on opposite sides of the map instead of scattered about evenly.)
- There aren't entities in the right locations to work as weapon/ammo spawners or other gameplay-related entities
- The assets (textures, models, etc) that are in CSS maps are copyrighted Valve material, and can't be redistributed with the map legally. Also, even if you did pack all that stuff into the .bsp file, it would make the file so big it would take anyone downloading it from the server an hour or more to connect.
- Running it simply ruins the GoldenEye feel of the mod, especially if CSS assets are blatantly used. Maps like ge_rocket are great, they keep the fun multiplayer feel of the original game and use GES assets while also being new layouts.

Please do us all a favor and don't port them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:39:52 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:18 pm »

SSL, that's your opinion and there's plenty other servers with the standard GE:S maps.
And I could just remove the entities from CS:S and place the entities from GE:S.
Even though it's copyrighted, that's my concern and not yours.

If anyone is gonna talk more about what they think about CS:S maps in GE:S, make another thread and do it there.
I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked how to do this.
If you don't have anything to contribute, then don't post.

Best regards,
Nymph.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:56:30 pm by Nymph »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »

Couldnt disagree any more. CSS is a masterpiece, dont blame the game for what the community made of it. As much as i dont want to see de_dust2 on GES. If you are going to say its a badly designed map you really should think again....

The de_dust maps are really good layout wise. I personally hate the maps though. But again, the layouts are nice.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »

Boy you are one ignorant cocky fuck. Who do you think you are? 15 posts on the forum and you speak like you're king shit.

I know SSL is just one of our developers, but you shouldn't cast aside his opinion like it was nothing. All of his points were valid reasons why you shouldn't continue with your idea. If the developers do not want to tell you how to take Valve property and put it into their mod, then they just won't tell you.

My only suggestion to you is to remake the map you want using GoldenEye materials to reduce the file load and to avoid any legal issues.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:54:54 pm »

Amen to that.

LOCKED.

Any more discussion about porting content, stealing content, or otherwise doing something STUPID with our content or others will result in a 1 week ban INSTANTLY.

I will NOT issue a warning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up