GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 11:14:54 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP: Game's freezing after map change  (Read 6026 times)

_Violence_

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • _Violence_ has no influence.
HELP: Game's freezing after map change
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:46 am »

Hey all!
I'm looking for some assistance with a problem I've been encountering as of lately.
Just installed GE:S the other day. Play for an hour or two and everything worked flawlessly. Closed out of the game and Steam, later that night I started to play some more. Played through a whole match and then the map changes and then it freezes at the screen in which you choose "Join Game" or you pick your team and it loops some noise (or part of a noise) which I'm unable to distinguish what it is. I tried simply just exiting out of steam and restarting but it still freezes after a map change. It doesn't freeze when I just join a server for the first time however.

Can anyone help with this? I haven't changed any of my game settings at all since installing GE:S.
If you need more info just ask.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:19:03 am by _Violence_ »

_Violence_

• Agent
Re: HELP: Game's freezing after map change
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:07:12 pm »

Well, unfortunately, since no one has responded in the past day, I went ahead and tried the basics of uninstalling the SDK 2007 and GE:S and then reinstalling them. Started playing again, went threw a map then the next one started AND it DIDN'T freeze. However after that map the next map did again freeze at the very beginning at the Join Game menu.. still awaiting any assistance...  :-\

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:18:19 pm »

What are your system specs? What map does the game freeze on in both occasions?
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:02 pm »

Freezing is not a symptom of mod issues. Crashing is, if the game freezes and it pops up a box telling you something about an exception error or something like that. General freezing, as in you can't move the mouse, have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of the program, is indicative of bad video card drivers or you are running a conflicting program in the background. Without more information your question will remain unanswered...

_Violence_

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:25 am »

From my experience so far, it freezes at the beginning of any map. If I join midway through the map though, after the first round has already begun then it is fine. I'm not sure as far as if it is only particular game scenarios that it is freezing.

There is no runtime exceptions or anything. It just gets to the screen you get when you first start a new map and it locks up and loops a noise. I can still move the mouse, but the game interface itself doesn't actually respond. Could the game actually be locking up and it is just the windows mouse overlaying the game that I am using? But yes there is no error message and I have to end the process using task manager. I read in another thread dealing with issues of the game freezing at the end of the round where there would be a error log written if the game crashed, but I did not find any log of sorts (I looked in the "Steam\SteamApps\*username*\source sdk base 2007" directory).

System Specs:
Intel 2.4ghz duo core
Geforce 8600M GT
4gb DDR2 ram
Vista Home Premium SP1
(any other specs needed let me know. I can't recall full details.)

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:11:23 am »

your system specs are not the issue. Are your vid drivers up to date?

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

_Violence_

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:19 am »

They should be I just reformatted my laptop recently and grabbed drivers from Nvidia. I'll double check that however.

Ah! New driver package just came out last week it would appear. I'll download this and see if it fixes anything. Honestly though I'm suspecting it's not my video drivers, however, technological difficulties and their sometimes very simple solutions have never ceased to amaze me.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:28:17 am by _Violence_ »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:08 am »

What AntiVirus software are you using? Certain AntiVirus programs (AVG, Trend Micro, Norton, and many others) often whore up tons of paged pool memory on your system, which is something Source requires a lot of. I remember I had to switch over to Avast! AntiVirus to get my Source Games running above Directx 8.0 without the same looping audio issue (Game freezes after loading with the first 125ms of audio looping, and I have to kill the process).
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

_Violence_

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:56:20 am »

I haven't reinstalled any anti-virus since reformatting yet. So there is nothing really running in the background except for your basic necessary services and a utility for my finger scanner. No system settings have changed since when I initially installed the GE:S and it worked fine.

And no the updated video driver didn't do the trick either.

I did notice though when I use the button my laptop to turn up the volume it brings up the briefing menu (I'm not sure what this menu is technically called, shows the nilla folder and what not, etc, etc.). I'm going to try to stop the Dell QuickSet service and see if that effects anything. I'm unsure why it would suddenly start interfering with it but rather didn't do so before.

Oh and also, the looping audio clip isn't a recurring thing. It only loops if it happens to be playing an audio clip when the map loads.

UPDATE:
I quick the DellQuickSet process and it didn't change anything.
Irrelevant, but I also realized it's not a nilla folder... I don't know what it is, but I think you all know what menu I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:01:27 am by _Violence_ »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:44:05 pm »

Popping up menus with volume keys is common with laptops just ignore that stuff I have to deal with it on my own comp haha.

As for the crashing, you should try reinstalling the source sdk 2007 from scratch. Delete all occurances of the source sdk 2007 and redownload it from steam then let us know.

If that fails, try redownloading GES 3.1 full installer.

_Violence_

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 01:56:23 am »

I uninstalled both and reinstalled both already. Unless there is a more absolute way to uninstall them then what I did. I used the GE:S uninstaller and under Steam under the SDK 2007 context menu I clicked "Delete local content". Then I rebooted and reinstalled both of them (I think I rebooted.. don't recall). I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes really though to reboot or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up