GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 11:39:19 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [INFO] 'sv_maxrate'  (Read 5666 times)

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
[INFO] 'sv_maxrate'
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »

This command is misunderstood and even CAL has it wrong. 
If you want your players on your server to have a nice smooth choke free game please read on.

sv_maxrate = The maximum rate a player can use. No player on the server can have a higher rate than the sv_maxrate and most servers seem to restrict us to 30000 for some reason.
RATE – The common cause of choke and loss.

Rate the biggest problem with server administrators and players.  This setting is probably the main thing every single netcode guide has got wrong.  Why is this? Most of the netcode guides came from old CS 1.6 players.  Who already knew what settings worked in old CS but didn’t realize they would ever need to set these settings higher.  Even Cal has this setting wrong but won’t change it because I am not a GOD to the cal community.  Rate is the amount of bytes per second you want the server to send you.  Example you are suppose to get 100 updates per second from the server each update is around 400 bytes.   That is 40000 bytes per second but you have your rate set to 30000 that means after you receive 75 updates you won’t receive 25 updates that second.  So your rate setting can cause you not to receive updates which you will know because those updates will show up as choke.

Rate is merely a cap saying don’t send more than 30000 bytes/second (I used 30000 as an example).  Tell me this if you were downloading mp3’s would you want to say don’t send me more than 30000 bytes/second which = 234kbits per second.  I guess you would if you had dsl because it is about that fast.  We spend so much money on fast download speeds yet in half life because someone said put this setting in. This is the optimal setting you should use and we believe it.  I say don’t believe them or me follow what they say and see if it works.  Tests settings they said don’t use and see what happens.  Here is a breakdown of common internet speeds that I converted into bytes.

Read more here
http://www.jason35.com/Netcode.htm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:45:26 am by Sean [Baron] »

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: Sv_maxrate
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:08:20 pm »

ooo I like detailed info <3
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:03:40 pm »

can we link this on our wiki?

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:08:40 pm »

+1 again
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:45 am »

can we link this on our wiki?

no joke good information dude.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:28:03 am »

I ran through that site and tweaked the Octopussy servers, we'll see if any difference is made.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Zippy has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:50 am »

I agree with keefy.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:16 am »

no joke good information dude.

This should settle some stuff up for alot of people... Greatly detailed info good find there keef
Pages: [1]   Go Up