GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 06:33:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 81122  (Read 8303 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 81122
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:12:16 am »

Got a small test in the euro timezone.

Damage seems mostly alright, but there is a problem somewhere. I've requested from coding a little something to let me test and debug locally.
CMag seems to suffer the most from this issue; it's almost not worth using.  I'm also looking at the trigger/fire delay; it may need to be shortened to keep it competitive with the other weapons.

My current concern beyond damage is with respawning of items.  It's way too fast, armor espcially, for a small match.  Also, ammo pickups are simply wrong.  I have a plan, I'll bug KM with that after damage is sorted out.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: VC's Laboratory 81122
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

ge_weaponrespawntime
ge_itemrespawntime

nuff said

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:44 am »

ok...but why not just change it in the release so we wont have to input those server commands. It should be at a happy medium to begin with. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 05:40:01 pm »

That's cute and all, but an adaptive system is better because that prevents the server host from needing to touch anything and will handle fluctuating server populations reflexively.

respawntime = 35.0 - 5.0 * sqrt( (25.0 / 16.0) * currentplayercount );
(or a simple lookup table containing the results of this calculation)

This assumes a hard player limit of 16 players and will scale respawns thus:
0 players: 35 seconds.
1 player: 30 seconds.
2 players: 26 seconds.
3 players: 24 seconds.
4 players: 22½ seconds.
5 players: 21 seconds.
6 players: 19½ seconds.
7 players: 18½ seconds.
8 players: 17¼ seconds.
9 players: 16¼ seconds.
10 players: 15¼ seconds.
11 players: 14½ seconds.
12 players: 13½ seconds.
13 players: 12½ seconds.
14 players: 11½ seconds.
15 players: 10¾ seconds.
16 players: 10 seconds.

Now, a loaded server will be kept well-supplied while a light server won't see people picking up the same damn armor three times in one gunfight.  (Happened during testing; I caught someone getting armor, we played autoshotty, I picked it up, more autoshotty, I grabbed it again just in time and ended the combat.  That stunk.)

The existing cvars could become multipliers to allow some customization in release and ease of beta testing.

Look what you did, making me bug about this before damage is sorted out.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:56 pm »

This is why we test VC... otherwise we don't get all these little minute details... its not like I can magically make every aspect of the game perfect from one go. This is why Alpha 1 - Beta 1.1 failed, it was never tested. We have been testing Beta 3 for 3 months now every week, which in and of itself is going to make the final product amazing.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:13:50 pm »

I get all the little minute details. Then I beat them into submission using mathematics, hax, and force of will.

Alpha 1.1 didn't fail; it r0x0r'd as far as generic DM goes, and it lasted pretty long, no doubt because of awesome celebrity players like Viashino Cutthroat and Unknown Pain, bringin' in da' whoopass to the insatiable masses. But something happened immediately after its release that has plagued it until the holy illuminating light of the man-gods VC and KM burned away the toxic curse and allowed GES to photosynthesise anew.

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:49:32 pm »

I get all the little minute details. Then I beat them into submission using mathematics, hax, and force of will.

Alpha 1.1 didn't fail; it r0x0r'd as far as generic DM goes, and it lasted pretty long, no doubt because of awesome celebrity players like Viashino Cutthroat and Unknown Pain, bringin' in da' whoopass to the insatiable masses. But something happened immediately after its release that has plagued it until the holy illuminating light of the man-gods VC and KM burned away the toxic curse and allowed GES to photosynthesise anew.

Be interesting to see the finished product, hopefully VC's coding is as good as the b testers are saying :/
Pages: [1]   Go Up