GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:08:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey there  (Read 5615 times)

1cowabunga

Hey there
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:16 am »

Hello,

I just thought I'd drop in to say hi since I just joined.  I got the beta 1.1h and can't wait to start playing, but my 56k modem is just not working out for me. :)  I tried to start a LAN game just to try it out offline but for some reason I'm getting an error message that says "Disconnected: Steam validation rejected".  Sound familiar to anyone?  I tried to join an online server but my ping was way to high for me to even move.  As much as I'd love to play this online - its just not going to happen for me yet.   Any suggestions on getting a LAN game started?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Thanks!

~Sam

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Hey there
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:16:39 am »

As a 56k player in the past I can suggest you set your rate in console to a number around 4300.  If you roll 33k~36k V90 connect speed, that will be close to optimal.  If you have a better connection you might up that a bit.  If your connection is lower; you're pretty much doomed.  31.2k under V34 is not sufficient.

Assume you must be connected to the interwebs to the game to run, despite rumors I've heard, I've never gotten a Steam game to actually work offline.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

1cowabunga

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:37:58 am »

Thanks for the tip!  I'll give it another try. 

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:18:55 pm »

As a 56k player in the past I can suggest you set your rate in console to a number around 4300.  If you roll 33k~36k V90 connect speed, that will be close to optimal.  If you have a better connection you might up that a bit.  If your connection is lower; you're pretty much doomed.  31.2k under V34 is not sufficient.

Assume you must be connected to the interwebs to the game to run, despite rumors I've heard, I've never gotten a Steam game to actually work offline.

I've gotten steam to work offline when I wa 56k, however it was a huge pain in the ass, its just geared towards broadband.  Make sure you turn off the auto update feature in all of your games, or you're gonna get 100mb updates that won't let you play until you download it all. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up