Editing and Customization > Resources, Tools, Tips & Workarounds

3ds Modeling Tool for Source

<< < (3/12) > >>

Jonathon [SSL]:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$collisionjoints

This what you're looking for? If that doesn't help hopefully another developer with experience with animated props comes by and can provide a .qc example.

wallworm:

--- Quote from: Jonathon [SSL] on December 21, 2010, 10:04:17 pm ---http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$collisionjoints

This what you're looking for? If that doesn't help hopefully another developer with experience with animated props comes by and can provide a .qc example.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I've already read those docs. Really, I'm looking for the method that people generally use to make animated collision hulls in 3ds and get them to their compiled model. I'm not clear how to tie a hull piece to a specific mesh/bone . If someone can help figure this out, it will mean that the tool will also handle animated models that have to also collide...

It's just something I haven't done before... so I'm floundering around trying to figure it out. Looking at the QCs that are in the SDK don't really help me visualize the process.

PS. I've already loaded yet a new version tonight. V 0.93

killermonkey:
If I have time I'll post a detailed overview later. I pioneered a lot of the xsi tutorials back in the day so I know a lot of wrong ways to export for source and the magical "right way". Although I can't speak to specifics of 3ds max.

wallworm:

--- Quote from: killermonkey on December 22, 2010, 12:21:32 pm ---If I have time I'll post a detailed overview later. I pioneered a lot of the xsi tutorials back in the day so I know a lot of wrong ways to export for source and the magical "right way". Although I can't speak to specifics of 3ds max.

--- End quote ---

Thank You! The priority for me at the moment is tying the collision hulls to animations.

killermonkey:
Well ok, in XSI, this is a trivial matter. These directions are most likely due to tool limitations in the XSI Source Plugin (which sucks a large amount of ____) and less on the process that *should* occur.

You create independent meshes to cover the area of the body/object that the bone will control.

[insert pic]

Then you combine the meshes together into one polygon mesh using a merge tool or whatever, as long as its one piece (again this is for XSI at least, your tool might have more control). Then create an envelope for that giant mesh that attaches to all the bones of the object.

[Insert Pic]

Then weigh each independent piece to the specific bone 100% that you want it to follow. So all verticies for that one block will be pointed 100% to bone X.

[Insert Pic]

This creates literally the same thing you would have when exporting the regular object's weighed mesh, however, it will be independent pieces that represent collision hulls. They move with the bones just like the main mesh, but you have to define it in the QC with $collisionjoints so that the engine knows the mesh is not static.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version