GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:03:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maps where players can fall into inaccessible areas?  (Read 6473 times)

Joe

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.
Maps where players can fall into inaccessible areas?
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »

Hi,

I want to make DAD mode's resurrection entities appear at player death locations, except when players die by falling into inaccessible map areas, when this happens a RE will be appear at a player spawn point instead.

I will make this mode detect when players have fallen into inaccessible areas by giving it a list of "fall vectors", when players fall into inaccessible areas they will fall beneath these vectors. This list will be implemented as a dictionary, linking a map name to one or more "fall vectors".

If you can think of a way of detecting this without using a "fall vector" list, which would need to be updated when new maps (with inaccessible areas player can fall into) are made, then please let me know.

Maps where players can fall into inaccessible areas:
  • Cradle: players can fall off the platform at the bottom of this map.
  • Runway: players can fall off the cliff at the end of the runway.
  • Aztec Map
  • Complex
  • Caves
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:07:31 pm by Joe »
Free games:FPS + RTS: Renegade X & Battlezone 1.5,RTS: 7 Kingdoms & Open Red Alert, TBS:Hedgewars, playcatan.com & www.wesnoth.org

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Maps where players can fall into inaccessible areas?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:08:47 am »

The Old Aztec map- you can jump off the bridge into the abyss and well die there

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:32:24 am »

Complex as well.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

If this mode were an official one, i'd say there could be a brush entity that occludes certain areas from spawning resurection entities, so it would be up to the mappers to prevent these bugs and you wouldn't have to edit the mode everytime a new map is made.
Also we cannot (or rather we don't want to) control the usage of custom maps with GES.

BTT: caves has also a decent that would cause trouble with your mode.

Maybe another solution:

in most cases you die mid air with a trigger hurt.
If it's possible to detect this circumstance, maybe you could spawn the resurrection entity right there where the player touched solid ground last time before he died.

So the only thing needed would be a trigger hurt (which is an allready existing brush entity) added to the decents of every map official and custom.

Maybe you should also considder to do the same thing for players that died from fall demage.

Now if your spawn script also looks for the nearest spawn entity to the death location, it would be just a matter of adding a few additional spawn points in some maps, if the next spawn is to far away from the decent.

Joe

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »

Thanks for your help guys.

Having read Kraid’s helpful suggestions, I’ve decided that I won’t make this mode use a “fall vector” list to detect when players have fallen into inaccessible areas.

Instead I will prevent REs from spawning in inaccessible areas by making this mode respond to mid-air hurt trigger kills and by making it spawn REs at player spawn points when players fall to their death.

Quote from: kraid
Now if your spawn script also looks for the nearest spawn entity to the death location...
In GE:S 4.2.3 I think it will be possible for scripts to move capture areas from spawn points to anywhere, so this is how I intend to make REs appear at player death locations.

Quote from: kraid
...maybe you could spawn the resurrection entity right there where the player touched solid ground last time before he died.
Maybe you should also consider to do the same thing for players that died from fall damage.
To make a RE spawn on the ground where a player was before falling to their death, I think I would need to make this mode’s script track the movement of players. This would require a server to do a lot of work in order to respond to the rare event of a player falling into an inaccessible area. So I think REs should just be spawned at player spawn points when players fall to their death.

I would ideally like REs to always spawn at player death locations (or the ground beneath them when they are killed in mid-air) when players die in accessible areas.

However, if REs always appear at player spawn points when players fall to their death, even in accessible areas, there would be no need for map makers to use the hurt trigger brush to prevent this mode’s REs from spawning in inaccessible areas. So I think this compromise would be worth making to ensure that REs never spawn in inaccessible areas.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:01:25 pm by Joe »
Free games:FPS + RTS: Renegade X & Battlezone 1.5,RTS: 7 Kingdoms & Open Red Alert, TBS:Hedgewars, playcatan.com & www.wesnoth.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up