GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:00:17 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level designer --- X-tra  (Read 6766 times)

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
Level designer --- X-tra
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:15 am »

Hello everybody, my name is X-tra and I'm acctually 14 years old. I know that i'm not that old, but i't doesn't mean that I have no quality. I actually put a maximum of effort in each of my maps. I'm trying to fill up every corners with details to make things even better. I have great knowleadge about optimisiation, such as hints, func_details and other things. I'm also not afraid about displacements and I know almost every entities. I think I can make awesome things.

I have great potential and work a lot, so I thing I would be abble to be in the team.

I know that you guys are surrounded by many level designer. What I mean is that you don't realy need one more. But what do you want, I love to create map for HL2 and other games sooo much that I do that almost everytime. I must tell you that I created my first HL1 map 3 to 4 years ago, so I have some knowledge about mapping.

I am now going to show you some screenshots of my favs work.

L4D map ( Wip). As the SDK is not out yet, I did it whit HL2:EP2, by the way.

Some old TF2 work

Css map

HL2 maps

I have plenty of other stuff so... Ask if you want some. :D

As you can see, I work for almost every valve games. I can do almost every kind of map. Exterior maps, water maps, forests maps... and of course, interiors maps.

Thank you guys.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:04:19 am by X-tra »
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
Re: Level designer (what not again?)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:51 am »

How old are you?
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:40 am »

Ps : Omg likez lul chooze meh rofl lmao.
wat

You seem like you know some stuff, but the eight year old grammar is a large turn off.

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:14:44 am »

It was kind of a missed joke. Edited.

Baron : Is it realy important ? I mean... Would you refuse me because i'm not old ennoug? Whatever, I will be honnest, i'm 14 years old. 15 This summer.
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

JcFerggy

• JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:37:37 am »

My main point was it seems like you are not taking your application seriously. Now I have no say in whether you become a trail member or not, but I think you would have a better chance if you set up the topic as if it was a resume. Here is an example of something that I might have done.

My name is X-tra (Real Name), and I'd like to apply for a position dealing with level design.

I am currently 15 years old and in Grade X. I have an abundance of spare time which would allow me to work on some maps if I get approved.

My previous experience includes Half-Life 2 maps, Counter Strike Source maps, a Team Fortress 2 Map and a Work in Progress Left for Dead map. Below are several screens of my work so you can judge my skills for your selfs.

I believe that I would be a helpful addition to the team, and I that you would consider qualified enough to join the GoldenEye: Source Team.

(Said Screens)

Stuff like saying that your nervous should be kept to your self. These animals developers feed on fear.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:39:09 am by JcFerggy »

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:39:50 am »

You're right, there's alway a time for jokes, but not now. I edited and did a complete new application. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:50:25 am by X-tra »

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
Re: Level designer --- X-tra
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:04 am »

The geometry looks a little simple and boxy and the texture use isn't varied a lot between different surfaces in your maps. But I am not a level designer so I will wait for one of them to critique.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 02:53:41 am »

It was kind of a missed joke. Edited.

Baron : Is it realy important ? I mean... Would you refuse me because i'm not old ennoug? Whatever, I will be honnest, i'm 14 years old. 15 This summer.
Age is somewhat important, However, I was asking purely based on your unprofessional posting of an application.

These animals developers feed on fear.

Hahahahaha  :)
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:11 am »

Ok, I edited my application, hope it's better this time.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:21 am »

Ok here goes with some brutal honesty:

Your map SCREENS can be summed up in one word: BORING

There is absolutely nothing in any one of those screen shots that is new and exciting. NOTHING, I can make every one of those in about 1/2 a day, and I am not a level designer, but I have dabbled in it. You need to breath life into your levels, take inspiration from the world around you, apply an atmosphere, lighting, and props. Don't rely on concrete walls and pipes to make your level stand out, you must bring your art and skill to the level.

BTW, for future reference. Just because you edited the post to be "professional" doesn't make us forget the fact that you presented it in the first place as pretty much a joke. First impressions = lasting impressions. You should learn that now, it will do you well in your future. Keep trying on your level design, you are not ready for the team though.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:29:11 am »

one thing i think that makes you not quite ready, is that i don't see creativity innovation, or a passion to finish something.

i would rather see a few screens from one solid level than 100 mediocre screens from 100 different levels.

what i would recommend doing is pick yourself a level and art style that your interested in, and fallow it through to completion. take it play it with friends work on design and making a world. make up a project or level, or remake a real world thing or something from a movie and really show to yourself and to the gaming world what you can do.

this is a big challenge for someone your age, but if you find yourself passionate about doing this, there's no reason not to dedicate your time to it. if you really love level design youll find the time to do this little challenge.  to get on this team you have to love what you to the point of being crazy about it because right now we have quite a few very tallented level guys so if you want to squeeze in with them youll need to show the potential to get to their level as well as a willingness to say work on a level for 2+ years to get it to our standards.

we have had teammates that are around your age when they joined but they proved to us how dedicated they were to the project, and an intense passion for learning and self improvement. on top of that they had a good level of maturity which right now it looks like your just getting a lesson on hehe.

don't take this as a "fuck off kid don't come back" look at it as "grass hopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand you can be a level designer" so go practice your ass off and come back in a couple months to wow out kung fu master level guys your uber skills.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:35:30 am by Jonathan [Spider] »
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

JcFerggy

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 06:12:11 am »

If you are going to make a map for a sort of resume, remake a multiplayer level from The World is Not Enough so that it is actually enjoyable

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 12:19:11 pm »

Ok I'll come back later. You can lock this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up