GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:30:17 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing default sounds  (Read 3927 times)

1computersavvyguy

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • 1computersavvyguy has no influence.
Changing default sounds
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:17:56 am »

I'm a long time player, new to the forums & server.  I've got a server up and running & have tried it out with a group of friends. It runs fantastic but the only thing that I cant figure out is how to change various sounds. I've replaced some of the default sounds files on my server with different sounds that use the same name and audio formats as the originals, but they the default sounds play on the client end.

Thanks ~

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Changing default sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:08 am »

You cannot change the clients sounds if they already have them.

Client isn't looking to the server for the sound file, since the server isn't playing the file. This technique only works for things the server run and client sees. Example would be maps. You can mod a map to a point and users will never know, as stays on server.

Confusing thing to explain. But basically, can't change a clients sounds, or at least a level I can suggest.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:33:10 am »

You can change them in your client install and you will hear them. But nobody else will.

You can use resource lists on a server for clients to download files but this will not overwrite or modify client files. So they still will not be heard. Resource lists are only used to distribute additional files, not modify them.

tl:dr You can't change other people's sounds unless they change them themselves.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:37:58 am »

You can't change other people's sounds unless they change them themselves.
Bottom line.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.
Pages: [1]   Go Up