GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 20, 2024, 05:19:08 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good and Bad News...  (Read 8024 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Re: Good and Bad News...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 01:32:43 am »

Don't listen to Vincent, your cpu will always be waiting no matter how much you spend. You are better off getting solid mid-grade ram and overclocking. 16 GB is also a waste. 8 GB will ensure you never see more than 60% utilization.

Credentials: I upgrade and overclock biannually

I went from a amd athlon 4200 x2 to a amd phenom x2 555 and easily can run any game on high settings.

I have 4GBs and never went pass 2GB.

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:09 am »

Ram is probably the easiest (and cheapest) "serious" hardware upgrade, so it's not a big deal how much you start out with if you get some extra sticks a few weeks later.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:22 am »

I do technical computing (embedded systems) and learn shit like CPU design, OS architecture and assembly stuff. LOL. I know what I'm talking about... Besides: benchmarks are fuck all when it comes to the overal complexity of modern OS design and there's a lot more to a responsive system and overal performance than just linear (albeit parallel) tasks.

And? I have a Bachelors and Masters in Electrical Engineering. I have taken and aced semiconductor physics. I have been building computers for 15 years and made it through the 10 megabyte is god 90's.

1. Why buy 16 GB now when you don't need it. RAM is easily extended LATER when, and if, you do need it. So, like I said, buying 16 GB is a waste.

2. Yes you did say spend more to make the CPU wait less.

while a shitload of fast, realy expensive RAM can beat a much faster CPU with less and slower RAM.

A shitload of excess RAM doesn't make your system any faster if its unused. Buying a CPU with the largest on-die cache (L1/L2) is the best approach since the CPU will try to prefetch as much from the RAM data as possible for it's operations. Spend your money there and on a good motherboard which will allow you to overclock cheaper 1600 MHz RAM to 2000 MHz. Which is exactly what I did and saved over $100 on RAM.

3. What you erroneously refer to the RAM speed in your diatribe is actually the Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of the MOTHERBOARD. This is the heart pulse of the computer and dictates how fast everything can communicate. You can easily overclock RAM to MATCH the faster FSB of a good motherboard.

Here's a marketing hint for you, VINCENT!, when a company sells you ram that is marked 2000x Ultra Mega Gaming RAM, ZOMG!!!, they are just selling you the SAME EXACT RAM as the cheapest variant (1600 cool RAM) except they have run the ZOMG ram through more tests to guarantee consistent performance.

This is the same exact marketing that CPU manufacturers use. They sell the same exact die architecture for chips that range from $200 to $800. The only difference is the location on the silcon wafer that the chip was made, the more desirable the location the MORE PROBABLE the CPU will perform to its rated standard for the rated time period.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:41:52 am by killermonkey »

Kratos

• Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:04 am »

I have a Bachelors and Masters in Electrical Engineering. I have taken and aced semiconductor physics. I have been building computers for 15
3. What you erroneously refer to the RAM speed in your diatribe is actually the Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of the MOTHERBOARD. This is the heart pulse of the computer and dictates how fast everything can communicate. You can easily overclock RAM to MATCH the faster FSB of a good motherboard.

Masters in Electrical Engineering eh? interesting... Funny thing is my brothers friend also has a masters in EE and he works in a airplane factory making engines and all the stuff he learned in school, doesn't apply to his work. All he just does is design and build engines, parts etc..poor kid. I guess the degree was the only thing that landed him a well paying job.

Speaking of FSB...

I have this motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2539#ov  Rev2.0

I upgraded to the amd phenom x2 555 am3

on gigabytes website they say

"*Note: If you install AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3/AM2+ CPU will not be impacted."

Is this why my pc suck ballz?

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:35 am »

Z0mg RAM -_- It's about the on die memmory controller of a specific CPU, in combinations with timings, number of RAM slots used, etc. No shit...

I prefetch all my shit in my RAM so loading is never an issue. Maybe you should too?

Besides, the point of buying a fast PC is to make sure you can still use it past the usual three year upgrade cycle. But if you can find the exact RAM dimms with the exactly richt timing that your CPU performes best with, the lucky you.

And if you know so much about CPU and OS design, then you should know that if you do anything at all on your PC, then the CPU is almost never waiting, except when there is nothing to do (and you're not running Windows, because then the kernel is ticking all the time), but then it's not realy usefull, now is it? Those CPU load figures do not mean that the CPU is waiting half of the time. If you think that the CPU is waiting for some HDD operation then that is sort of correct, but while it's doing that it is actually doing something else in the mean time.

Ofcourse there are semi-realtime tickless OS's (unlike Windows, BTW) that actually make the CPU do nothing at all, but that's a different story, because we're talking about computer speed and thus load.

Kratos

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 06:34:25 pm »

Bad news.... my Geforce 8800gtx fried a week and a half ago.

Good news.... that card is 3 years old and I ordered MY NEW RIG  :D
CASE: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower
CPU: i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M LGA1366
FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: 2x 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM //Don't want SSD... yet
;-)
MOBO: GigaByte G1.Sniper LGA 1366 x58 Intel
PSU: 850 Watts - Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz G.Skill Ripsaws X
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.2GB 448 Core
EXTRAS: Internal 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

inb4 Y U NO GET [insert other hardware here]?!? ITSO MUCH BETTER!!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/optical-gaming-mouse-g400

get that!

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:24:40 pm by Sergeant Kelly »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 03:38:57 am »

Kratos

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 04:08:38 am »

Just get the G500, upgraded version of the MX518  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/gaming-mouse-g500 it's also wired, which is better.

The G400 is the new mx518

http://www.techspot.com/news/44177-logitech-mx518-gets-long-deserved-successor-g400.html

when did the G500 come out? I never even knew this wtf

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:39 am »

I actually just bought a G400 in November. Funny how you mentioned that hahah.

And my girlfriend bought me a G19 for Christmas so no need to worry about a keyboard either :D

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:10 am »

Nice looking build, but I would have swapped the CPU with a2600k and overclocked to 2700k speeds if I needed to.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:15 am »

2700K you can swap out for the 2600K and save a few bucks.  Thats a decent mobo, but the P67 series is being disco'd, wont really matter as Intel is once again going to change the socket next year :/

I have 2x the same video card,  it can get loud.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up