GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 06:35:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good and Bad News...  (Read 7625 times)

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
Good and Bad News...
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:06:12 am »

Bad news.... my Geforce 8800gtx fried a week and a half ago.

Good news.... that card is 3 years old and I ordered MY NEW RIG  :D
CASE: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower
CPU: i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M LGA1366
FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: 2x 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM //Don't want SSD... yet
;-)
MOBO: GigaByte G1.Sniper LGA 1366 x58 Intel
PSU: 850 Watts - Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz G.Skill Ripsaws X
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.2GB 448 Core
EXTRAS: Internal 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

inb4 Y U NO GET [insert other hardware here]?!? ITSO MUCH BETTER!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:09:18 am by mbsurfer »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: Good and Bad News...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:11 am »

Old rigs've been dropping like flies around here.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 03:22:33 am »

I'd like to build a new system, my current one is going on 4 years old. However, I can't justify spending on the money on one when this one still runs like a champ and I really don't play any hardware stressing games anyways. I just like putting a computer together and the feeling of fast.

There is the possibility of building a media box that I can connect to the big TV in the living room so I can stream movies to it or emulation. I can connect my laptop to it, but it's too much hassle compared to a dedicated box.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:54:58 am »

Sounds like a pretty beastly system. I hope you get somma dat BF3 so you can make use of it.

I better warn you though, if you have one of those gigantic monitors even your 560 is going to have a little trouble with it. My quad-core, GTX 460 machine was running fine at 1400x900 on all high, but now that I've upgraded to 1920x1200 it gets choppy unless it's at medium.

Additionally, you could have waited a month or two for Nvidia's 600 series cards to come out. You would have seen a nice price drop for your 560!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:15:07 am by Sergeant Kelly »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:12:47 am »

Was unaware I had a problem. I'll have to look into that now.
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:43 am »

Why should i upgrade my system, soon we all will have "unlimited graphics power"... LOL

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:16 am »

I always buy order my rigs with the "OMG you're never going to need that fast x and large y"-mindset.

So my rig is now 4 years old, and it's still pro.
-8GB of RAM;
-HD5770 (fried the 4890x2, but the 5770 is much faster); ([size=78%]Onboard 3300 for the lulz)[/size]
-AMD Phenom 9950 (B3 stepping) x4; ("AMD all the way")
-1TB HDD.

In the end you'll safe money because your system lasts longer.

I'm wondering why you didn't buy 16GB of ram and a little cheaper CPU? RAM always seems an afterthought to people, while a shitload of fast, realy expensive RAM can beat a much faster CPU with less and slower RAM. It is, after all, the Cache bottleneck in computing:
CPU: "Hey RAM, gimme that"
RAM: "H-hold on a sec... oh maybe it's on the HDD..."

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:40:22 pm »

Sounds like a pretty beastly system. I hope you get somma dat BF3 so you can make use of it.
Already got it ;) Add me on Origin: mbsurfer or mbsurf3r can't remember.

Additionally, you could have waited a month or two for Nvidia's 600 series cards to come out. You would have seen a nice price drop for your 560!
Yeah, but I needed a home system for college fast.

I'm wondering why you didn't buy 16GB of ram and a little cheaper CPU?
Yeah, ram is cheap at the moment. I might spend the extra ~$80 in a few weeks if I get my tutoring position at school :D

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »

Bad news.... my Geforce 8800gtx fried a week and a half ago.

Good news.... that card is 3 years old and I ordered MY NEW RIG  :D
CASE: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower
CPU: i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M LGA1366
FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: 2x 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM //Don't want SSD... yet
;-)
MOBO: GigaByte G1.Sniper LGA 1366 x58 Intel
PSU: 850 Watts - Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz G.Skill Ripsaws X
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.2GB 448 Core
EXTRAS: Internal 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

inb4 Y U NO GET [insert other hardware here]?!? ITSO MUCH BETTER!!

why do they say that getting an i7 is a dumbass idea when an i5 can be faster..

if an i7 is faster than the i5 and is overclockable, i say its worth it.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:29 pm »

Don't listen to Vincent, your cpu will always be waiting no matter how much you spend. You are better off getting solid mid-grade ram and overclocking. 16 GB is also a waste. 8 GB will ensure you never see more than 60% utilization.

Credentials: I upgrade and overclock biannually

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:35 pm »

Don't listen to Vincent, your cpu will always be waiting no matter how much you spend.
What? That's not what I said and it's not true. It's just that a little slower model plus the saved money one can spend on faster RAM can mean faster performance with unrepetative OS tasks (for the rest there is caching meganisms all over the place).

16 GB is also a waste.
90's: "Sir... A ten MEGABYTE harddrive! You'll never fill it up in a lifetime!" and also software caching.

Credentials: I upgrade and overclock biannually
I do technical computing (embedded systems) and learn shit like CPU design, OS architecture and assembly stuff. LOL. I know what I'm talking about... Besides: benchmarks are fuck all when it comes to the overal complexity of modern OS design and there's a lot more to a responsive system and overal performance than just linear (albeit parallel) tasks.

PS: So not to come over as arrogant, I'll give you an example: Battlefield 3. That shit's extremely GPU intensive, right? Wrong! Although GPU's these days are faster than console when you program them directly (almost avoiding drivers), there are like ten layers of abstraction to plow through. So how does that work? Remeber Rage for example. It had shitty performance right? Wrong! Graphics library drivers (like OpenGL and DirectX) are so shitty programmed that per-pixel texture lookup actualy does *Load entire tile->decompress->loockup pixel (not in a blitting way)->return pixel value->process*. That's all across the board.

So how do modern GPU API drivers work? Well there is only one single driver out there that realy talks to the GPU. It's a intermediate representation layer that consists of an abstract descriptive language that the CPU is constantly JIT compiling and sending to the actual GPU. All other drivers like CUDA, OpenCL, OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Direct3D (and so forth), shit out API to IR (Intermediate Repressentation) abstraction language that is then JIT compiled by the CPU.

Guess how much this hurts when CPU caching can't keep up? Guess where the performance is determined by? RAM mostly. But we're not out of the woods yet.

The memmory management of the GPU is done by the CPU queing and memmory management driver (which is why there are more than one GPU driver in the Windows NT and Gallium3D (Linux, mostly) architecture. This is all, too, handled by the CPU and onces again limited by the RAM speed.

And we're not there yet, because the user level drivers like graphics API drivers all need to constantly switch between kernel calls and userlevel calls. If you're interested in this terror: in Windows 7 open the task manager, go to perfomance -> view -> click "Show Kernel Times"and see how half the CPU load is red at allmost all times: this is (for example win32) API->Kernel calls. Oh yes we have to also digg through that shit.

I hope you'll understand now why your $99999 rig is just a little faster than a medieval aged Xbox360 that is directly programmed without all these layers of abstraction and constant CPU<->RAM operations. No these console ports are not shitty.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:10:07 pm by V!NCENT »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:14 am »

And here we go again.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:38:36 am »

Yeah, but I needed a home system for college fast.

Haha, that's why I bought mine too. I ended up dorming though, so the gfx card I bought just ended up getting old while I slaved away at Java projects on a laptop. :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:40:19 am by Sergeant Kelly »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:30 am »

And here we go again.

lol and thats why i love this forum.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:09:39 am »

As long as you can play Modern Warfare 3 what else matters, V!NCENT?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up