GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 06:29:53 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: President Obama: School year must be extended by month for US students  (Read 8143 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!

We are now officially fucked by that Obama's plan to extend school year by a month.

This will raise my fucking loans, tuition, book renting money, gas money, food money.

President Obama: School year must be extended by month for US students to compete with China, India

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/09/27/2010-09-27_president_obama_school_year_must_be_extended_by_month_for_us_students_to_compete.html?r=news

Instead, fire the teachers who cant teach shit, and fire other people who dont know how to run colleges, school and bring back engineers or smart people who can teach students the correct way.

Your opinions?

Updated: It appears this wont affect U.S Colleges, only Kindergarten though HighSchool
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:40:04 am by osaeed2k9 »

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
Re: President Obama: School year must be extended by month for US students
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »

And while "that's going to cost some money," he said, "that would be money well spent."

Hmmmmm... They've been trying to make it year round school where i am anyways.. Would it be past high school and into the colleges? But yeah i agree maybe hes blind to the fact that not just the government will be spending money.. ALL of the students and etc will..

terps4life90

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »

Obama is a piece of shit in every way, he taxes people who went to college and who have great jobs in which they make a lot of money for the lazy ass bums that dont work or do shit for themselves or their families...putting us more in debt by making all this stimulus ideas in which he has no idea how he is gonna find the money to pay off those debts. He is a failure, not even legal to be president. He is an all around fuck, ands needs to be impeached.

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »

I already have an extra month of school by default, and next school year I'll only have one month of summer vacation, good times ahead.  :(

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:57:27 pm »

More time spent not-learning does not result in more learning.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »

Well said VC. The problem is not with the teachers nor the duration of a semester. It's with the students. We've got life pretty easy in America; we can be lazy asses and still make a living. That's not the case in China or India. Those guys rape their brains just to have a shot at making 1% the income an American counterpart would.

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »

Sure extend school by a month, BUT, like said before, more money to be spent on tuition, loans, books, and all that good stuff. After bailing out bank after bank, how the hell are the teachers going to get paid?? Here in South Carolina, teachers are being laid off left and right.. This is stupid.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 03:58:41 am »

I know from my experience the first 2 months going back to school were trying to relearn what we were taught before the summer break...  not so easy :/
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:51:17 am »

The rate of people that quit school earlier than normal in Quebec is really high (I'm one of them.)
If they would add up a month in here it would be even worse, Its already bad enough as it is...

As for USA, I don't even get why he's adding one more month, If you get good teachers, You can learn everything you need to learn in 8 months, Getting an extra month will just cost more money and will waste the time of teachers and children.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »

More time spent not-learning does not result in more learning.

Aye cap'n.

Funny how it seems that they never considered the idea of improving how we use our existing school time more effectively.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »

What's to consider?  You cannot legislate any of the following and get re-elected:

* Discipline your children to pay attention in school, and authorize teachers to maintain that discipline.
* Alter your cultural values to elevate the learned man above they who merely know enough to survive, often on subsudies.
* Pay teachers according to realized performance, not according to union dictate.

We live in a nation where the most intelligent thing on TV between the hours of 6pm and midnight is Jeopardy!, and none of the intelligence expressed there is practical; trivia is trivial, as the name implies.  Because it is profitable, most of the last two generations has been raised to despise the achiever, but enjoy receiving his tax dollars in the mail and use the electronic devices he developed.  We have decreed that mathematics is "stupid", that chemistry is terrorism, and that personal responsibility is a disease we eradicated, while turning a blind eye to the return of bedbugs and polio.

The great tragedy is that kids enjoy watching Bill Nye, until they are told by society that knowing things makes you a bad person.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:25:38 am »

*Looks at paper* VC FOR PRESIDENT! *Checks box on paper*

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:51:29 am »

^ I'd do it too, haha.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:37:56 pm »

I disagree. But only because as a non-American VC's potential foreign policy is a worry to me :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up