GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:31:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: KM's "Go Green" Guide  (Read 7365 times)

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
Re: KM's "Go Green" Guide
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:33 pm »

Cavity insulation for your house makes a huge difference in heating efficiency.  Was a good 3C warmer after i had it done. 
Get a combi boiler, one that only heats up water you will be using rather than one that heats a huge tank.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:45 am »

Good tips Keefy, but this assumes you own a home and have enough equity to afford these modifications. My guide is meant to be of little to no cost personal behavior kind of things to consistently help save the environment.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:52 am »

100% of Iceland's electricity comes from renewable sources, however I think you'll find they have the highest carbon footprint:population ratio this year.

Population 400,000 and one big ass volcanic erruption.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:17:16 am »

FYI not everyone can capitalize on geothermal as easily as they can.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:58 am »

this topic can still be active by showing you something not only its a green idea, but a fucking cool idea.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/10/22/bottle-so-beautiful-and-full-of-light/

1.)Choose your favorite drink and finish that all until the last drop appears.
2.)STOP dont recycle it in the bin.
3.)Get some bottle cover led's
4.)Crush the bottle however shape you want it to be
5.)Screw a led cover onto the bottle and its now a kick ass looking thing.
6.)Hang it in your room and you are a certified geek.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

Ride your bike for short distance travel!
Rather situational.  If bitches will keep their spandex shit on the sidewalk and off of the big boys road, fine, but whenever I see a tenspeed-bump on my highways' shoulders, I rage, because if he does something stupid, like be on my highways' shoulders, I'm the one getting dragged in for vehicular homocide.

Use public transportation as much as possible
Get felt-up by strange new people you didn't know you didn't want to meet!

Use a grocery bag for small trash bag (small trash can)
Works good for bagless vacuum dumping as well, as long as you don't fluff the bag when tying it up.

Replace all your bulbs with CFL's
Ahhhh, mercury.  Sweetest of the transition metals.
Did the greenfags completely forget about that part of fluorescent chemistry?  Oh wait, they would have to be practical smart instead of liberal/hippie smart for that.  Yes, using a heating coil as a light source is pretty caveman, but shit, one broken CFL and you're getting almost as much mercury as eating a half-can of tuna.

Take recycling seriously, know what your town accepts and SORT properly.
So your refuse will be nicely stratified when they dump everything into the same pile after pulling out the aluminum since that's the only thing that is profitable to recycle.

Now it's time for GOOD IDEA BAD IDEA

GOOD IDEA
Refuse a bag at a store when you don't NEED it (single item, big item, etc.)

BAD IDEA
Buy a couple reusable bags at Target/Walmart (only 99cents!)

My region sucks so I've been part-timing as a checkout chimp in recent months so I can afford to pay hazmat teams to clean up after broken CFLs.

Resuable bags, are, in a word: assholes.

1) They don't stretch and they're often too small in at least one critical dimension.  Plastic-bags are self-snugging, fabric means either the box is 1cm too wide to go in right, or 1cm too narrow and things bounce around.
2) You're slowing me down.  I've already got shit in a plastic bag by the time you come down from your hippie cloud and interject as though I were defecating on your VW Bug, "oh NO, I have this, save the bag."  I swear, every time someone comes up with a fabric bag they tell me to save the plastic bag, as though that's how they keep score.  It is my personal policy to strip the bag that I already started to use from the dispenser rungs, wad it up, and put it, empty, into the garbage beneath my terminal.  Why?  Fuck you, hippie.
3) Hippies don't wash.  This includes their bags.  You know that filthy bum texture that cloth gets when it is soiled slowly over time by atmospheric pollutants, sweat, dope fumes, and casual filth?  It's a little stiff, a little sticky, and you don't really want to touch it.

No cloth bags.  GTFO of my line.

Drive slowly and follow the speed limits, which will save you gas and other peoples lives.
Drive the speed that everyone else drives.  Fuel is cheap, no matter what spoiled Americunts say when our prices flirt with pairity with UK prices.  No one crashes their car into another car when they got the same speed as the other cars around them.  It's shitheads going one-under on a road where citizens go four-over and cops go nine-over that cause jams, clogs, and collisions, and if you want to reduce vehicular deaths, make public serving of alcohol illegal.

If your going on vacation, turn off your computer since your not going to be using UNLESS, you torrenting or going to use VNC on it.
Just turn it off.  We are entering the era of cheap portable computing, a couple hundred bucks gets you a little laptop, USB flash chips carry all the data you need, and if you seriously need a 24/7 line, just rent a server from a farm.

Throwing them away makes you a ungreen person and toxic waste gets into water and makes people act retarded.
This is an epic sentence, though for reasons beyond your intention.

The energy of recycling paper is offset by the fact you save trees.
Dammit, why do people say stupid things like this?
Man invented something a few years ago called a farm, where you breed things like chickens and cows and trees so you can eat/eat/wipe-your-ass with them later on.  A quick google reports that 15% of virgin (from tree) pulp production is from old-growth.  The regions that do still use old-growth are places like Canada and Russia, which is pretty much lousy with trees anyway.

When you chop down trees, you have barren land.  What's the #1 best thing you can do with that land?  Plant more trees.  Farming works.

Meanwhile, the "energy offset" is bullshit because a growing tree is a energy-collection and oxygen production device.  Farming trees collects energy from the sun and produces oxygen.  Recycling paper collects no energy from the sun and shits out a lot of industrial waste in the form of bleaches and chemicals used to treat the waste paper into something that the consumer is willing to buy.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 03:06:38 am »

Man invented something a few years ago called a farm, where you breed things like chickens and cows and trees so you can eat/eat/wipe-your-ass with them later on.  A quick google reports that 15% of virgin (from tree) pulp production is from old-growth.  The regions that do still use old-growth are places like Canada and Russia, which is pretty much lousy with trees anyway.

When you chop down trees, you have barren land.  What's the #1 best thing you can do with that land?  Plant more trees.  Farming works.

Meanwhile, the "energy offset" is bullshit because a growing tree is a energy-collection and oxygen production device.  Farming trees collects energy from the sun and produces oxygen. Recycling paper collects no energy from the sun and shits out a lot of industrial waste in the form of bleaches and chemicals used to treat the waste paper into something that the consumer is willing to buy.

Q-F-T
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Kratos

• Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 04:25:22 am »

where you breed things like chickens and cows and trees so you can eat/eat/wipe-your-ass with them later on. 

That is halrious!

I cant say anything but VC is totally fucking right on the money!!!

Recycling USES energy which releases shit into our assmosphere then we inhale that shit that turns our childrens into dumb little fuckheads who cant pay attention in school, who cant listen to their parents, and the list can go on.. well not all shit is from that... but im just showing a point like a lot of the chemicals that come from products which are not good for your health have an effect on human beings.

VC must have read a lot of books in his past. I am just thinking VC has a house with those big and wide ass book shelves stored with enviromental books lol.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:28:11 am by osaeed2k9 »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:50 am »

It's not the number of books you read, but which ones you select.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

It's a little stiff, a little sticky, and you don't really want to touch it.
Like the socks under my bed.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 03:09:19 am »

Yes, like the socks you masturbate into to the voice of Bashe when he is doing his Bizarro-VC impression.

Kratos

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 05:30:38 am »

Yes, like the socks you masturbate into to the voice of Bashe when he is doing his Bizarro-VC impression.

Bashe?   u mean this?

"Irresistible male marine suit that can make any chick horny and gives good luck"

Source= http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bashe

lol

Bashe

• Uppercut, oh yeah
  • Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!Bashe is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenEye: Source Homepage
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:05:53 am »

No. He is referring to me.

Anyway, let's not derail this any further. There is a decent discussion going on otherwise.

Kratos

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 03:19:57 pm »

No. He is referring to me.

Anyway, let's not derail this any further. There is a decent discussion going on otherwise.

Oh shit, i am sorry.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:05 am »

Instead of simply driving the speed limit and pissing all the other drivers off or curing lead foot, simply buy a more fuel efficient car. Like, a Toyota Prius or a BMW Z4 or something. They get 30-50mpg even when being gunned by a madman.

Sadly this is a more "do as I say, not as I do" deal as I get an amazing 15mpg when joyriding my massive SUV around.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up