GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:28:58 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Advertisement for GoldenEye: Source  (Read 13713 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Advertisement for GoldenEye: Source
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 04:29:01 pm »

Wait, does the facebok add cost anything?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 04:53:57 pm »

Yes they do.

But since this is about getting the word out and helping the mod, its the least we can do ;) (you can thank google for the $)
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:18 pm »

THANKS!

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »

Ha i will spray GOLDENEYE: SOURCE very big on a wall in my vocational school, 800 km away from home. I will make this everywhere. They donĀ“t know me :-) :-) :-) 

What a surprise

We don't support vandalism. Just make a poster.

Zaichata

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zaichata has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 09:55:54 am »

If you want it to be real succesful, just release it as a freeware standalone game.

People SWARM on freeware games, just check out games like Warrock, they're absolutely horribly bad, but it's free (at least for some part) so people play it.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »

Im sure Valve might have something to say about someone handing out their engine for free...

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 01:02:45 pm »

Not an option for us, unless we wanted to redo everything we did in the past few years.
Beside that, our mod is allready free, you just need a source engine based game.
Most ppl got at least one source based game and if not HL2:DM for about 4-5$ is really cheap for getting access to a huge ammount of MP&SP mods out there.

It could be much worser, if we would have a, lets say, mod for Crysis, you had to buy Crysis (still a lot more expensive i guess) in order to play it.

Zaichata

• Agent
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:09 pm »

True, but eventually the players you can attract is way smaller.

Let's take a mathematical approach. Element x are your gamers. It is calculated that for pc gaming, Steam and all it's supported games (including css, cs, cod, left4dead, and so on) has about 70% market share. I've read this and i found it quite shocking, because i really had no idea Steam was such a major player nowadays, although, with the recent craze about all the call of duty games, this might be understandable.

Let's say that x=10 gamers.

x = 10

70 % of those gamers have access to Steam.

x = 7

Now i'm not going to sum up every single game that features source engine, but only the major players, 2.1 million purchases of Cs:s, 6.5 million purchases of HL2.
If you add those up you get 8.6 million players who have access to the source engine, however, the number of players who have a console instead of a pc i do not know, but this compensates with the fact that i didn't mention other small games.
Steam itself states it has about 20 million active users.

Let's calculate a bit, 8.6 million (estimated number of pc source owners) / 20 million (steam accounts) = 0.43

Now let's divide 7 to see how many gamers have steam.

x = 7 . 0.43 = 3.01 = 30.1 %

So, if you followed this little calculation, you can see that at maximum (while this is obviously inaccurate) you can reach 30.1% of the pc gaming market with your mod.

On avarage, you can only reach 3 out of 10 gamers who are actually capable of running the mod on their pc.

And i didn't even include their field of interest!

sources used :
http://www.jouwgames.nl/content/n/9061/Steam-heeft-70-procent-marktaandeel.html
http://wikipedia.org

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:16 pm »

Your statistics and math are about as accurate as the climate scientist's hockey stick model....

Either way, it doesn't matter if it's 3 out of 10 people (at worst) that is still 8.6 mill * 0.3 = 2.58 Million by your numbers.... that is not even close to the number of downloads we have seen (about 30,000-40,000) since Beta 3 came out.

We still have 2.54 million people to impress upon. I believe thats a good number to start with before we piss off Valve who owns 70% of the market share (again according to your numbers)

This also doesn't even account for those people who find our mod and are convinced enough to bring themselves to the level of being able to play it (purchase HL2DM and everything else) which, by our very own forum experience, has been about 10-15 people!

Zaichata

• Agent
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »

Well i said it was obviously inaccurate, and the numbers i got from those sources listed below.

Also you say Valve has 70%, not really Valve, because Steam is just an application to deliver content to gamers, with major game publishers such as EA, THQ, Activision, SEGA, Ubisoft .... who distribute the games using steam and steam codes. That does not mean that Valve owns all these games now does it? Valve just owns the portal used to spread the games and where the games can be purchased, which is 70% of the market share nowadays.

Also you note the people who bought a source engine game just for this mod, well i don't think there are that many raving Bond or Goldeneye fans out there who own a pc capable of running the mod, like gaming, like first person shooters and are willing to pay money.

Use the edit button. Don't double post.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:50:04 am by Sergeant Kelly »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »

A PC capable of running this mod can be purchased for $300 these days. That is not an excuse and not a reason why people aren't playing the game. Who cares about those people anyway? Obviously any other form of advertisement will sway them to buy a better computer if they are not willing to do it already.

Honestly, we don't care if people play this mod like TF2. We have an extremely loyal following and A LOT of die hard fans for GoldenEye. Satisfying 10,000 people is more than enough to justify my work on this mod.

I believe our hard work will draw the fans that want to and are capable of playing this game. People telling other people about our mod is 100 times more powerful than any advertisement.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:43 pm »

We have never really needed to advertise..  Modding sites have always helped us out in that area.  We get in on some podcasts, interviews.. like hak5.  We get out there enough and it doesn't cost us anything. Also on the plus side is that most of it has always been good.

I can see a gap in the audio world.  We do have the best music of any game ever made.  Sole can do what he needs in the audio community which will bring even more to the Mod.

Even magazines pimp us.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:22:41 pm by Enzo.Matrix »
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 12:32:41 am »

We are a huge hit on Facebook:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8834/capturermr.png

I have had the ads pretty much off till I get get some more funds in there, used up all my Google cash in just couple days.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 02:42:28 am »

Holy crap lol.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 02:54:21 am »

nice. need some google ads here on the forum to pay for the ge ad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up