GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:01:03 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: failed to take master pipe connection lock  (Read 27763 times)

Kickflipkid687

• 3D Artist
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kickflipkid687 has no influence.
    • Matthewlichy.com
failed to take master pipe connection lock
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:30:44 pm »

I keep getting this fucking error when trying to compile a test model with GUIStudioMDL for Orange Box.  I've re-installed steam and had to re-install everything, and tried many differen't combos of things, but still nothing works.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit with latest steam updates.  I turned off my firewall as well and still nothing.

This is driving me nuts....  :-[

Kickflipkid687

• 3D Artist
  • Secret Agent
    • Matthewlichy.com
Re: failed to take master pipe connection lock
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:59:12 am »

Alrighty.... FINALLY I got it all working... :D

KM and I spent some time tonight looking through all my shit trying to get this working and it still gave that error.  So the FIX for Vista users with 64 bit for compiling for Half-Life 2 or whatever is to make sure and Run as Administrator with GUIStudioMDL.   

I tried everything else besides this and finally realized I never had tried that, and I did this while running the SDK and walah!  I ran into textures not showing up after that, but I found out I had to have VertexLit in my .vmt to get them to show up. 

Now I am trying to figure out why the spec map is really fucked up, but I think it's because I'm using an EnvMap instead of something else.

Edit:  It also seems you need to have Steam opened with Admin for it to compile.  I was just getting the same error so I restarted steam running as Admin and restarted the SDK.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:39:49 pm by Kickflipkid687 »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

Now I am trying to figure out why the spec map is really fucked up, but I think it's because I'm using an EnvMap instead of something else.

What do you mean fucked up?
Is it there in Model viewer, did you try it ingame?
Be sure to place a env_cubemap in your testmap when useing the command in the .vmt and run buildcubemaps in the console when first time ingame.

As for the EP2 engine, no specularity will be displayed before you built the cubemaps and restarted the game.
In EP1 the skybox was used for it, which gave the most props an overpowered specularity and overbrightening effect on high reflective surfaces.

Kickflipkid687

• 3D Artist
  • Secret Agent
    • Matthewlichy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:31:51 pm »

Ok, ya I didn't try that.  Well I can't even test it in-game right now.  I tried to compile a test map KillerMonkey gave me, but I get errors.  I think something is still messed up with my gameconfig...

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:41 am »

post your compile log, or get me on AIM

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Kickflipkid687

• 3D Artist
  • Secret Agent
    • Matthewlichy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40:59 am »

Sorry, I figured it out.  Now the only problem I have is with normal maps not showing up in-game.  Otherwise everything else works fine. 

The normals appear fine in the model viewer, but ya, just not in-game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up