GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:14:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_Train  (Read 8560 times)

LP640

ge_Train
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:16:43 am »

Hi everyone. I've been playing the Goldeneye Source mod since its early stages of production. Over the Christmas break I decided to start working on a map design for the Train level. I should note that this map features only custom textures and no props have been placed yet.

I understand that SharpSh00tah is assigned to map this level out, so this is more of just my own custom map design based on the original Goldeneye level; a converted missile train. I'm interested to see what the community thinks of my map so far. Here are some shots:

Passenger Car

Cargo Car

Feedback is welcome. I need encouragement to finish this map if it is really worth finishing...

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
Re: ge_Train
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:20 am »

Finish it! First, the experience will make you a better mapper, second, I always love playing new maps for GES.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:02:22 am »

I want to see a final product. Despite the linearity of the map, I loved the original.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:22 am »

hi there!

it´s great that you wanna work on train. it was one of my favourite single player maps. but on the first picture it looks too futuristic with all that metal and sharp angles, I think. I would try some wood-textures and warm lightning instead. also the hallway is a bit too small for a multiplayer-map (the second one seems ok). imagine 16 people running around, heavy armed, wanting to get ahead.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:06:53 am by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »

I think everyone knows train is one of the few levels which won't work out well in multiplayer if they're not heavily altered. Even team based game modes will fail because it's so tight.

Oh wait you wanted to be encouraged, well.... no matter how good or bad a map will be at the end, the vital thing is what you learnt while making it.
And i've allready seen ppl turning from absolute beginners into modding pros within a short periode of time.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »

I really like the look of the cargo car!

I think you should keep working on it. Custom maps are cool ;)
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:09:23 pm »

I think it could work for some gamemodes, and who says some minor modifications couldn't be preformed to improve flow while keeping the linear structure?
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:04 pm »

Looks sweet. Think about making a double decker car to give more movement options

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »

Or have a ladder to the roof, using a moving background to simulate a mobile train.  A dangerous alternate route, given the possibility of falling off of the sides...of course that's done in every game/movie ever, so it's debatable if that is the best way.

LP640

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:23:20 am »

Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone.

When I began the map design, my intention was to make it non-moving so that players could walk outside of the train at certain points. Later, I considered that the original Train level was in fact a moving train and I sealed the exterior doors and created a 30 frame animated jungle texture for the windows. A "moving train" environment sound is in the works.

The passenger car of the train houses private rooms with sliding doors which should make for good cover spots when players meet in the hallway. Boxes and crates will be placed in the cargo area. Aside from that, I don't want to steer too far off course from what the original Train map really is. What makes this map so unique and special is that it sports a long and narrow layout which is usually forbidden in the map making community.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:00:31 am »

But it's taboo for a very good reason; it ruins gameplay.  Hallways that are either long or narrow make it very difficult to advance on an opponent waiting at the other end, so one that incorporates both of these elements makes for dreadful combat.  If two parties meet at the passenger car, there will either be a stalemate, the player who tries to cross the hallway dies due to inability to dodge while moving between booths, or both parties go at the same time and it becomes a spam fest with the player who jumps the most victorious. 

The booths will provide very little in the way of advancing on your opponent, as it would take longer to open the door to a booth than it would to get to the next booth's door.  Even if you want to keep the original linear layout, you need to consider certain design elements of the train in GE64 make it literally unplayable with multiple participants.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 03:30:37 am »

Just putting this out there. Instant respawn spamfest CTK would be fun on this.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

JcFerggy

• JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:11:29 am »

Just putting this out there. Instant respawn spamfest CTK would be fun on this.
Define "fun" :P

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 07:39:39 am »

See "hectic" ;)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 07:58:09 am »

The first picture looks pretty slanted, might just be the textures playing with my mind though.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 06:40:46 am »

the definition of "fun" on this map is similar to the definition of "fun" for glass_cradle :D There will always be haters and people that don't like it. There will also be those people that think its great because of how chaotic it is. It really depends on how "serious" the gamer is.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:09 am »

the definition of "fun" on this map: There will always be haters and people that don't like it. There will also be those people that think its great because of how chaotic it is.
Ding ding
See also: Outdoor/space maps in Q3A

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 08:41:51 am »

Also see Surf, Deathrun and just generally cs_office

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »

Hallways that are either long or narrow make it very difficult to advance on an opponent waiting at the other end, so one that incorporates both of these elements makes for dreadful combat.
I agree, I can't really see this being fun to play, more frustrating than anything. It would be better to have the train waiting at a station with all doors open, that way you have the option to leave the train should any situation make it necessary, also having a shoot-out in a train station would be pretty cool. Sticking to the original is OK, but sometimes it's necessary to advance over the original to keep it new and exciting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:18:00 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

arturok1992

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • arturok1992 has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

are you serious people? this is GE_TRAIN!
Fuck the fun, awesome map.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up