GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:58:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ISSUE] hl2.exe automatically closing  (Read 3753 times)

zdawg

[ISSUE] hl2.exe automatically closing
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:54 pm »

I played GE:S yesterday afternoon, changed the launch options to "-dxlevel 95 -console -heapsize 2097152 -high -novid -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -w 1440 -l 900 -noborder -window" and it would not run. Removed the launch options and it still wouldn't run. Opened my task manager, went to the processes tab, and tried to open GE:S again. What I saw was hl2.exe popping up and then closing in the processes list. All other source games I have are working fine.

I have already tried disabling my firewall and running it, uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have run both SDK Base 2006 and 2007.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: [ISSUE] hl2.exe automatically closing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »

hl2.exe is stupid sometimes and stays open after you close ges. Make sure to end all hl2.exe and gameoverlay tasks in the manager before trying to boot it up again. I am not sure if I answered your question, but message back if I didn't. :/

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:12:21 pm »

You screwed yourself by loading it with ridiculous launch options which are now loaded into your registry and can only be undone with corresponding corrective options or clearing the setting in the registry.

You can blame valve for that one!

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

Most people resort to launch options only if they have a problem with normal settings that can't be configured within the options menu in game.

I'm assuming that configuration is what you use in other Source games, for a performance boost. It's not the wisest to expect that to work in a mod.

Try launching it with -autoconfig in your launch options
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

zdawg

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:01:12 am »

hl2.exe is stupid sometimes and stays open after you close ges. Make sure to end all hl2.exe and gameoverlay tasks in the manager before trying to boot it up again. I am not sure if I answered your question, but message back if I didn't. :/

No hl2.exe's are running at all. So that can't be the problem.

You screwed yourself by loading it with ridiculous launch options which are now loaded into your registry and can only be undone with corresponding corrective options or clearing the setting in the registry.

You can blame valve for that one!

How would I go about this?

Most people resort to launch options only if they have a problem with normal settings that can't be configured within the options menu in game.

I'm assuming that configuration is what you use in other Source games, for a performance boost. It's not the wisest to expect that to work in a mod.

Try launching it with -autoconfig in your launch options

-autoconfig did not work. I use these launch options in TF2 because my game tends to lock up and have sound looping (I don't know what the problem is with that, I've tried defragmenting the cache and all that noise.)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:45 am »

sounds like you have a general computer problem... use google to learn how to correct registry settings

zdawg

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:53:55 am »

sounds like you have a general computer problem... use google to learn how to correct registry settings

Cleared my registry out. It worked, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up