GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 20, 2024, 09:20:06 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level design application: OVRKLL  (Read 7343 times)

OVRKLL

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • OVRKLL has no influence.
Level design application: OVRKLL
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:08 pm »

Good day,

My name is *Removed by Poster's Request* and I am applying for a job as level designer on the GoldenEye Source project. Commonly, I am known in the gaming and modding world as OVRKLL and I have recently been looking for a serious mod team.

... which brought me to you. I have quite a lot of mapping experience, although the amount of finished work with the Source engine is limited due to my poor luck regarding mod teams; most of the projects I joined failed as a result of poor planning or leadership which is, obviously, why I'm taking an interest in GoldenEye.

Examples of my work are listed below.

Underground: Part I - A visual experiment
*Removed by Poster's Request*

Sewers Intro - A map featuring alternative gameplay (unreleased)
Please note that the initial room of Sewers Intro is strongly inspired by Underground: Part I as I wished to put some of the visually appealing brushwork to use in practice.

Trapped - Nostalgia!

Combine Sewers - A very long map mentioned mostly as a reference (unreleased)
Screenshots:

I'm looking forward to hearing from you - if you need to contact me outside the forum, my email address, also used for Windows Live Messenger, is [pm me].
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:48:58 pm by mbsurfer »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: Level design application: OVRKLL
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:23:43 pm »

Hey man, I like your work. It seems like you have a basic understanding of brush detail and lighting.

However, it seems like you are currently involved with OP2, is this true? Or did you just freelance some work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:30:06 pm by Sean [Baron] »

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:33:03 pm »

Hello, welcome to the forums, nice to meet you.

Your levels screenshots are a bit dark, aside from the Opposing Force 2 screenshots, and I know from a design standpoint that is obviously the direction you were going for but from a application stand point it's hard for us to see the brushwork detailing, and the overall layout and design of the map itself. From the screenshots themselves, you seem to have a good understanding of lighting, and creating an atmosphere.

Nevertheless, good application and nice level designing. Stick around for our Lead Level Designer to give some input.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

OVRKLL

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • OVRKLL has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:13:38 pm »

Hey man, I like your work. It seems like you have a basic understanding of brush detail and lighting.
However, it seems like you are currently involved with OP2, is this true? Or did you just freelance some work.

Hey, hey, and thanks. Well, originally, I was on the OpFor2 team, but as development seem to halt, I took a break. Now I'm doing some work on the mod, but as the other mappers appear to be rather inactive, I can hardly get anything done - which is why I'm mainly on standby and assuming a sort of freelance position, as you suggested.

Hello, welcome to the forums, nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too :)
Yes, I admit the screenshots are a bit too dark to represent my maps properly, but, as you've may have noticed, I'm focusing on interiors and the sewer happens to be my favorite scenario; thus, most of my maps are bathed in darkness.
If you want to see the details of the maps in a brighter environment, I suggest you download the files, set fire to the console, and bring up the flashlight - or just play the maps as they are; the shadowy environments are clearer during gameplay than on screenshots.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:15:22 pm by OVRKLL »

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »

Looks like a solid grounding in brushwork to me. The strong contrast in lighting can be put on the ambiance of the game. Plus it's one of the more professional applications we've seen lately. He's got my vote.
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 02:40:11 am »

Hey OVRKLL,

Nice application, this is a good template for anyone talented out there and interested, to follow. Since you've gotten a yes from Loafie, just waiting on confirmation from Fourtecks or fonfa. Hang in there they will cruise by tonight sometime or asap.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:48:41 am »

Nothing stands out to me in your screenshots, as the geometry seems very primitive and the lighting very dark. However, you do seem to have some knowledge in basic level design for the Source Engine, and your application comes out more professional than some of the applicants we have seen as Loafie pointed out. I am going to bump you to trial so you can try your hand at some 'goldeneye mapping'. Please make a thread in the Trial Boards and I will give you something to work on.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:50:36 am by Mike [fourtecks] »
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:57:38 am »

Thats his way of saying ya got potential

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:42:23 am »

application locked

Pages: [1]   Go Up