GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:11:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Banning  (Read 6560 times)

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: Recent Banning
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:46 pm »

The fact that you think that someone making you angry over a simple accusation is grounds for a ban...is pretty bad.  Whenever i get accused of cheating, which happens on occasion, i simply explain to the person the methods i use to boost my chances of success, and they usually go along with it.  People don't like loosing, and when they're confused as to how it is happening they simply assume that something illegitimate is in play, so showing them that you in fact have the same tools they do will dispel most animousity related to the matter.

Yeah, they still won't like loosing and might hold onto their suspicions, but there isn't much that they can say after you show them that wallhacking in this game is called a radar, and it's at the bottom of their screen.

Banning someone does the exact opposite, it tells them that you have something to hide and want to keep them quiet about it.  I'm confident that you don't hack, but a gesture like that one would certainly do the opposite of what you claimed it would.  people do not "cool down" after such an act, they feel cheated and abused, as this fellow's post has shown us.  (Though i'm compelled to say that insulting him isn't helping your case, RYCK)

Of course no-one would talk about you afterwards, since, you know, they don't want to get banned too.

Anyway, i get that you're upset that no-one will accept that you can beat them, but all you need to do is show them that it really isn't so hard to do well in this game, and explain to them the tools they have available.  As long as you understand that, i don't see the need for further exchange.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »

There's a simple solution to this problem.  BigBird needs to stop cheating.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

terps4life90

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »

Perhaps I can clarify some things up. Your story left out some fairly critical parts. I would estimate about 8 people in that game were accusing me of cheating. RYCKroll insisted I cheated and just simply put "WNx" in front of my name to pass off as a member. He did the same so I banned him for 10 minutes to prove a point.

Most people calmed down after that, but there are still the various accusations of rampant cheating and exploitations.

The point is, there are no cheaters in this game, and the ban I placed on him was completely justifiable.

Most new people will always accuse you of cheating...even I did at one point. Banning a new player only makes them not want to play ever again, ruining the chance of having a good player base. Yes, I get he was being ignorant and all that but by now you should be able to handle it with either a mute or just simply ignore that player.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »

Of course no-one would talk about you afterwards, since, you know, they don't want to get banned too.

That makes sense and is the way I'd see it as well, yet - just for comparison - banning for (only) clantag abuse is pretty common in CS or other games. Of course you can wear a clan's tag if you're not in it - but you're not supposed to. Yet there's also a nickchange command for the amx mod which might be used http://wiki.amxmodx.org/Commands_(AMX_Mod_X) and I think there should be a way to have some logic check for the player's Steam ID, so everyone that isn't listed somewhere as a clan member gets their nick changed automatically.
Anyway, i get that you're upset that no-one will accept that you can beat them, but all you need to do is show them that it really isn't so hard to do well in this game, and explain to them the tools they have available.  As long as you understand that, i don't see the need for further exchange.

Alas, explaining the tools available doesn't help that often. Once you tell them they can aim by pressing the shift-key,  they'll use it all the time (since being used to other fps) and be killed by people not using it. When you point people to the minimap, their attention fades from the gameplay and they'll also be killed. The best solution would be something along the lines of ringing on someones door, saying "hi, I'm >playername< from >clan< and I'm going to show you how to be good at GE: S right here on your own computer - watch and learn". That would surely help people to understand that - in most cases, maybe there is an occassional cheater out there that just got the game and sucks so he wants to be "good" for once - there is no cheating going on. But that's not something that can be done anyway, so as a youtube link was posted before, how about this:
would anyone who is generally considered good at the game do a video which shows his normal gameplay ? The video shouldn't be only killstreaks and cut off right before you die yourself, but rather just a normal round with a common weaponset on a normal map (->not cradle) and maybe it could pause in some crucial moments pointing out important factors for decisionmaking (e.g. what to do if you're surrounded, which player to kill first under certain circumstances). I think that'd be more helpful as plain old telling them what to do or watching "random frag video x by player y" (no offense whoever posted one).

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »

We don't use AMX mod.  SM does have sm_rename but since the orange box update, it no longer works.  The reason being is your ingame name is linked to your steam name.  If WNx wants to go the route to prevent players from using their tag, then this is what they want:

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=1368703&postcount=116

Full thread: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=80020
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:53:18 pm by Troy »
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up