GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:59:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer Qualifications?  (Read 7881 times)

AntixGaming

Level Designer Qualifications?
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:08 pm »

What exactly are you looking for when you say "Level Designer"?

Are you just looking for people to make concepts, or are you looking for people who actually create the level in 3D?

It would be nice to know what you are looking for. I mean i have a creative mind and all, i make maps on WC3 Frozen Throne and they seem to hit it off well, but i have no experience in 3D design.

Anything you are looking for in specific?

-AntixGaming

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: Level Designer Qualifications?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:37 pm »

Both of what you said.  You have to be able to design a new version of GE64 levels, and some need significant changes to be made into multiplayer maps that can hold more than 4 people.  You need to have source engine experience, and have a portfolio or previous work to show so that we can see that you can design a level that takes gameplay into account, and also that you have a good grasp of technical skills necessary to make a quality source map. 

So having good design skills is a good start, but you need to have demonstrable experience making maps for the source engine. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

AntixGaming

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »

ok. thank you.
i mean i have hammer so i can make source maps and all, but im kinda new to it. i mean ive made like 3 maps but i didnt use things like HDR Lighting or anything.
i didnt use custom skins/templates/terrain or whatever you want to call them.
but ill make some samples with HDR and some other things and ill post them in another post.

thanks for your answer.
-AntixGaming

:EDIT: Question... Is this a job in which you get paid, or no?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:11:42 am by AntixGaming »

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:17:38 am »

Pretty much speaking we are no longer looking for level designers, as posted in http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,1902.0.html.

If we did you would have to be really self-sufficient and basically need nothing from us. We currently don't have the manpower to crank out assets such as props/texture for any more people. However if you are able to create your own assets for your level, have a stong understanding of getting things compiled into the source engine, then yea feel free to apply if you can impress us.

When I first started out doing this I developed all these skills because of these limitations we have always had on this team, so now I mainly do everything on my own when it comes to my levels.

No, this is a non-paid job. It's for the love of the original game, to develop your skills, and perhaps fill your portfolio.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Fastmover

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »

I would be more than happy to help contribute to this mod with level designs and maps.  I've made a few maps in the previous version of half-life with worldcraft & Hammer.  I've not released any source maps with hammer, but have played with it for years.  I'd be more than happy to contribute anything I can to this mod.
~Fasty
Pages: [1]   Go Up