GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 12:03:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options Not Appearing on Main Menu/Cannot Find Servers  (Read 5058 times)

Starwind Amada

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Starwind Amada has no influence.
Options Not Appearing on Main Menu/Cannot Find Servers
« on: November 13, 2010, 03:07:38 am »

Today I was playing GE:S just fine. Some time later, I quit the game. Later, when I went back to play again, the main menu came up with the image of the gun, but the options weren't there. I could still click on them, I just couldn't see them and when I clicked on "Find Servers" it just made the bell sound (indicating an error). All of a sudden it can't find any servers. It refuses to even work. Now I can't play the game? What do I do?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Options Not Appearing on Main Menu/Cannot Find Servers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:23:32 am »

try putting -novid in your launch options.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Starwind Amada

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:27:01 am »

Didn't help, and I like seeing the gunbarrel.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:01:42 am »

Do you have any other source games to test? maybe something got corrupted. Could always try reinstalling the mod.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:40:59 pm »

Sounds like two different problems rather than one. As for the menu buttons, all I can suggest is making sure your video drivers are all up to date.

For the servers, try unchecking 'show map list' and then doing a full refresh. Make sure you don't have any firewalls or anything like that blocking access for hl2.exe
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Starwind Amada

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »

The strange thing is, it was  fine earlier in the day and then all of a sudden it went haywire. All I can do is walk around maps alone for a whole match. WTF

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »

The strange thing is, it was  fine earlier in the day and then all of a sudden it went haywire. All I can do is walk around maps alone for a whole match. WTF

Things don't just magically break. You are not telling us the entire story. Reinstall the mod AND source sdk base 2007.

Can you see servers in the external server browser (through steam)?

blaze9

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »

I'm having the same issue. And Killer, maybe it's writing something in the config file that's messing with the menu not showing up. There are many ways something can "magically" break.

Here's my "full" story.

Downloaded the required things. Installed, even played a few games. I quit and came back a few mins later, and I can't see the menu options at all. I can hear a sound when I hover over where they're supposed to be, I just can't see the text. It's like they are there, but just invisible.

kluge

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:54:43 am »

I ran into this same problem.  Opened & closed Goldeneye multiple times, played matches, etc, with no problem.  Opened it again today and had no menus.

Searched for this problem and found https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1974-YFKL-4947

Seems like this is a Steam/Source engine level issue possibly.

To fix it, I tried to rename winui.gcf, and realized I couldn't because I had a zombie hl2.exe process.  I killed the process and everything worked again.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:16 am »

Searched for this problem and found https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1974-YFKL-4947

Seems like this is a Steam/Source engine level issue possibly.

To fix it, I tried to rename winui.gcf, and realized I couldn't because I had a zombie hl2.exe process.  I killed the process and everything worked again.

Good job, man. Love to see people research AND comeback and help others!

kluge

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:36 pm »

No problem.  I've done my fair share of work on open source projects so I know how frustrating hard-to-reproduce bug reports can be.  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up