GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:38:09 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level designer - Andy Gagnon  (Read 7932 times)

evofender

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • evofender has no influence.
Level designer - Andy Gagnon
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:14 am »

Hi, my name is Andy Gagnon and I'm a graduate level designer from Ubisoft Campus (Montreal). I'm looking for a great challenge to stay in touch with level design. I have an excellent knowledge of Valve Hammer Editor and I can deliver a high level of polish to my levels.

Relevant experience
My biggest game development experience was for a Half-Life 2 (total conversion) single player mod called "L'Arche" in which I designed the 4th level. I worked in a team of 23 level designers, 24 3D Artists and 22 3D animators. All props, models, textures and animation were made by our team. We used a similar workflow to industry standards (Ubisoft Workflow). I have a great knowledge of game developement process.

"L'Arche" synopsis
"L'Arche" is a post-apocalyptic game made of 23 levels with a total lifespan of 6 hours. In 2010, Gabriel accepted to be part of a cryopreservation experimentation. He wakes up 100 years later, but everything has changed. The city has become a jungle and it looks like there's no human survivors. Gabriel has to find out what happened and find a girl he met before all this happened.

My work in "L'Arche"
I designed a level happening in the Old Port of Montreal. The player has to pass through an abandonned cruise ship to reach the other side of the port. The main challenge was to recreate a closed environment with natural lighting without having too muck dark areas. I had to create a skybox of Montreal around the Old Port to make it more immersive. When you are in the boat, you can see where you were(previous level) and where your going(next level). I had to create a whole ambiance inside the ship with ambient and triggered sounds and events. I also scripted AI reactions in some combat. I had to think about visual cues to help the player to progress well in the level. I also designed some environment puzzles where the players has to look at his environment to find a way out of the ship.

Software Knowledge
  • Valve Hammer Editor, Unreal Editor, Unity, Game Maker
  • Adobe Master Collection CS4(Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After FX, Flash, Dreamweaver, Soundbooth)
  • 3DS Max, Carrara Pro 7, SketchUp

I can model and texture simple props.

Level Design work
"L'arche" demoreel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5ZR8UxRX4&feature=player_embedded
"L'Arche" level description(In french only, working on the english version): http://agagnon.com/arche.htm

Other related work in attachment
You can join me by writing at agagnonprods@gmail.com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:03:09 pm by evofender »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Level designer - Andy Gagnon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »

I just watched your vid and it's looking quite impressive, I gotta say. :-)

"L'Arche" level description(In french only, working on the english version): http://agagnon.com/arche.htm
The translation would be:

Level: 4 of 23
Genre: First-person shooter
Difficulty: easy
Emotions researched: Insecurity / Claustrophobia / Pressure
Duration of the project: 12 weeks

Requirement:
1) Create a level with a playtime of about 5 minutes.
2) Introduce the crossbow (weapon).
3) Create an original level based on a post-apocalyptical Montréal .

Description
The level takes place on a cruiser ran ashore at the old port of Montréal. The player shall cross over by ship in order to rejoin l'arbre rouge (the red tree) visible from afar.

Intentions gameplay
To take the player by surprise by confronting him with assaults and other unexpected events. Likewise the player will have to make use of his crossbow to interact with the environment. Also he shall play with the water levels to reach areas that were inaccessible before.

Architecture
The architecture is inspired by modern cruisers.
Therefore it's important to give the player significant points (rooms, sections of promenades, etc.) to seek out so the dimensions of the areas convey this effect. The level offers much vertical circulation up to the point where linearity is broken.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:11:22 pm by coolDisguise »

evofender

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »

Thank you very much for the translation! It was so late when I wrote this last night that I didn't even think about doing one! And Thank you for the comment, I really appreciate!  :)

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:31 pm »

All I have to say is: wooooow! your video and your drafts look great. I hope you could join the team soon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:43:58 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »

The design itself as a level seems pretty interesting, but almost all of the lighting and brushwork looks like a 1990s HL1 map (specifically the inside portions, and especially the theatre and the elevator). It reminds me a lot of Sven Co-op. The outside looked nice though, but of course it was filled with art assets and was lit with a single light.

Do you have any props or textures you could show us? We're kinda full on the level design team, but we could always use prop/texture artists.

Don't take my opinions as how well you'd do for a trial though, wait for a lead developer to come by and tell you what's up.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:17:59 pm by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

evofender

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »

@The Cy: thanks a lot for the comment. I really appreciate!

@The SSL: i know for the glitches. It was still a work in progress when I shot this video and I didnt received the hard copy. My artist left me during the project, so i had to take care of a lot of thing alone including textures, sound design and lighting. It was a really big project.

Im really interested by joining your team because I liked this project since i heard of it.

I can model simple props and im pretty good in texturing, but I studied advanced level design at Ubisoft Campus, that's why I would like to be a level designer for GES.

Thanks for the comment  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:02:51 am by evofender »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:38 am »

Hey, thank you for applying for the level design team. I think you have the potential to become a great level designer. However your brushwork and lighting do need some refinement. I would be willing to give you a trial assuming 4tex is cool with it.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

evofender

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:44:05 pm »

Thank you very much! I hope he'll be cool with it :P

I know for the brushwork, but a lot of these brush were supposed to be replaced by models. My artist left me during the project.

When you apply for a level designer job in companies like Ubisoft, EA and Eidos-Square Enix, they are looking for gameplay more than art, that's why my lead level designer told me to leave all arts to my 3D artists, so i didn't have the control of it. I had to do last minute textures to fill my level. My demoreel only shows some of my best parts of gameplay and scripted events. It doesn't show all the level.

During this project, I worked with several LDs from commercial projects like Splinter Cell Conviction, Assassin's Creed 2 and Avatar: The Game. They were hired to help us and teach us level design techniques and tips. I am open for constructive criticism and I think it's essential to be a good level designer.

It would be great to work on GES! It's a really interesting project and I would like to do something for it! :)

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:56 am »

you've got a really good attitude, and sounds like strong work ethic which i think are your most important assets.

sharp will get you something to do go ahead and make a new thread in the trial members section.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

evofender

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:17 pm »

Thank you ! I'll do that and I can't wait to start working!

terps4life90

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 03:54:11 am »

What turrets are you referring to? the ones that were on the ceiling in that one area?

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:16:54 am »

Yes, near the body armor.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 04:32:32 am »

Is it just me or did this get merged with the "I want turret guns in bunker" thread?

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 06:12:15 am »

You're right, not sure who mentioned turrets after terps4lyfe90, weird... Should probably stop bumping this thread since it's just an application though. Post in the correct thread terps to save further confusion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:14:39 am by Proxie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up