GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:16:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory: Beta 4.1 Nuggets  (Read 16556 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory: Beta 4.1 Nuggets
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:36 am »

ITT: Little things I'm doing for the point update.

1) The Living Daylights.

One problem in teamplay was people not noticing the balance of flag possession.  So this will now be displayed on the HUD so you can tell at a glance how quickly your team is gaining or losing ground, and what proportion of enemies are carriers or warriors.

After action report as a multitexture? wtf mang
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: VC's Laboratory: Beta 4.1 Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:38:46 am »

2) Live and Let Die

The overhead progress bar is now enabled for Live and Let Die, hinting at how many players remain in the round.  Its color reflects whether or not the Golden Gun is held.  For detailed stats, the scoreboard now highlights the Baron, AuG-holder, and who is eliminated or was in after the lock.

"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:20:12 am »

wtf mang indeed.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:40:11 pm »

Nice, finally no more people asking "who is Baron atm?" and stuff because they are too lazy or whatever to check the scoreboard and READ it.

I really like the idea of coloring it. Simple, but useful.

Will there be an option to hide those bars you just put in?
It's just... I don't think I'll need them and therefore they'd
only be blocking my sight, reminding me of WoW and 10k+ addons for raids.
Just kidding, it actually was 3, but yet they filled almost all of my screen
and there was just a tiny spot for me to look through all the bars/timers so I could see what was going on.

Back on topic: an option to turn them on/off even if it's just via console would be appreciated.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »

Agreed with CD..

CVAR would do the job but i think a menu option would be better because you could cite how to turn it off in the scenario instructions.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:09 pm »

No, because the bars are triggered on all clients as a whole.  I will hear suggestions on placement, are they a little too low?

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »

Well, they're very long and very central and therefore obscure the most important part of the screen.
Since they only provide additional but not essential information I'd shorten them and move them to the sides (like the team point counter for MI6 and Janus, which in contrary, provides more important information).

Maybe it's even better having at least the remaing players count as a number (colored golden if someone has the AuG).

As you said they are triggered as a whole, you meant the point counters (when holding a flag) and the new ones, resp. Samedi's voodoo gauge and the player count are displayed "all or nothing"?
A possible solution would be - if you considered it - having the new bars triggered, but with the option of being invisible. (e.g. their lenghts set to 0)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:48:51 pm by coolDisguise »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

I'm not a big fan of the bars. I understand they're a stand-in, but they're butt-ugly. I think you could place them either side of the radar in a verticle positions since that is quite redundant space.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

It is not a trivial matter to say "show this bar not that bar because I am picky". This, in my opinion, is essential gameplay information. It also draws you into and makes you aware of the gameplay happening around you. For that reason alone, the bars are staying.

They are not ugly, they are functional. They don't have stupid frills around them and dead space, it is pure information, and thats the way they will remain.

A vertical option is in the works, but I have to recode the bar (Valve does not supply a vertical bar...)

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »

I definately want to go vertical with the Living Daylights bars, either moving them to the bottom with their friends, or to the right, allowing overlap with epic item gets.

For L&LD, I'm still thinking.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »

They are not ugly, they are functional. They don't have stupid frills around them and dead space, it is pure information, and thats the way they will remain.

It would be nice if they could in some way match the 'style' of the health/armor display. The bars are functional, but there's a stark contrast between them and what I would call the polished HUD elements like the radar and scoreboard.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:16:04 pm »

It is not a trivial matter to say "show this bar not that bar because I am picky". This, in my opinion, is essential gameplay information. It also draws you into and makes you aware of the gameplay happening around you. For that reason alone, the bars are staying.

A vertical option is in the works, but I have to recode the bar (Valve does not supply a vertical bar...)

I understand it's not that easy making the player select EVERY bar he/she wants to see/not to see, it was just about the new ones.
Maybe it will look better if they are vertical and on the sides - I'm just going to see what you'll do with it.
May I bet you'll have players running around and having no clue what to do nevertheless? :p
Basically because there are too many people who just played CS or CoD prior to GE: S, so they're not all that used to reading and thinking, but only shooting it seems. Often people play L&LD mode and are too lazy to press X, playing it like deathmatch or camping with the AuG and wondering why they can't respawn when Samedi gets them - it's sad.

Another thing, though offtopic, I thought I might just mention along with it: will there be achievements encouraging the newer game modes?
So far it's only these 2 YOLT achievements and some that encourage MWGG (Scaramanga's pride/Shaken but not disturbed) and LTK (Shaken but not disturbed).
It would be nice to have some for L&LD and Living Daylights as well, as there were some ideas floating around in the Beta 4 achievement thread, at least for L&LD.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »

Repositioned bars in LD, switched bar for a numeric display in L&LD.

Rudimentary achievement support should be in the code by now, but we haven't started any implementation yet, as far as I know.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:14 pm »

Well, it's looking good! :-)
So I'd be happy with that (position and size).
I guess the radar starts like half a bar on the right of those.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 11:31:49 pm »

It depends on your aspect ratio.  I can't attach them to the mini-scorecard because Valve.  So on a 4:3, they'll butt up against it tightly. On widescreen it will be spaced further from it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up