GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:10:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aiming mode and PP7 adjustments  (Read 11725 times)

Rat-ccgy-

Aiming mode and PP7 adjustments
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:48:02 am »

Hey guys,

I really love this mod. I talk to a few of the BTs and Devs on steam, CCsaint10 and Major. I Gave some suggestions to Saint and he told me they were really good ideas and to post them on here. Now I go to Full Sail University here in florida for Game art and animation. and would love to contribute to the best mod of HL2 ever. so, I noticed your PP7 model is a tad to far to the right, it doesnt really sit on the screen the same way the other weapons do. I would suggest bringing it over to the left a bit, rotate the back of the weapon to the left that is. So that it is more in line with the way the rest of the guns look when equipped.

another thing, the Aiming mode is wonderful (shift) but I don't believe players should be able to move while aiming, even slowly. it is being exploited as a cross hair all to often when I spectate. I would suggest making the player stand still while aiming with shift. this would be true to the original more so then letting the player walk and aim at the same time. I realize that there is no auto aim in the game and that letting the player move is logical, but any PC gamer knows where the center of the screen is haha.

Thanks for your time guys, and keep up the wonderful work. If you ever need a hand with models or animation, I would test myself in trying.

Michael Pitcher Aka. Rat-ccgy-

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: Aiming mode and PP7 adjustments
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:09:33 am »

Thanks man for posting this. We will see what they have to say as I find them to be fairly reasonable topics to talk about. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:18:33 am »

I also think you should be able to lean around corners as well, like in the original GoldenEye. Probably through the use of the Q and E keys like in Soldier of Fortune.

I know I've said this many times before, and I hate sounding like a broken record, but A Free Moveable Crosshair like in the original GE and SMOD would be awesome.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:19:11 am »

I know I've said this many times before, and I hate sounding like a broken record, but A Free Moveable Crosshair like in the original GE and SMOD would be awesome.

It would be awesome, but I remember Killermonkey saying that he couldn't do it for GE:S. Not really sure what the reasoning was but it wasn't possible.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:12:09 am »

GE64's gameplay was made for controllers, as we all know most ppl on GES using mouse+Keyboard.
So things which worked in the original game, might not work in GES.
You're allready a cheap target when aiming, there's no point in making aiming even more unattractive.
Maybe, just maybe, it could be a serverside option like jumping enabled/disabled, so if someone wants to host a real classic server, he would be able to make even this true to the original.

One thing which is worth thinking about is to disable the aiming when you're jumping, coz ppl using this to have the advantage of more accuracy without the drawback of beeing slow.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 02:52:48 pm »

One thing which is worth thinking about is to disable the aiming when you're jumping, coz ppl using this to have the advantage of more accuracy without the drawback of beeing slow.

Noted, this will be done

I also think a slower "aim-walk" is in order for B4, we shall try this out. Stopping entirely doesn't fit the pace of the mod at all and will make you an absolute sitting duck especially since Proper Aiming doesn't start until the crosshair appears on your screen, the zoom in time is not aimed.

Crosshair across the screen is "doable" but its a pain in the ass with moving the view model and also doesn't fit the pace of the mod. Stuff like that is more suited for single player when you pace your own movement through the game.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:41:47 am »

How the hell does it not fit the pace? As long as you can move, aim and turn at the same speed you can already, I don't see a problem. In fact, It could probably make aiming better...

I find such an Aiming mode works very good, if not better, for a Keyboard and Mouse scheme, even though the original GE was played on a controller.

Fuck, if only I knew how to work on HL2 Mods, I'd try to contribute and demonstrate how it would work.... :\ (I guess it would be like it is now, but on the press of the Aim key, it kinda goes into a mode like in Perfect Dark: Source until you let go of the key and your aim snaps back into the center.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:45:22 am by StrikerMan780 »

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:59:04 am »

Garry Newman (the insane genius behind Garry's Mod) made something similar to what I think you're talking about StrikerMan, in lua.

Is what you meant?

Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

CCsaint10

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 02:51:24 am »

Stopping entirely doesn't fit the pace of the mod at all and will make you an absolute sitting duck especially since Proper Aiming doesn't start until the crosshair appears on your screen, the zoom in time is not aimed.

Wait...what? When you hit the "r" button in goldeneye 64, you would completely stop when aimed...and then move when you weren't holding the aimer...wouldn't it make sense to do that in source?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 08:14:53 am »

As you can see in the video, there's no weapon on the screen.
It would be much harder to do this with a visible weapon.

Allthough it would be cool to have a wii-mote mod for GES (also working with this bounding box system), but only in singleplayer, if there will be one.

brex

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • brex has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00:37 pm »

Wait...what? When you hit the "r" button in goldeneye 64, you would completely stop when aimed...and then move when you weren't holding the aimer...wouldn't it make sense to do that in source?

What are you talking about??  :S
In GE64 you can move and hold down r you use c-left / c-right etc to move whilst holding r to aim

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 01:54:17 pm »

What are you talking about??  :S
In GE64 you can move and hold down r you use c-left / c-right etc to move whilst holding r to aim

Actually I thought you could only lean.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 04:07:36 pm »

Actually I thought you could only lean.

It was leaning. You just happened to put your whole body out, but it was still leaning.

Rat-ccgy-

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 05:27:11 pm »

wait, so there IS a singleplayer for this coming?! if so, will we ever get a taste of a beta SP? maybe like a demo. or is that a long way off. Anyway, im not as concerned with the aiming as I am with how the PP7 sits on the screen. i can handle the aiming options. but that weapon bothers me every time I take it out. I just suggest bringing the back end of the weapon left a little and leaving the front where it is, so that it wont look like the player is holding it so awkwardly. every other weapon sits different on the screen is all im saying.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 04:07:20 pm »

There is no definite YES for a SP campaign to be made for GE:S. From what I know this will not be decided until after the MP is finished, I personally find it unlikely.

I think aiming should stay as it is. If I had to stop every time I aimed I'd probably die trying every single time. The fact that this is on PC and not N64 means these sorts of things need to be changed for better gameplay... which has been said over, and over, and over. I do agree with no aim while jumping, though.

The idea of GE64 style aiming just doesn't seem like it would feel right at all. I think the current way of aiming works just fine.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

I think aiming should stay as it is. If I had to stop every time I aimed I'd probably die trying every single time. The fact that this is on PC and not N64 means these sorts of things need to be changed for better gameplay... which has been said over, and over, and over. I do agree with no aim while jumping, though.

The idea of GE64 style aiming just doesn't seem like it would feel right at all. I think the current way of aiming works just fine.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

CCsaint10

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 08:13:06 pm »

well, frankly I don't care either way it goes. :D Aiming is still aiming for me...and I never use the shift button hardly at all. But yeah, just for those people that didn't know, you can't move while holding R in 64..you can only lean. :D That is the only reason why it might have been reconsidered for this, but whatever. I frankly don't care. I think the PP7 being fixed might be a good suggestion though. It does lean too far to right.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:58 am »

Garry Newman (the insane genius behind Garry's Mod) made something similar to what I think you're talking about StrikerMan, in lua.

Is what you meant?

Pretty much. (Except have more of the "Feel" of how the crosshair and view moves with the mouse like PD:S, I don't like how the one in that video "Drifts" when you get closer to the screen edge until you center the crosshair again... PD:S Controls more like a normal PC FPS in that such a thing doesn't happen.)

Something like that would be awesome. If someone could pull off something like that in GES with a moving viewmodel, they would definitely get a cookie. (What exactly makes something so simple as moving a View Model, such a difficult thing to code, exactly? An explanation would be nice.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:33:21 am by StrikerMan780 »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

I'll pose your difficulty question with a series of questions:

Do you know matrix algebra?

Can you tell how to transform the local eular angles of the root bone of the view model to match the 2D position of your mouse aimer while still maintaining 3D orthogonality?

What is a "good" feel? How can we make it customizable to different players styles while still maintaining fairness?

It's a lot more complicated then you might imagine.

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:09 am »

My vote on N64 aiming: NO. That's meant for arcade shooting games with scripted movement!

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 12:00:04 am »

By your completely fail logic, The original GE shouldn't have even had it. GE wasn't an arcade light-gun shooter with scripted movement, and it was done phenomenally well.

CCsaint10

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 07:33:14 am »

I'll pose your difficulty question with a series of questions:

Can you tell how to transform the local eular angles of the root bone of the view model to match the 2D position of your mouse aimer while still maintaining 3D orthogonality?

Somebody grab me a gun.....wtf is an eular........I don't think I even understood a general root of that sentence...THANK GOD I AM A NURSE :D *raises stethoscope in the air* :)

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 02:52:15 am »

Somebody grab me a gun.....wtf is an eular........I don't think I even understood a general root of that sentence...THANK GOD I AM A NURSE :D *raises stethoscope in the air* :)
Dont worry about it its one of his 3 languages he speaks  English, gibberish and rubbish its up to you to decide which it is.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 04:36:44 am »

HAHA, in lamens it means rotating the view model properly so that it still looks like the gun is pointing in the right direction when you move the aiming crosshair across the screen.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »

Ray tracing.

It's a lot more complicated then you might imagine.
You can also decide to make it sound a lot more complicated to newbie than it actualy is :P

ThePlumb3r

• Agent
  • ThePlumb3r has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »

Honestly, I think aiming is fine just as it is.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:58 am »

Hear hear.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up