GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:49:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ge_basement_ssl  (Read 25349 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: ge_basement_ssl
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »

Screenie update:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3598/gebasementssl0008.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8500/gebasementssl0009.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7484/gebasementssl0010.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1411/gebasementssl0011.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2747/gebasementssl0012.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/634/gebasementssl0013.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6679/gebasementssl0014.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3533/gebasementssl0015.jpg

Map's been progressing a lot faster than I expected, all that's really left to do now is a some the lighting in the caves area and some other minor cleanups in the hallway.

For the music, I'm still trying to decide between the old "Goldeneye Overture" and the St. Petersburg Tank Chase music.

Let me know your opinions of the screenshots so far.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

This is starting to look less like a library basement, and more like an abandoned factory with fresh hotdogs lying around.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 12:45:49 am »

I think it looks sweet except for the pipes in the floor, thats why JcFerggy is getting that impression. If you are going to go with a "backdoor from the subway" kinda look then you can't call it a library. This should almost come off as the back room in a museum almost with lots of spider webbing, bookcases, exhibits, etc.

I still can't wait to frag in it, maybe just change the name? ge_sewers_ssl
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:29:25 pm by JcFerggy »

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 02:03:01 am »

Maybe an odd comment but those fold-up tables look sweet.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:18 am »

Oh God, maybe I went too far with the detail (Is that possible?). Heh. So I should remove the pipes below the floor then? I've been trying to put more emphasis on the place being a big storage room/maintenance area(went to a bunch of basements two weeks ago to pick up some references for the map, and all the basements had pipes), with crates and bookshelves everywhere (like below the floor in the 16 pillar room, in the hallway), an employee lounge, unfinished and dirty areas, etc. Basically an old building that's been uninhabited for a while.

As for exhibits, I'll try to look into that once I can consistently texture models properly. (I've got the rest figured out)

Until then, I'll Make some spider/cobweb textures to place in some of the corners.

I still can't wait to frag in it, maybe just change the name? ge_sewers_ssl

Of course not! That would defeat the whole purpose.

EDIT: Removing the pipes is actually a good thing for me, the sizing as well as lighting on the corner pipes wasn't working the way I wanted them too.

ANOTHER EDIT: Here's what it would look like without the pipes. Kinda plain IMO. Needs more stain decals or something, I don't know.

Any other opinions? The pipes are easy to delete; but putting them back in later would be a bit more tough and is something I want to avoid. (For the screenies I just retextured the top of the existing grates)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:44:27 am by The SSL »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:26 am »

If you are going to go with no pipes and no grate how about a well worn floor in the middle? so pretty ok looking tiles on the edges, but the middle (where everyone would have walked) is worn tiles, broken tiles, etc.

I agree its plain, but I think with a little texture love it will be glorious

btw, those small yellow pillar things are the most annoying things ever modeled because they get in the way during a firefight

Edit:
(SUGGESTION: If you haven't already done so, playerclip a ramp to the yellow things, wrap around them, and ramp out, then there is no way a player can get stuck in between them)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:37:12 pm by killermonkey »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 09:51:36 am »

If you got rid of the pillars KM mentioned, it'd be great. They do get in the way and can spoil your game. Besides that, the mapping looks great so far!

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 02:43:46 pm »

you could break up the floors symlicity by dropping the walkway part of the floor 8 units down

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 03:51:03 pm »

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/634/gebasementssl0013.jpg

This room doesn't sit well with me at all. The back wall is very bland, there is a random radiator sticking out of it. The foreground seems random, and the steps and grating are totally out of place.

Don't you love crits? (heart)

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 05:17:02 pm »

One thing I advise you to do, since I see some props, like chairs and other misc stuff, lying around is that you make them noclip or in some way pull the player away from them (I don't know the exact term for this...) in order to avoid any problems, like player clipping, which can ruin your game. Or minimize the number of props to the least possible, while retaining the look of an old and semi-abandoned library basement.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:29 pm »

Removed the pipes, and it looks a lot better. I created a custom alpha blend texture so that I can randomly mix in dirt on the lower tile here and there, as well as added some arrow overlays. (A bit tricky to see because of the dark map)

Then in the office, I removed the grates, moved the radiator, and added some fun colorful bookshelves (Those are quickly becoming my new favorite prop).

And PPK, the term you're looking for is "nocolliding" (Or at least that's what I call it). about 99% of the props are nocollided (The few exceptions being the cart and barrels in the sewer room).

Oh yeah, and I playerclipped the yellow poles too. Look for some cave shots later.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:35:28 pm by The SSL »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:53 am »

FUCKING HOT

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 02:02:11 am »

haha told you that lowering that floor would be awesome! Personally i think the angle from the drop sould be 45degrees. Lighting is alright, I think you should make it a little deeper yellow (orange) and vary it in each hallway. Try to light up that ceiling, alot of detail goes into it, dont let it go unnoticed ;)

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 07:11:45 am »

THAT'S SEXY!! YOU DA MAN SSL!

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 04:16:59 pm »

This is looking better and better with each update.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up