GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 04:40:15 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: And we have hats  (Read 28397 times)

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
Re: And we have hats
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 02:16:46 am »

So what you're saying is is if hats are implemented, you will have the option of applying it to your character before the match, regardless of who it is?

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 02:20:27 am »

No that is not the case. What i was trying to say is that there is only one model per character still and the hat is just a prop thats applied to it. The hats (when available) will automatically be spawned on the characters.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 02:24:50 am »

So would it be something like a server option that spawns hats on all characters? Not necessarily selecting your character with it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:28:18 am by Storm101 »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 02:49:11 am »

you see why I add disclaimers to these features, there are so many BS things attached to the simplest things, just don't worry about it, if it is implemented it will be put in logically and not in your face.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:51 am »

here's a little insight on why making a mod takes so gad dam long lol. and this is just adding hats to characters haha.

we cant just hit the add hats button to each individual character.if i makes beta 3 its cause monkey has to much time on his hands, and not enough bugs to kill. which i doubt will happen with this next round of UBER testing and polish.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Storm101

• 00 Agent
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 03:50:21 am »

Yeah, I'm starting to have a new appreciation on how hard it must be to make a game or mod... I trust that you guys will do the best you can under the given circumstances.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 04:07:41 am »

Well adding the hats might be easy then you have to add a selection menu to the character menu, so that might be the thing that would take longer... If they had 2 versions, I think one with a hat would be easier and just as good.

Wow there was a page 2..... damn hats getting a little to much attention.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:10:40 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 04:38:50 am »

Hey, hats are pretty awesome, but I don't see why people need to be able to choose whether or not to wear a hat. It's just beta, and there's more important things to worry about. I think the video was meant to be more of a "hey, look at this cool thing we did", rather than the start of a "what to do with hats" debate.

Cool stuff, though. Hopefully there's no serious problems, and you can fit it into Beta 3.

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 05:51:01 am »

Simple Answer: Hats will only be on the characters whom wore them in the original (Oddjob, Ouromov, etc), and will be on the model when you spawn already. There will be no option to remove them.

The reason we didn't have hats in the first place is, we weren't able to shoot the hats off, like the video shows how you can [now]. It would of looked bad before when someone died and the had stayed put.

However, like we have said. Don't get your hopes up that this feature will be in Beta 3. We have other things that are more important than, the ability to shoot someones hat off, or to have the hat apart of the model.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 10:12:02 am »

bklax, i knew it was coming, i didn't know when it would happen, or what it would do but i knew it was coming.

VC found a uber lame bug for the hats today

Apparently the hat is jamming the model into one pitch angle. If the player looks upwards or downwards, the hitboxes move but the hat prevents the model from bending.  As soon as the hat comes off, the model returns to the hitbox positions.

I also had better never find a way to use a hat to block a headshot.  That may have been lolz in 1P, but in multiplayer all that means is only noobs play without a helmeted character.

for anyone interested in perusing game development as a hobby or career just know, that what ever thing you add to your game, will break something else you already had in it. so you then have to fix the old thing to make the new thing work. and when you get to the home stretch of a games development you have this hacked together thing that's just barely holding itself together.

this is a little insight to just one tiny little feature of the games development. this is one that doesn't even require a discussion on design its only implementation. so there you have it bklax this is the thing you were missing hehe.

Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:19:16 am »

This is known and we are working on it. Still not fully done.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 10:07:49 pm »

OK folks, I fixed the hats once and for all. The previous method we were using to attach them to the player's head was causing severe conflicts with the world around him. Again, I stress the reason why I put disclaimers on features. Even the "easiest" feature can have dramatic impacts on everything! Here is a picture to demonstrate how it works:

Player's with hats will have two different sets of hit boxes, one with the hat hitbox and one without. When they own a hat, the hat hitbox gets activated and if a hit is registered in that hitbox OR the head, the hat will pop off.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 10:14:02 pm »

This makes hats convey information. If you see men without hats, they may be wounded. Or they may be AC-10 hos and you'll come at them thinkin' you're all big and bad and get smoked.

Idea for an achivement:

Bowling Night.  Knock twelve bowler hats from the heads of enemy players in one round.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:16:17 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 10:24:23 pm »

Not that this is the right topic, but what about this for an achievement:

Perfect Game - Shoot 300 hats off of people. Then the amount can increase if wanted.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »

That could be the second-level of Bowling Night. :D
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up