GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:34:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 7303 times)

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
Reflections
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:54:04 pm »

I noticed that the windows and other reflective materials in my level doesn't reflect anything at all. I did put an env_cubemap in front of all of them but still no reflections. For the reflective textures vmt files, I'm using this example:

"VertexLitGeneric"   OR   "LightmappedGeneric"
{
     "$basetexture" "Folder\NameOfTexture"
     "$surfaceprop" "material"
     "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
}

And for the windows, I guess I should check out the entity's func_breakable_surf settings.
Currently in Progress : ge_mi6 hq

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »

Did you build the cubemaps though? You need to go through the steps of building them for reflective surfaces to show up.
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:30 pm »

Did you build the cubemaps though? You need to go through the steps of building them for reflective surfaces to show up.
Oh! I didn't know that. Lol, Thanks.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:11:33 am »

You're very welcome

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:18 am »

Still doesn't work. I'm not sure what to choose from the cubemap size and I tried to directly attach the brushes to the cubemap but it doesn't seem to work.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:11 am »

The only times I've done it, following Loafies example here ( http://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,3321.0.html  ) have worked fine. You need to put at least one env_cubemap per room for it to work though, maybe more depending on how rooms are divided, I'm not sure. Anyway, this is what he said:

There's a lot of confusion about the correct way to compile cubemaps for HDR. Here's a quick rundown of commands to put in the developer console to get them quick, easy, and correctly.Enter these commands in this order:
buildcubemaps [This is to build cubemaps in HDR]
mat_hdr_level 0 [This sets your lighting to LDR only, but won't take effect until...]
map ge_yourmap [You need to reload your map, and using the map command will properly dis/reconnect you]
buildcubemaps [Build us some LDR cubemaps!]
mat_hdr_level 2 [Reset your HDR]
map ge_yourmap [Another disconnect and reload of your map to properly fire up HDR]

and presto, super sexy cubemaps! Hop to it!)

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »

The only times I've done it, following Loafies example here ( http://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,3321.0.html  ) have worked fine. You need to put at least one env_cubemap per room for it to work though, maybe more depending on how rooms are divided, I'm not sure. Anyway, this is what he said:

There's a lot of confusion about the correct way to compile cubemaps for HDR. Here's a quick rundown of commands to put in the developer console to get them quick, easy, and correctly.Enter these commands in this order:
buildcubemaps [This is to build cubemaps in HDR]
mat_hdr_level 0 [This sets your lighting to LDR only, but won't take effect until...]
map ge_yourmap [You need to reload your map, and using the map command will properly dis/reconnect you]
buildcubemaps [Build us some LDR cubemaps!]
mat_hdr_level 2 [Reset your HDR]
map ge_yourmap [Another disconnect and reload of your map to properly fire up HDR]

and presto, super sexy cubemaps! Hop to it!)
Thank you really much. Sorry to ask this question but, what is the delevoper's console ??

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

The developer console lets you type in commands. It's accessed with the ~ key. You might need to enable it by going to
 options->keyboard->advanced->Enable developer console

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:11 pm »

The developer console lets you type in commands. It's accessed with the ~ key. You might need to enable it by going to
 options->keyboard->advanced->Enable developer console
I enabled it but nothing happens when I press the "~" key. I tried writting it into the chat box too but still nothing. I might look retarded but I really need precise informations lol.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »

Check to see if the key is bound, if you haven't already.

terps4life90

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:59 pm »

I too, want to know what this "developer console" is....(shifty eyes) LOL!

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:27 pm »

I too, want to know what this "developer console" is....(shifty eyes) LOL!
Yeah. That's so funny.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:20 pm »

If you wanna use func_breakable_surf you also should use one of the default breakable surf materials for it, otherwise you might end up with very strange results.
Building a own (working) breakable_surf texture is somewhat more complicated and you might not even need to do that for your map, because in most cases you're just fine with the default ones.

As for the developer console, it never worked for me to enable it with the ingame option, i always use the -console command in the startup options.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 02:26:15 pm »

Nevermind guys, I even tried checking videos on youtube on how to do it and I just can't make it work. I'll just have no reflections in my map that's it, it's too damn complicated just for making your env_cubemaps work...

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »

Nevermind guys, I even tried checking videos on youtube on how to do it and I just can't make it work. I'll just have no reflections in my map that's it, it's too damn complicated just for making your env_cubemaps work...

its not that hard, even I can do it. ;-)  1. here´s how you can active your console in game: activate steam, go to your game list, right click on goldeneye 4.1, choose properties, click on "set launch options" and type -console and click "ok". this will show you your console when you`re starting the game. just let the console stay there. you can return to your console again in game by clicking esc.
2. for showing your cubemaps just try this out: create a simple brush and texture it with a reflective material, a marble texture for example. then put a cubemap next to it, as high as a player model. then compile your map with hdr enabled. when you´re in game, write buildcubemaps in command;. this should active your cubemaps. after that load your map again. and then you should see reflections on that brush.
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »

its not that hard, even I can do it. ;-)  1. here´s how you can active your console in game: activate steam, go to your game list, right click on goldeneye 4.1, choose properties, click on "set launch options" and type -console and click "ok". this will show you your console when you`re starting the game. just let the console stay there. you can return to your console again in game by clicking esc.
2. for showing your cubemaps just try this out: create a simple brush and texture it with a reflective material, a marble texture for example. then put a cubemap next to it, as high as a player model. then compile your map with hdr enabled. when you´re in game, write buildcubemaps in command;. this should active your cubemaps. after that load your map again. and then you should see reflections on that brush.
Thank you really really much Cy. Clear instructions, exactly what I needed. Thanks and thanks again.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up