GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 11:05:01 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main Menu ?  (Read 4472 times)

Browncow8

Main Menu ?
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:29 am »

When I start GES Beta 4 the main menu does not appear but I can hear the links as the cursor passes over them.  And if I click what i believe to be Join a Server or something like that, it just makes the noise it makes when you click any of the menu links but nothing happens.  What is wrong? or what am i doing wrong?  I uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing changed.

Browncow8

Re: Main Menu ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:32:30 am »

Actually I figured it out.  For some reason it was running off of SDK base 2006 not 2007.  So if anyone else has this problem just uninstall SDK base 2006

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:34:34 am »

Thanks for posting your solution - I've had the same problem yesterday when I changed the resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1080 (because of my new monitor). At first it worked but when I started GE: S again, the problem was there.

Kashito91

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kashito91 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:36:53 pm »

I have a different problem. When I boot up GE:S, the text and such for the menu appears, but no mouse cursor. When you pass over the menus and buttons and such, it acts like it would if your cursor was visible. What is going on here. Also, I can't uninstall SDK 2006, as it says it has files SDK 2007 needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated
FLASH! *BANG* AHHH AHHH!!!!!!! SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE!

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:27 pm »

To solve my problem I uninstalled both and then redownloaded/reinstalled the SDK 2007. Other than that I have no advice for you.

Kashito91

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:40:21 pm »

tried that, my mouse cursor STILL isn't showing up, even though the game runs perfectly. Is there ANYONE who's had this situation before?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 03:08:40 am »

Sounds like an error with your video drivers? Although HL2 doesn't use a hardware mouse... which then leads me to believe its your windows installation.

Do you experience this in any other source based game?

Kashito91

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:20:57 am »

sadly, yes. I just tried TF2, and no mouse cursor either. It's so annoying!
So, will I have to reinstall Windows?
I've already tried uninstalling, then reinstalling BOTH GE:S and SDK '07

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:01:08 am »

No, you shouldn't have to do anything that drastic, yet.

I need more information to help you:

Windows Version
Mouse Model # & Manufacturer
Video Card

The problem is clearly not with GES or the Source SDK so you can ignore that. The problem is an interaction between Valve's VGUI code and your mouse drivers/windows. It might even be more generic than that, or that you are running on unsupported hardware (which is why I need to know).

Kashito91

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »

Currently, I'm rubbing Windows 7 (64 bit), with a Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse combo. I'm not sure where the model number is due to bad eyesight. My Video card is an ATI Raedon HD 4770.
The weird thing is, is that a few days before, I could play this just fine, mouse cursor showing up and everything.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 07:43:24 pm »

You shoulda said that last part in your original post.....

What did you install / upgrade / change between then and now? Drivers, crazy software, etc?

Kashito91

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 03:26:35 am »

The only thing I can remotely think of doing in the last few days was upgrading my anti-virus. I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far. :-)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:30 am »

Make sure your mouse drivers are up to date. You might want to try another mouse if you have a non-wireless PS/2 socket mouse then it's worth trying that to try and narrow it down.

That's all I can suggest.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 03:45:00 am »

The mouse hardware would not cause loss of mouse pointer in certain applications. The drivers could, potentially, be your #1 reason though since they interact between hardware and windows. Although the mouse pointer itself is 100% driven by windows, the drivers just translate mouse data into screen position.

Anyway, I digress, I run Windows 7 (x64) and don't have any issues with mouse pointers in any game. Try upgrading your graphics drivers and mouse drivers. You might also try changing the mouse pointer set that is in use (never know) or disabling windows 7 special effects like mouse shadow or whatever.

Kashito91

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 12:38:31 am »

alright, just tried turn off the special effects and such. Still nothing. Also checked that everything is up to date. There are no current updates for my graphics card or my mouse as far as I could see. *sighs* this is really annoying me....
Pages: [1]   Go Up