GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:08:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D-Printed GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark Model Kits  (Read 11617 times)

L. Spiro

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!
3D-Printed GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark Model Kits
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:44:13 pm »

I mentioned in another topic I would have an announcement to make soon.
Make sure you were already sitting before you read the topic.

This is a 100% perfectly scaled Temple from GoldenEye 007.

This is just a prototype.  I could not clear out all of the scaffolding, and it is just intended to prove my process, my technologies, my concept, and the overall feasibility of it all, so ignore the mess.  The products I sell will have soluble scaffolding and this will not be an issue, plus I think this particular model does not need scaffolding at all and I am reprinting it.
But it stands as a proof-of-concept and introduction.

I was inspired by this:

Imagine getting a model kit that you can assemble with your kid(s) or alone, and the end result is:
  • A level from GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark large enough for you to play with figurines inside (your kids’ figures should fit nicely).
  • An actual track from Super Mario Kart or Mario Kart 64 with magnets and circuitry underneath to control getting items, shooting them etc., as you really race small remote-control cars around the track.
  • A playable physical 3D dungeon from The Legend of Zelda or The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (or etc.) with levers underneath, real keys inside treasure chests that unlock doors, etc.
  • Dioramas of stages from any 2D game.
  • Trinkets and collector’s items/simple things.
  • Terrariums in the shapes of your favorite stages.  Have your pet turtle/snake/frog/bird live inside a GoldenEye 007 level!
  • More!

Because these will be assembled, the scale can be of any size (I plan for single rooms to be as large as this whole prototype (cats shown for scale)).
But simple desktop items such as this will be available as well.

Once again, these will all be scaled perfectly; I do not eyeball measurements, as explained in my introductory post.
They will be multi-colored (my 5-color upgrade comes in February) using a combination of multi-colored plastic and paint.  Accurate stencils and stamps will be created to ensure that all paint jobs are also 100% accurate.
Model kits are planned to come with decals that you would apply to each wall as you construct the level.
Your end result (the important part) will be a stage from GoldenEye 007 (or whatever game), maybe 3 or 4 feet across, fully to scale, fully “textured” with decals, and with each area accessible (whether via an open top as I have done in parts of this prototype or via hinges that allow the whole model to close and open).

Have you ever wanted a life-sized low-poly Klobb that you can actually hold in your hand and is textured and as low-detailed as in the real game?

Also, these will not be only related to GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark.  You can get levels from Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, maybe a 3D Zelda level—I am basically always thinking about what would be cool/fun to have as a 3D print, so you can be sure my library will be expanding with even more cool ideas over time.

What does everyone think?
L. Spiro
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:30:00 am by L. Spiro »

Helios

• WNxSpectra
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!Helios is awe-inspiring!
    • Warrior Nation
Re: 3D-Printed GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark Model Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:43:23 am »

Wow this is pretty cool!

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:43:54 pm »

This is pretty cool. I am especially intrigued by the idea of 3D printing a Mario Kart track and running real remote cars on it with working add-ons for power-ups, etc. Really might be on to something there. Plus I'm sure collectors and fans would like to see the other games you mentioned.

L. Spiro

• Agent
  • L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:07:53 am »

The 2nd Temple print, without scaffolding, and more open spaces to see and play inside.  Perfect home for a garter snake!

I am expecting to let this go for around ~$75?
Any requests?  Any interest?

L. Spiro

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 04:29:30 pm »

Bunker!!

L. Spiro

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:59:38 pm »

That's awesome!

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:19 am »

Marble Basement!

L. Spiro

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:44:27 am »

I mentioned in another topic I would have an announcement to make soon.
Make sure you were already sitting before you read the topic.

This is a 100% perfectly scaled Temple from GoldenEye 007.

This is just a prototype.  I could not clear out all of the scaffolding, and it is just intended to prove my process, my technologies, my concept, and the overall feasibility of it all, so ignore the mess.  The products I sell will have soluble scaffolding and this will not be an issue, plus I think this particular model does not need scaffolding at all and I am reprinting it.
But it stands as a proof-of-concept and introduction.

I was inspired by this:

Imagine getting a model kit that you can assemble with your kid(s) or alone, and the end result is:
  • A level from GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark large enough for you to play with figurines inside (your kids’ figures should fit nicely).
  • An actual track from Super Mario Kart or Mario Kart 64 with magnets and circuitry underneath to control getting items, shooting them etc., as you really race small remote-control cars around the track.
  • A playable physical 3D dungeon from The Legend of Zelda or The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (or etc.) with levers underneath, real keys inside treasure chests that unlock doors, etc.
  • Dioramas of stages from any 2D game.
  • Trinkets and collector’s items/simple things.
  • Terrariums in the shapes of your favorite stages.  Have your pet turtle/snake/frog/bird live inside a GoldenEye 007 level!
  • More!

Because these will be assembled, the scale can be of any size (I plan for single rooms to be as large as this whole prototype (cats shown for scale)).
But simple desktop items such as this will be available as well.

Once again, these will all be scaled perfectly; I do not eyeball measurements, as explained in my introductory post.
They will be multi-colored (my 5-color upgrade comes in February) using a combination of multi-colored plastic and paint.  Accurate stencils and stamps will be created to ensure that all paint jobs are also 100% accurate.
Model kits are planned to come with decals that you would apply to each wall as you construct the level.
Your end result (the important part) will be a stage from GoldenEye 007 (or whatever game), maybe 3 or 4 feet across, fully to scale, fully “textured” with decals, and with each area accessible (whether via an open top as I have done in parts of this prototype or via hinges that allow the whole model to close and open).

Have you ever wanted a life-sized low-poly Klobb that you can actually hold in your hand and is textured and as low-detailed as in the real game?

Also, these will not be only related to GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark.  You can get levels from Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, maybe a 3D Zelda level—I am basically always thinking about what would be cool/fun to have as a 3D print, so you can be sure my library will be expanding with even more cool ideas over time.

What does everyone think?
L. Spiro

Just curious, on average, how long does a 3D printed map, gun, etc. take?

L. Spiro

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:54:15 am »

I keep these prototypes between 17 (Basement) and 38 (Temple) hours, but a final product I would actually send to someone would likely take up to 4 days to print depending on the height of the level.  These are the first times these are ever being printed so I am of course using draft settings.
A gun would probably take the same amount of time since they would be life-sized.

L. Spiro
Pages: [1]   Go Up