GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:22:09 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View spinning around like crazy  (Read 5651 times)

chcameron

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • chcameron has no influence.
View spinning around like crazy
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:56:11 am »

Hey all, I played this game fine a day ago but today whenever I join a game my view starts spinning around without me even touching the mouse. I even tried disconnecting my mouse and the view still spins madly. I also don't seem to be able to move, but I can jump/crouch.

Here's a gfycat of what I am describing: https://gfycat.com/GregariousOpulentApe

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: View spinning around like crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »

Do you have a joystick? Is it stuck in a couch cushion?

chcameron

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:24:44 pm »

No and no.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:59:57 pm »

I'd try to delete user.cfg inside of the cfg folder in steamapps/sourcemods/gesource then start up the game again.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:36:14 pm »

that font rendering doesn't look right... are you running this in Wine? If so, we can't help you.

chcameron

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:30 pm »

Nope, Windows 10. Will try deleting the cfg and if that doesn't work, uninstall/reinstall.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 05:26:42 pm »

So far we have one other person with this issue and we've been running through some troubleshooting steps with them to no avail.

What we do know so far is this is a problem that's been in the Source engine for at least 9 years and has been present in past games such as Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and TF2.

There are possible ways to fix it that we can't test because Valve has removed certain capabilities from the Source SDK Base 2007.

We're still working to find a solution or work around for you.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

chcameron

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 06:26:06 pm »

I've managed to figure out what starts the spinning. It only starts when I hit any key on the keyboard. When I join a game if I stand still I can shoot and aim normally. The moment I touch any key on my keyboard it starts spinning me once I then move the mouse. It's almost as if the mouse becomes a joystick once a key is pressed and moving the curser away from wherever its "center" was at the keypress causes the view to look around. But if I move the mouse back to where it was I can slow it down, but it's obviously unplayable. I've tested multiple keyboards, same issue.

I hope there is a fix soon! :( Strange that it worked for a day or two and then just broke.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 06:31:54 pm »

Someone else had this issue too, they weren't able to fix it but they were able to play using a controller. I understand this isn't ideal at all.

It is an engine bug that we have no control over unfortunately, and has been in Valve's code since Counter Strike 1.6 at least. You can search for "spinning bug" in counter-strike and find the issue goes back as far as 1.6 and Half-Life.

We've been looking for the solution, and found there would normally be ways to fix/prevent it using console commands or launch parameters but Valve withholds some features and commands from Source SDK Base that could help (we have no clue why) and also broke launch parameters about a month ago.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VertigoRegurgito

• Agent
  • VertigoRegurgito has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:39:39 am »

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I'm experiencing this issue as well, and would be happy to help bugtrace, etc.

VR
Pages: [1]   Go Up