GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:43:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternate Aztec (Moonraker) music WIP  (Read 6652 times)

marinedalek

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.
Alternate Aztec (Moonraker) music WIP
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:00:02 am »

Strange thing happen to your mind at 1am. Today the strange thing was a thought popping into my head along the lines of "What would it sound like if the level music for Aztec was based on the Moonraker film score?". So here's a very rough early sketch of a track to go with Aztec.

I've aimed to make it both faithful to the Moonraker score, but also retain that "Goldeneyeness" that the other tracks have.

http://inciwho.co.uk/files/aztecredux.mp3

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Alternate Aztec (Moonraker) music WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:21:39 am »

Sounds very dark to me. I cannot recall the moonraker score right now, so i guess it was very dark, too.
For a GES multiplayer track it would be much to slow and i miss the aztec theme in there.

I guess it's just a WIP to get some crits on it. IMO you should go on and add some more aztec-ness in your track (at least the typical melody of this level).

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:08:02 pm »

TBH I don't hear the GE64 Aztec Theme at all.

HOWEVER, it has a sound very similar to an old Bond movie soundtrack, a small orchestra playing a slow and mysterious beat (I could imagine Connery sneaking around to a song like this).

You should speed up the track a bit, it's much too slow compared to the 120bpm the Goldeneye 64 tracks are based off.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:34:08 pm »

The track only seems slow because of the way it's phrased.  The first 8 measures are at 115bpm, and from measure 9 onward, it's at 140; the outer limits of the tempo range for the GE tracks.

As for the Aztec theme, he's using chords from the bridge that connects the A theme of the song, which becomes the main theme at 2:13 in the original track.  It sounds different because he's having the entire ensemble play it in unison, rather than just the strings.

Also, Roger Moore was in Moonraker. :P

I hope that clears things up.

Advice for Marine -

Try using the theme from :15 - :47 of the original track - I think it's the theme that both Kraid and SSL are talking about.  It'll be more recognizable to listeners as most people will probably remember the Aztec music before the Moonraker score. :P

Keep up the good work man!

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:26:25 am »

Actually, to be honest, it sounds like the beginning to statue....

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

marinedalek

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:20 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been busy with work. Thanks for all the responses, they've certainly given me a lot to think about! This wasn't intended to be a version of the Aztec music, more a "what if?" type piece based purely on the score from Moonraker.
If anyone wants to hear the particular piece from the film I based it on, it's here:
Also, I wanted to make a single-player track rather than multiplayer because they tend to be a bit frantic.

Thanks for the comments though, I'll keep working on it and report back when I've made some progress  :)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:40:51 am »

*whines*
I'm still lacking sound, so I can't sample it. T.T

~Edit
Listened to it at work.
Wish I could compare it to the theme you linked to, but "this video has been removed by the user".

Whatever it's supposed to be based on, what is there isn't bad, but it's way too WIP and simple to really have an opinion...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:19:54 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1]   Go Up