GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:54:20 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding "gesource_run.exe"  (Read 9136 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Question regarding "gesource_run.exe"
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:53 pm »

Hi everyone, hope your all well... Been a while since I posted on here but I need to ask, does "gesource_run.exe" usually install with Goldeneye Source? I can't say I have ever noticed it before in the folder or in processes, I have always started the mod through Steam. The reason I ask is my Antivirus (Webroot) immediately quarantined it after installation, but yet Goldeneye Source still seems to run without it, I'm thinking you guys created it as an alternative method of starting the mod, just want to make sure it hasn't been created by an unknown source, thanks.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: Question regarding "gesource_run.exe"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:01:08 pm »

Where did you download the game from?  There should be the option to make desktop and start menu shortcuts during installation but gesource_run.exe isn't anything I'm familiar with, and I have no such program on my computer despite installing 5.0 from all of our mirrors during release and for several months afterward.

It's possible it's benign and maybe added for convenience but you're completely correct in that the game shouldn't need any such programs to run, so I'd like to investigate and get back to you.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:58:04 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded on release from Moddb., and it's been on my backup drive ever since, I have always used that same download to install. I just ran a scan, and it comes back clean, but when I install it, I get a warning from my antivirus to tell me it's quarantined "gesource_run.exe", weird. I have always used Avast, but after hearing such good things about Webroot, decided to give it go, on first scan it found a hell of a lot of malware on my PC that avast didn't even notice... Is it possible my backup was injected somehow?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:00:23 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:52:44 pm »

After some investigation and asking around it turns out this is just a simple utility program that comes with the installer, nothing to worry about.  Some scanners on Virustotal don't seem to like it very much, maybe because it's accessing the registry to get your game path so it can launch the game, but it should be harmless.  That being said I might remake it for 5.1, not sure exactly what's triggering some of the antivirus scanners but it's usually a good idea to try and keep them happy.

For the moment, it's not actually needed to run the game so feel free to delete it if you're launching the game through steam.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »

Ok. Thanks for your help  :)

malacky

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • malacky has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:05 am »

EDIT: I'm sorry for being dumb, I didn't complete step 3 of the installation guide here:
http://wiki.geshl2.com/goldeneye/installation/

I downloaded 5.0.6 from moddb too, and after installing, I click the desktop link, and windows tells me that it's a broken link to gesource_run.exe. I go to the link folder but there's no gesource_run.exe. What executable should I be running to run the game? I've tried to install twice now. And I don't see any executables in sourcemods/gesource/bin/

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:36:05 am by malacky »
Pages: [1]   Go Up