GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:06:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lightwave?  (Read 5949 times)

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • aaronmarsh632 has no influence.
lightwave?
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »

Hi,

is there a way to import existing models into lightwave for editing and export to use in ge?

thanks

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: lightwave?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:17:25 pm »

You need to be a lot more specific and provide some usefull information.
1. you don't even mention which version of lightwave you're talking about. LW11 or even an ancient amiga version?
2. "lightwave to smd" first hit on google: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lightwave

As it seems you better use LW7 or LW8 if you need to animate models, otherwise LW9.5 is still working for static meshes.

As for importing i guess common file formats such as .obj or .dxf are supported, LW11 is using collada (.dae) as it's own file format. A file format which is supported by allmost every major 3D app.
There might be also some file format converter scripts available to import other formats as well.

So if you ask "is there a way" i have to say: yes.

But the real question is, what is the best way to transfer the data without destroying vital information like UV map, smoothing/normals, maybe animation, bone rotation, weightmaps etc.

This is something you might be able to find out by trial and error combined with research on the internet.
I've done this for my 3D app. and it gave me hard times till i found the right answeres and plugins.

Just one thing: direct export from your app to smd is always superior to exporting to a common format and use an other app for the smd export.

The vertex manipulation tool and smd importer/exporter are the two things i don't wanna miss anymore on my app.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:18:58 pm by kraid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up